StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, some of you will know what I'm talking about, some wont. A lot, but not all military bases require a sticker on the vehicle to grant access. Air Force and Army dont use them anymore, but the Navy still does.

I dont want to stick it on the fork, and am not looking forward to removing the VA state inspection stickers on there now. So, I'm going to make up a plate to bolt to existing locations on the left front fork. I was wondering if anyone else has done this already and has feedback as the best location.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I made a plate for my BMW F650 and attached it to the lower left fork with bolts. I used aluminum plate that I cut with shears. There was a plastic guard over the fork that I simply drilled into to mount the plate.

I had a Honda CBR929RR that an airframes enlisted man made me a similar plate with a 90 degree piece that was pop riveted to it allowing me to use the axle pinch bolts on the forks to mount it.

I did not use a plate on my Wee. I put the base sticker on the fork. That being said, I am certain you can find an appropriate bolt or mopunting position to make a plate out of aluminum and bolt or attach it on the lower fork area.

I will look at mine when I get off work and suggest something for you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked up a 6X8 sheet of welding steel at Lowes to play with. Only cost 4 bucks. I'll post up my thoughts and progress.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah, but getting it off later can be a pain, thats why I'm making a plate.
Wish I would have done that, because it's never going to come off. I put it on the fender. Guess I'll have to keep the bike until the stick wears out....

Post Pictures when done....
Guns

·
Registered
413 Posts
I picked up a 6X8 sheet of welding steel at Lowes to play with. Only cost 4 bucks. I'll post up my thoughts and progress.
Aluminum works well and is adequate for mounting a plate. It is easier to cut than steel and doesn't rust.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
May not be how........

May not be how it looks, but it looks like it can come off with the removal of
1ea. 4 mm socket head bolt ?? I do not know the current specifications but While I was Active Duty @ NAVSUBSUPFAC/Nlon we needed to be unable to remove the plate without removal of the front wheel.....Cant believe they would allow a vehicle access pass to be that easy to get[ read Steal] now?... But I've been wrong before...:rolleyes:..

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, thats still the spec. And they could very well tell me its no good. Tons of bikes on base have such plates. I m ight ad something anti-tamper if I add a bottom support. Just did a test drive up to about 80-90, and it was fine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As long as it's bolted on it's good.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Nice workmanship I might ad!... I had to re-do my first plate due to the regs.. I made it near impossible to get the plate off!!.:rolleyes:.....
So some one stole my whole bike !:( [A Tv/radio traffic Helo in Jacksonville Fla spotted it 3 days later in a pond at a golf course ]....Oh well .

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice workmanship I might ad!... I had to re-do my first plate due to the regs.. I made it near impossible to get the plate off!!.:rolleyes:.....
So some one stole my whole bike !:( [A Tv/radio traffic Helo in Jacksonville Fla spotted it 3 days later in a pond at a golf course ]....Oh well .
They want to get picky, I'll safety wire the darn thing:) Not so much of an issue anymore, since all bases are now %100 ID check. Air Force and Army have actually done away with them. Heres a quick shot of the finished plate, it was late, I'll try for a better one in the next day or so.

A few details. The foward hole has a rubber washer behind it to protect the fender. The aft hole is a little oversized to allow adjustment, since I was to lazy to make detailed measurements. The bottom hangs free, so I aded two little rubber adhesive bumpers, to protect the fork if it wobbled a lot in the wind. Doesnt seem to up to 80-90, since I can see it right down through the faring, made the test ride much easier:)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to follow this up. Been closing on three years now. Plate still works fine, and no one has ever questioned it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looks like you'll need a renewal in June. Do you have the same safety training course requirements that we have at NavalBase Kitsap in order to renew the sticker? We are required to have passed a MSF rider safety course. Certificate for the course is only good for 3 years and needs to be retaken before getting a new sticker. Stickers are never issued for longer than the validity of the course certificate. Its a real pain in the rear at times.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rules on requals are pretty cut and dried for contractors and civil servants and active duty guys, but a bit fuzzy on us retireees. I will see in June:)

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Aluminum works well and is adequate for mounting a plate. It is easier to cut than steel and doesn't rust.
That's what I did when the AF required them. 1/8" Al plate. IIRC I mounted it to the lower caliper bolt

·
Registered
161 Posts
The rules on requals are pretty cut and dried for contractors and civil servants and active duty guys, but a bit fuzzy on us retireees. I will see in June:)
What ever happened to this reg:
DoDI 6055.04
Enclosure 3 (4) (f)(1)(d) Civilian visitors or contracted laborers that are properly licensed to ride a motorcycle shall not be required to receive service sponsored training, or to prove that they have taken other motorcycle training in order to operate a motorcycle on a DoD installation.

That made perfect sense - so they probably got rid of it :headbang:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I work on Ft. Meade (in Maryland) and registered my Wee when I first got there. I believe I had to show my MSF course completion card before getting the base decal, but I am not sure and can't remember. Anyways, I looked around for a good spot to put the base sticker and finally gave up and threw it under the seat in a plastic bag. Been on-and-off the base hundreds of times with no fuss at the gates. These stickers don't really seem to be an issue like back in the old days.

On a similar note, the hard part is pulling out my ID card to give to the gate guard while wearing proper riding gloves, and than securing it once he gives it back to me. I have one of those bright yellow ICON safety vests that have a 'military specific' plastic card holder made with a velcro backing. You can slip your ID card inside it, but this makes the guards cranky, and they want to take it out. All this while the dependent officer wife behind me is throwing her hands because everything is taking to long.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts