StromTrooper banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Loosen the top nut by turning it clockwise as you look down on it and swivel to stalk where you want it. Then tighten the nut in the other direction. You may need to hold the bottom part in place for the final tightening as it can loosen if you turn the top nut too hard.
OK I must be really stupid cause I can't figure this out.

I assume you are referring to the *bottom* nut in the second sentence?

My issue is I get the mirror where I like it but the bottom nut isn't tight. Tightening it without moving the stalk doesn't work as both nuts move together. I'm stuck with one mirror off 90 degrees where it should be or flopping around completely loose. Wtf???

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You need to loosen the top nut from the bottom nut. Then tighten the bottom nut to the mount. Finally, tighten the top nut.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I finally got it. What a PITA. And I have a nice scratch on my signal mount box to show for my efforts. At least now my mirrors shouldn't come spinning around every time I hit a bump.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just found out the Vee2 uses the same mirrors so this thread gets moved to the general forum and re-titled.

·
Registered
299 Posts
does the above left hand/right hand mirror threading apply to a 2009 dl650/wee?

sorry for the noobie question.

better to ask then wrestle, strip the bolt and wonder why i didn't ask beforehand!

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No. Wee mirrors are entirely right hand threaded. The base screws into the perch and the brass shaft taper gets squeezed into the base by the cover piece.

·
Registered
299 Posts
No. Wee mirrors are entirely right hand threaded. The base screws into the perch and the brass shaft taper gets squeezed into the base by the cover piece.

pat-

thank you for the info.

i ask because i am having a REAL HARD time getting my right mirror off so i can install the extender.

i guess some squirts of wd40 and try not to chew up the retaining nut.

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

·
Registered
107 Posts
pat-

thank you for the info.

i ask because i am having a REAL HARD time getting my right mirror off so i can install the extender.

i guess some squirts of wd40 and try not to chew up the retaining nut.

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

I've discovered that Suzuki over tightens EVERYTHING. Thought I never would get the mirrors broken loose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’m obviously being very stupid here but I’ve just purchased pair of alternative mirrors for my 2017 650XT off Amazon which have ‘Standard RH M10 threads’ and which according to the literature fit Suzuki motorbikes.

However, the last picture posted here has completely confused me.....

It appears to show the black mirror arm with the plastic cover, a sliding nut, a tapered brass fitting on the end of the arm (held in place with a rivet), all of which screws into a ‘fitting’ which I assume has a tapered core to accept the arm. As you tighten this, the tapers lock together in whatever position is required.
BUT, the thread on the end of this fitting looks VERY small, certainly not M10 (if you can agree with the scale): more like M6!!
Has anyone with a 2017 650 recently replaced their mirrors and can confirm this?
I don’t want to disassemble everything and risk scratching the finish if they’re not going to fit.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone8

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,617 Posts
Can't help with an L7, unfortunately, but I'm doing the Aprilia Tuono mirror swap on my K7 DL1000 today.

I had to read up a bit to convince myself that the stud is actually right-hand thread because it's on so darn tight.

My set of Tuono mirrors came from Amazon, and look different from yours.

FWIW, if anyone is having a tough time figuring out what year is threaded how, it's summarized on AdventureTech's page on their mirror extenders:

Mirror Extender Instructions - AdventureTech, LLC.

I found this extremely helpful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My 2017 650XT definitely has LEFT-HAND threads on the nut between the arm and the fitting, and then standard Right-Hand thread between the fitting and the handlebar mounts.
Changed my mirrors yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone8

·
Vendor
4,740 Posts
Lolopd,

They will fit. All V-Stroms have RH threads in the mirror stalks that mirrors screw into. It is only the cinch bolts on the stock mirrors after 2012 That have left hand threads. Change the mirrors and the threads on the stock mirror cinch nuts become irrelevant.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts