StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
i was looking at these too. my problem is in winter....summer ok <less bulky sh!t covering my manly shoulders.
dont know how good these are, but the workmanship, et al on there mufflers is superb.
keep us posted if you decide to pull the trigger.....

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I made my own brackets out of stock aluminum, and moved each mirror out about 7/8". I also removed the rivet that on the mirror stalk (below the tightening brass cone) and moved the mirror up 7/16".
These changes allow me to see fully behind me with each mirror now.

cheers

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
hrmmmmm... I have the Napoleon III aftermarket mirrors on my BigStrom and I have no issues looking at my shoulders/elbows.. just adjusted them out a bit... I think the arms are longer on the Napoleons than stock..

I like Walker's stuff, but for what he's asking for 2 little machined pieces of metal, you can practically buy some sweet Nap's like I have.

I guess b/c I don't have super-wide shoulders, and it's not a problem for me, I can't see spending money to relocate the stockers when my aftermarket mirrors kick butt already. Personally, I'd spend the money on new mirrors, if you are still using the stockers. $54 + s/h seems a bit steep for what you are getting there.. IMHO.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Holeshot Mirror Extenders

Howdy. I original had the Napoleon Mirrors and thought they weren't as clear as the original and did not give me a wide enough view past my shoulders. When I returned them, Dale at Holeshot recomended it try the mirror extenders. I'm very happy with them! They are mounted to the stock mirrors.

You can see some pictures at:
http://www.pinkman.org/Suzuki/v-strom.htm

R

·
0 Posts
For what's it's worth, the mirror stems are just tubing. You can cut them and make extensions from parts in the plumbing section at the nearest hardware store. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
just the other day,i put new handlebars on the 1k.
they are 1.?" wider than stock,i was going to trim them off,but when i went on the first ride,,it was easily noticable that when newly adjusted.....i had all the mirror width i could want. (an od angle though))
the dumb thing is,i also have a winning bid on ebay for some wideners,,maybe they will make the view even better,i dont know. or maybe i wont win,if i dont,,i doubt ill ever think of getting them again.
are mine perfectly wide enough?? i dunno, are they 100% better than stock?? yep
now the bars....... thats another story.
i bought the MSR high atv bars,as recomended by a handfull of other vstrom riders,,well the ones about my size/height.
ill need to put more miles on them,,im kinda not positive as of yet.

but they are steel and cost me about 19$ plus shipping. so i realy cant complain to much.

im not sure if the handlebar vibration improved or not. maybe more miles will tell.

good luck,
roy

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the Holeshot extenders, and like them very much. I agree that they are a little spendy for a couple of brackets, but the benefit is enormous.

R

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem, could see my helment and shoulders, but not the guy doing 80- coming up on my 5...
I bought some cheapie, black painted, plastic and metal OBLONG mirrors..can get them from J. C. Whitney, about $19 each...look great, work great, cost...very great.

sawguard. baton rouge, La

M

·
0 Posts
I had the same issue with the stock mirrors. I tried several solutions, from fabricated brackets to bar end mirrors. None of them provided both the 6 o'clock view and the 3-5 and 7-9 blindspot indicators.

I found a set of 10mm threaded mirrors with an 8" stalk at JCWhitney. As ordered they have a flat mirror (very limited view) and vibrate too much. Fortunatly, Advanced Auto sells a convex mirror that fits these perfectly, and...viola. The Advanced Auto mirrors stick on the flat mirror using double sided tape and now I have the full rearward visibility for protecting my 6, and my blindspots are covered too. The added mass of the mirrors corrects the vibration issue. All for about $35.

Feels like a new bike, and I am not nearly as nervous at stoplights now that I can see what is coming up behind me.

Mc2guy

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can make some extenders for cheap!

Using hex stock, taper one end down and thread it to fit into teh stock mirror mount. The other end has a tapped hole to accept the mirror. Then powdercoat it black.

Shouldn't cost much at all. Anyone know the thread size? Assume it's a 10mm X 1.25 pitch. Also, how long should the piece be?

Be happy to make a couple if anyone wants to test them out.

Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts