StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine just arrived. Peeled back the rubber on the mirror stem and put a fair sized adjustable on the lower nut. No give, no way. Same on the upper. My 15 box end didn't fit so I went looking for a 16. Sure nuff they don't supply those in those damn kits. My next one is a 17. Didn't really want to put a hammer to an adjustable but still might. But first...
Has anyone put these on? Any trouble getting the mirrors loose? Doesn't look like reverse threads in there so I'm going for counter clockwise. Haven't tried heat yet.:confused:

·
Registered
646 Posts
You may want to use two wrenchs, one on each nut, the lower kept still while undoing the top one first then loosen the lower, that's how I did my 650. Also, may be a reverse nut, but I've found them to be on the left side only and mostly non-Japanese...............

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It was the left side I tried. Wish I knew that for sure. And, sure don't have to worry bout the lower nut moving. Nothing is moving! Will try the right side to see if it frees up.
Wow. just put some extreme pressure to the right side and no go. Took a couple of swings with the hammer and started to mark up the nuts.
Guess I'm off to find a couple of 16 mms

OK. Just talked to the dealer. No reverse threads but it is a two wrench deal and you have to break the top free first.

Cheez. I'm just not getting anywhere. 16mms are too small. 17 are sloppy big. What is that? Must be American or something. I did put two 17 wrenches on and reefed like Hell. Again, no give. I'll be getting the torch out next.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I put the mirror extenders on when I first got the bike. They went on without a hitch.

They completely transform the rearward view.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, unless you've got a different bike than me. Like I said, 16 mm was just a bit shy and 17 mm was sloppy big. 21, no way.
Anyhoo...it's done. With more than a hitch. Turns out the mirrors themselves are reverse threads. The nut underneath is regular. On both sides. A mighty heave on the left had it let go. That was cranking it clockwise. The other side still would not give. And I did DW it. Threw on a hefty pair of Vise Grips and gave it a few whacks with the hammer and it final let go.
So, great. Threw on the extenders with the provided Allen bolts and they snugged up nicely. The mirrors, not so much. The first few threads I could feel drag and they got tighter and tighter after that. Both would not go in more than six turns. I backed them out and WD'd them but it didn't help. Put them both back on to as far as they would go (about half way in) and tightened down the locking nut. These are Motechs and are nicely machined but I am wondering if the painted threads has anything to do with it. Either that or the threads are slightly mismatched. I would suggest thread chasing but where you gonna find a chaser for a backwards thread?:confused:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have video on my site with instructions for installing mirror extenders.

The 2014 DL1000, like the Glee, has left hand threads on the upper nut and right hand threads on the lower nut.\

Check the video for more details.

Mirror Extender Instructions - AdventureTech, LLC.

It should be the same no matter whose mirror extenders you install.
And so it is. Man, if I'd only seen that video an hour ago. Feelin like the world's biggest fool right now. And on the world wide web too. with all the world to see.:var_38:
Did not install the lower nut. Went out, unscrewed the mirrors. Was able to rethread the lower nut and screw the mirrors in on top. Cheesh!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had them on my 03 so I knew about the reverse thread, mine went on slicker than goose poop on a pump handle. I got them both with Ram Mounts, such a barfgain. Thanks Rick for a great product.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I put the mirror extenders on when I first got the bike. They went on without a hitch.

They completely transform the rearward view.
Do the extenders place the mirrors out far enough to stop the wind from blasting directly down on to the back of your hand?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Do the extenders place the mirrors out far enough to stop the wind from blasting directly down on to the back of your hand?
I can't say, because I haven't really noticed the wind off the mirrors in the first place. I've ridden in mid 40's and I've been fine with the stock setup. If you don't need the full extension you can mount these more at a 45 degree angle and have the mirrors farther back.

I always wear gloves. Living in NH I carry 3 to 4 pairs of gloves (mesh, non-mesh, rain, and cold). If I ride to work I can leave in the morning in the low 40's and ride home in the 90's and call it a normal summer day.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Mirror extenders are perfect for visibility, and a great place for a ball mount. On the old Vee they also cut down on wind noise from shield, but I didn't get that affect on my 2014, I switched to a Givi Airflow to fix the wind on helmet issues. I always wear gloves and have hand guards so never notice any wind deflecting from mirrors down.

One bad thing I discovered is if you have Oxford heated grips and you hammer the mounting bracket flat and mount the controller on left mirror mount, and your mirror extension has a ball mount on it, if your bike falls over that extended mount can pivot and bend your Oxford controller mount. It is best to have a non-ball extender on that side.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I hadn't noticed the wind blast before I read about it somewhere on this forum. I have the Suzuki hand guards and always wear gloves, but if you use your left hand, and move it around above your right glove at any sort of speed, you will feel the downward blast right on top of the back of your hand. So I'm only thinking, that in cold weather, this would only add to any discomfort. Just a minor niggle, but if the extenders do move that blast outside the hand, then they could serve a secondary purpose.

·
Registered
122 Posts
rick's mirror extenders make a big difference I can see more than elbows.

having said that watched his video and thought would be easy install neither I or my husband could loosen the mirrors without potentially damaging bolt. I cheated and just added to the dealer install of accessories well worth it.

deb

·
Registered
359 Posts
rick's mirror extenders make a big difference I can see more than elbows.

having said that watched his video and thought would be easy install neither I or my husband could loosen the mirrors without potentially damaging bolt. I cheated and just added to the dealer install of accessories well worth it.

deb
You definitely feel that there is something fundamentally wrong with loosening to the right. It makes it feel like a lot more force is necessary to remove them. It really isn't anymore then if it was normal it is just in the wrong direction and if you aren't 100% sure that you are doing it correctly it feels like way too much force.

·
Registered
600 Posts
And so it is. Man, if I'd only seen that video an hour ago. Feelin like the world's biggest fool right now. And on the world wide web too. with all the world to see.:var_38:
Did not install the lower nut. Went out, unscrewed the mirrors. Was able to rethread the lower nut and screw the mirrors in on top. Cheesh!
Toad, don't feel bad.
I posted on here a few weeks ago about the same thing.
Tried and tried to get the cinch nut loose only to discover reverse threads.
I felt like an idiot too.
Who would have thought!
A nasty little joke on us by those Suzy-Ooky engineers.:yikes::biggrinjester:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Cheez. I'm just not getting anywhere. 16mms are too small. 17 are sloppy big. What is that? Must be American or something. I did put two 17 wrenches on and reefed like Hell. Again, no give. I'll be getting the torch out next.
What is up with this anyway? I was able to remove them with my 17mm's, but I didn't like the fit at all. None of my wrenches, american or metric fit these properly.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I used two 17mm wrenches and one fit better than the other. I used the sloppy one to hold and the other to loosen and tighten.

I am digging the extenders, I can now see what is not only in the lanes next to me but what is behind me as well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I used two 17mm wrenches and one fit better than the other. I used the sloppy one to hold and the other to loosen and tighten.

I am digging the extenders, I can now see what is not only in the lanes next to me but what is behind me as well.
Yea, I really like them also.
Much better rear visability.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's funny when you have them on for a year and you don't even notice them until someone hit this thread again. Having full rear view just eliminates something that takes up too much of your concentration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts