StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local hardware store yesterday and saw they had a rack of Milwaukee Tool-brand battery-powered heated jackets. The guy at the store gave them a glowing review, and I figured that was just to get me to drop $190 in his store for the jacket + battery & charger.

By chance, I went to a university football game later that day, and temps were in the low 30s. I happened to see about a dozen people walking around wearing these jackets (very obvious, due to the lighted on-off/temp-control buttons on the left chest). While most people at the game were bundled up like Sta-Puff Marshmallow people, the M12 owners seemed perfectly comfortable in their light jackets.

I approached one and asked him about it. He said he was perfectly comfortable, had been running the heat on the medium setting for around 3 hours, and still had plenty of battery life left.

Being a rider who likes to extend my season as much as possible, I've been seriously thinking about getting some heated gear. But I also prefer stuff that is multi-purpose. I was thinking this jacket might be something one could wear under riding gear.

I did find 1 online review of the jacket specifically for MC use, but it was from 7 years ago. At that time, they indicated the jacket was about twice the bulk of a traditional heated vest, and put out less heat than a hard-wired system (12v with the battery vs. 30v-40v for something like Gerbing gear). The consensus was it could be useful to take the edge off cool weather, and you'd probably want to use it under a pretty loose-fitting jacket.

I might end up adding this one to my Xmas gift list.

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
I'm waiting delivery of another Gerbing jacket. Supposed to be here Monday. I paid $204 at the Warming Store. I looked at a number of 'other brand' jackets but have had 2 other Gerbings that worked a number of years. Hopefully the new technology will have good heat dispersion. The other jackets I looked at all seemed to be ni-chrome heating element style and as shown in the pictures didn't have the same heat coverage the Gerbings seem to have.
I wanted something that didn't have it's own battery too. Plug and play into my existing controller.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I see that Gerbings now has micro wire, my old Gerbings liner was pre micro wire technology, I like my First Gear jacket liner better than the Gerbings I had, it's not only micro wire, it is also more wattage on high

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Multi-use is good but riding in the cold generally your feet and hands are the areas that need heat more than the core assuming you have a 3 season jacket.
Look at the functionality of the entire heated gear package before you jump.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a bunch of milwaukee m12 and m18 cordless tools and I've been very happy with them along with milwaukee service, since I already have 6 m12 battery's and three chargers I've looked into this as you can buy the clothing with or without the batteries and chargers so save some money if you buy "tool only". Batteries and chargers are the Achilles heel of cordless tools and it used to be if your batteries went or you charger died it almost didn't make sense to replace them cost wise, just buy a whole new setup but that's changed as almost all milwaukee tools can be purchased tool only and the batteries are economical to buy.
Myself I'd probably buy the m12 heated vest rather than the full jacket or hooded sweatshirt because it would still fit under my regular gear.
milwaukee also makes a cigarette lighter adapter for the heated line of clothing so in theory you could just plug it in without using a battery at all but my attraction to the milwaukee heated vest was that it did run on batteries taking some of the load off the stroms weak electrical output leaving those available watts for some heated gloves or socks.
You should also be aware that Bosch and Dewalt also make heated clothing so if you already have compatible batteries they might be a better choice, that being said if you don't have any cordless tools then milwaukee is probably the best place to start, for example I have the m12 cordless 3/8 drive ratchet wrench and it's awesome.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I have NEVER found that to be the case, and I ride in sub freezing a lot
Interesting denial of physics....extremities always lose heat faster than the core especially in 100 kph windstreams.
Perhaps your 3 season jacket and layers are less than optimum if you need a heated jacket to ride in cold temps.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Interesting denial of physics....extremities always lose heat faster than the core especially in 100 kph windstreams.
Perhaps your 3 season jacket and layers are less than optimum if you need a heated jacket to ride in cold temps.

or maybe you need to wear better boots and gloves

your hands & feet are only cold cause yer not keeping your core warm, you are denying/fighting physiology and what the body does to survive, get a winter jacket instead of a 3 season jacket

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
Same as OydnaR. Gobs of miles and my extremities survived with a minimum of frostbite.
Having your core kept warm means the blood that flows out and back can do it's proper thing. Hand guards, heated grips and really good gloves help a lot.
It's the whole package that keeps the body happy while Mother Nature tries to kill you!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought a Milwaukee M12 heated hoodie last Christmas to try for riding use and general duty. I didn't want to add any unnecessary load to my old 1983 interceptor due to it's age, and of course the dirt bike has no battery or outlet. This one:

https ://www .milwaukeetool.ca/power-tools/cordless/301b-21

It was on sale for 40% off so pretty cheap to try it out, and I picked up a small drill-driver kit that was also on sale and came with two batteries and a charger for a better deal. Overall I'm happy with it, but here are a few points to keep in mind...

1. It is sold both individually or with the battery and chargers as a kit. Make sure you get the battery and a charger initially, and a second larger battery is good if you want to use it on high a lot, or all day long. There is a basic battery, high capacity (1.5x), and double capacity battery, but the shape of the double capacity means you won't fit it in your pocket.
2. It only heats the chest and back. Nothing in the arms, which I find would be nice on colder rides. Still helps though, and I find under a good riding jacket I seldom have to set it to high. it only last a couple of hours on high, but half a day on low with the basic battery.
3. The battery and holder are somewhat bulky, and sit in a little pocket in your lower back. The gear is bulky, plus the battery means you need a generous fitting riding jacket or shell to accommodate it all. I plan to make a patch cord to use off the new bike's 12v plug.
4. It is a little finicky to adjust the heat while riding. You have to press the logo on the chest precisely, and it is hard to do through a riding jacket. You also "hope" you get the setting right, as the led on the logo changes color to indicate the heat level, but you can't see it while riding.
5. Basic charger is bulky if you plan to take it on a trip, but charges fast (<1hr). There is a mini charger that doubles as the jacket battery holder and fits in the pocket, but it requires 3hrs or more for the high capacity batteries. It also has a USB output on it for charging your other stuff, and you could probably run it off an accessory port while you ride if you have installed one.
6. If you really want it to do everything, it can all get complex and expensive fast. Outweighs the cost of a good heated vest or jacket liner quickly, and still won't daisy chain other gear together like a proper system will. It is nice to just have a heated jacket for working around the house though, and it can charge your other stuff too while traveling.

So in summary, proper heated gear will do much more to keep you comfy, but if the price is right this gear does have a use and works well within it's obvious limitations. :)

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
I got my Gerbing today. The Medium is a bit large on my ample little self but, hey, it gets warm and the old one didn't. Much mo bettah.
What to do with to aging Gerbing jackets that don't work too well? Sh-t can?

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
I've never felt the need for heated vest, of course I don't ride below freezing either. LOL

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I've never felt the need for heated vest, of course I don't ride below freezing either. LOL
I wear heated gear if the temps go below 50°. I don't necessarily turn it on, but it allows me to ride with a lot less bulk that interferes with my range of motion

·
Registered
463 Posts
How to

Probably all 12v jacket liners are very thin, rayon or nylon thick enough to contain the very thin carbon wires used in today's garments. Next to the skin wear a relatively snug LS wool/silk shirt and then a snug 12v JL. The snugger the better. Over that I wear a thin jacket or nothing and then my usual First Gear leather or textile jacket. The power is surged into the JL by the controller so it's either full on or full off. The more the power is on the hotter the JL will get. You get the most out of the JL by having it as close to the skin as possible so any insulation will reduce it's effectiveness. You could wear a LS cotton shirt and it could work better because it will get damp so heat will go though it better than the wool/silk. I've had a cheap JL for 3 years now and it works fine although I have to use heated gloves too. The Seattle Area is the fog champion of the lower 48 and is a tough environment as the heat you have is radiated and conducted out of your body in 99% humidity very efficiently.

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
I wear heated gear if the temps go below 50°. I don't necessarily turn it on, but it allows me to ride with a lot less bulk that interferes with my range of motion
Understandable, but the latest base layers are so thin and efficient, I personally see no need for heated gear.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Understandable, but the latest base layers are so thin and efficient, I personally see no need for heated gear.
I know, and you can get some pretty good stuff cheap at walmart, I got some excellent high performance long johns (I take 2xl), I can never find the same thing in a shirt cause there, I take a 3xl, I'll have to order online, I spose, but even there a lot of vendors only go to 2xl, same problem with gloves

I really have to find a new pair of winter gloves, my favorite pair that has gotta be nearly 15 years, old are getting kinda ratty, gloves I won't buy unless I can try them on, I already have several pair that I can get on, but are not comfortable

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
"of course I don't ride below freezing either."

Not by choice fur sur, man. But sometimes cold gets in the way of going someplace nice. Or I forget to check the weather.
It's an expensive add to the wardrobe but the heated stuff certainly makes inclement travel a bit less tortuous.
It beats cutting car tubes into leg protectors and stuffing newspapers in the jacket.:surprise:

·
Administrator
13,736 Posts
I have my doubts as to the practicality of battery operated gear on a bike unless you are only using it for very short trips near home. Riding in colder weather at speed can take a lot of power to stay warm compared to sitting at a football game. I can see the batteries going dead while you are on a ride with the potential result of a cold ride at best and hypothermia at worst. Pus it is so easy and convenient to plug in heated gear.

It's very hard to beat Warm n Safe heated gear. A couple of years ago I broke a wire for my heated gloves on my heated Warm n Safe jacket when I slammed a door on it. My fault entirely. I soldered it and it was fine for the last year or more. A month ago I noticed that glove getting cold again and I re-soldered my previous solder connection and contacted Warm n Safe asking if they had a replacement wiring harness I could buy and explained how I broke the wire. They offered to repair it free of charge but but I insisted I could do it myself. Next thing you know they send me out a new harness.

The company does an incredible job of backing their product (try getting warranty with the new company with the "Gerbing" name on it a year after you bought something from them!)

The product works extremely well and is designed by people that ride and as a result works great for riders. (Their "Remote control" for their heated gear is brilliant! and their waterproof "Ultimate Men's Touring Gloves" are super comfortable, warm and have proven to be totally waterproof. (So far the coldest I have ridden with them is -13°c or about 9°f and they kept my hands warm behind the factory hand guards.)

..Tom

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Absolutely agree with Tom. On motorcycle hard wired gear only. And do not agree on multi jackets (summer, 3 season, winter). One good (Klim in my case), well ventilated Gore - Tex waterproof jacket and heated liner works for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts