StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather was decent here in West TN today. 70ish, a bit overcast, but still nice. Finished up at work early and hit the road. No real plan, but after covering a 100 miles of two-lane, I ended up at the Hatchie Wildlife Refuge viewing area. (info)

None of the roads I went down were paved. They were all gravel. (my route is the red line)

Lake side photo. (pre crash)

More road

Got some nifty new SW Motech crash bars yesterday. Had no idea I would get to test ‘em so soon!

The Strom got sleepy and took a dirt nap here: (it was a bit more muddy than I thought)
I've read that they were rather lazy and like to take naps often.
Mine was smart and decided on a nice soft spot to take a snooze.

Easy to see what happend. I was turning around and... Wheel spin, too late, too heavy. Squish. 0.0001 MPH.
Still more fun than being at work

Post crash photo: No broken signals, no damaged side cases, no scuffed plastic, no nothing...I did have to re-adjust the left side mirror, but that was about it.

Dirt!

The end.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
VStrom looks nice in White.

Looks like a fun day trip.

No biggy with dumping it. I haven't had my first dump yet, but it will happen one of these days.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a great looking Wee you got there.
Thank you.

VStrom looks nice in White.

Looks like a fun day trip.

No biggy with dumping it. I haven't had my first dump yet, but it will happen one of these days.

Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. I really like the white as well.
No biggy at all. I bought this thing to have fun on, and so far the Wee and I are doing just that. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Fun ride - those carefree dirt road romps are perfect for the Strom!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great looking Wee

I enjoyed your adventure. I have a black '11 and love it. I went to the AMA Museum today in Pinkerington and then went to German Village in Columbus and had a great meal. Its deffinetly worth fighting the traffic for. 250 miles round trip. A great day. By the way, is that a Bestem case you have? Also I might recommend a fender extender to keep the crap off your exhaust.
Take it easy.
Pappy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I enjoyed your adventure. I have a black '11 and love it. I went to the AMA Museum today in Pinkerington and then went to German Village in Columbus and had a great meal. Its deffinetly worth fighting the traffic for. 250 miles round trip. A great day. By the way, is that a Bestem case you have? Also I might recommend a fender extender to keep the crap off your exhaust.
Take it easy.
Pappy
Thank you
I plan to get up there sooner or later and check it out.

Yes, that is a Bestem. I modified the base per member suggestions to add a bit more "passenger posterior" room, and re-wired it with some additional led's.

I've been steadily farkalizing and the fender extension is on the list...Center stand is next in line. :yesnod:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Off-Road Stupidity

My old bikes used to try to get me in trouble the normal way. They would whisper in my helmet; "Faster!"

The Wee doesn't do that. It says; "Hey, where does that road go?"

Downhill to the lake:

Looking back up the hill contemplating the error of my ways.

Nice view from down there I suppose.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The return of Mini Adventure Part II

I went on/off/on/off roading up in Lauderdale county TN today. I was doing some GPS testing with a crazy route that was based on staying as close to the Mississippi river as possible. Little did I know a good portion of my day would be spent on gravel, dirt, and some interesting (but slippery) pavement hybrids the likes of which I've never seen. Pure fun!

Obligatory poor photography to follow:

Rest area near Ripley, TN.

Picnic area was still decorated for St. Paddy's day I suppose.

Photo op somewhere near a redneck ATV park. (I speak fluent redneck and understood every word they said. For instance "Yee Haw" means that they were excited by the exuberant performance exhibited by judicious throttle application of said ATV)

Garmin leading me to hells half acre.

Had no idea this was here. Hmm, wonder whats in there?

And here I thought Illinois Nazi's were bad...

View from Das Bridge.

...and a little further down, Ansel Adams can be seen in the mirror.

I learned to just keep it from 20 to 30 in second gear and let the bike gyrate around on the gravel like a drunken stripper.

No, I didn't go there...

Later on I ended up on Geat river road

I guess so-so river road just didn't have the same ring to it.
This is the Obion river I think.

J.T. and his (her?) Nazi buddy's Kryloned that bridge too...

The always popular "Jet on a stick" in Covington, Tn.

Till next time.:bom_freak:

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
I've noticed, that the older I get the sleepier my Strom gets.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same here. At least I ride slow now so maybe that will help. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Nice lookin ride and ride report, thanks for sharing. Your crash-bars have already paid for themselves. :thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Oh no she didn't!

Isn't this kinda sorta redundant.
Absolutely! As I slowly passed, I noticed a bunch of shirtless foul-mouthed drunks...and their boyfriends. Toto, we ain't in Kansas anymore. :yikes:

Great report, looks like a great ride.
Thanks, I'm having a wonderful time killing bugs with the Wee. I can't stay off the thing. :yesnod:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
On the loose again.

Yep, me again. Fayette and Hardeman County TN this time.

For those of you GPS nuts, here's a link to the GPX file of the route. https://www.box.com/s/51dd4efb9232f64ab0ec

As always, a few photos of my ride.

Courthouse in Somerville, TN.

Whiteville, TN

Whiteville cleaners. (!)

Rossville, TN

Rural folk just can't stop...shooting signs.

...Till next time :mod2_batman:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Imagine coming around this corner at speed...

And seeing this:

View was nice though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deadfall Road

Instead of boring you with photos of me boundering through the West Tennessee countryside, I've moved on to a new thing called video. I know, cRaZy right. All the cool kids are doing this video thing I hear. Of course they video themselves tagging water towers and crushing their manhood on handrails, so what do they know.

Um, and about that title. Only ten seconds or so is actually on Deadfall road but what a name. How could you NOT roll with that, huh?
Although it's no masterpiece, the audio that starts 'round the one minute mark ain't half bad.

'Till next time:beatnik:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks 8trackmind for the picture tour, I love them.
I used to ride my bicycle around those areas from North Memphis when I was a teen. One of my most beloved routes was a little section of the Great River Road. I would ride up to Shelby Forest then wind my way to Richardson Landing, to watch the standing waves of the Mississippi River because of the narrow gap there at that time. Thinking of early morning summer rides before it got hot, good times.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts