StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone planning a ride over the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado this summer, early or late is better. I just read that they have a scheduled chip seal project on highway 550 between Silverton and Ouray from early June to early July. Work will be weekdays, but the road could be junk on the weekends. Nothing messes up a nice day of carving up twisties like a chip seal project.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I am planning on being there the end of July, so hopefully all will be completed. What was the snowfall like this year? Did the San Juans get anything like the Denver area?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks for the report. Will have to plan around riding 550 this summer. Does not sound like fun. In the end, the road will be more fun though. May put off coming out until September.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know they chip seal that stretch once a year, thanks for the heads up on when. I hate when I go out for a nice ride and find they just chip sealed..:thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up. I am planning on being there the end of July, so hopefully all will be completed. What was the snowfall like this year? Did the San Juans get anything like the Denver area?
San Juans only got about 65% of normal snowpack this year. Then the winds blew in the dust from Utah and coated the snow, accelerating the melt; so expecting a dry summer.

Like bleedgrn stated, will be nicer road when done with the construction. Just don't like the orange cones and workers with orange vests holding signs that read 'SLOW' or 'STOP' when I'm riding :furious:

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
The state chip sealed the last 15 miles of Hwy 2 near Wrightwood and I got a flat from the chip while trying to wear out the side of a worn tire. Phooey, chip sucks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts