StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles can you reasonably run per day on a trip and still enjoy life?

I'm leaning toward 400-600 depending on the road/weather for extended days. I don't want to over do it and end up making it a test of will ya know?

I know peeps do a ton more on 1-2 day trips but i'm thinking about sustained riding. Say 7+ days in a row.

I know there are ton of guys running long trips on here so I'm curious what you aim for when doing routes.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Shoot for 8-10 hrs/day in the saddle IMO. Miles are less important than hrs. Typically that will be about 300-500 miles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
After several 1000+ mile per day rides, I think 600 miles per day is plenty. If you happen upon something interesting along the way forget about the mileage.

R

·
0 Posts
I think that all depends on where you are riding.
If you are pounding along in the Prairies it's not hard to keep up longer higher mileage days.
On the other hand if you are prowling the back roads in Southern British Columbia or Northern Idaho, you'll find yourself way down on daily mileage.

Wrestling a heavily laden bike through twisting narrow roads is sorta tiring and you may opt to slow down and enjoy the 8 to 10 hour days like eye. surgeon said.
The guys pulling big miles are going somewhere. They aren't touring any more than a long haul trucker.

·
Registered
392 Posts
miles per day

It's different for every rider, most everyone can comfortably do 300 mile days, some can do 1000 mile days, not many.

On some rides going for distance is cool, but if the scenery and roads are excellent shorter miles may well make for more memories.

Take a look at the iron butt site, lots of good statistics there.

Bill H.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think it also depends on whether you're moteling or camping -- and -- whether or not you have a predetermined (reserved) stopping point for the night.

Camping probably reduces the available riding time by as much as an hour per day. The teardown in the morning and set up in the evening just takes more time than walking into a motel room and shutting the door.

Having a reserved stopping point (either a Motel 6 or KOA, it doesn't make a difference) dictates the end point for the day. Having one eliminates the time involved with finding a place to stay once you decide to stop. However, it eliminates the flexibility for schedule or route changes.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
How many miles another person can do in a day is about as meaningless as asking how fast people can run a mile. All that matters is how many miles YOU can do in a day. The variables about the types of roads and how often you stop to enjoy the scenery are valid but the bottom line is your personal physical condition.

My suggestion would be to go out and find out before you schedule 7 consecutive days of it. Head out the interstate for about 250 miles, or the secondaries for a couple of hundred, turn around and go home. When you get there you'll know how many miles YOU can do in a day and that's all that counts.

I'd also strongly recommend a day off in the middle. Seven days straight on a bike is a long time, especially if you've never done it before.

For me it's about 700 on interstates or 400 on secondaries.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
For me, I usually make the first day the longest day (700-750 miles) and then drop that down to around 400-500 miles after that. But I agree that it completely depends on where you are riding. Interstate is easier to get long milage days, twisty secondary roads you will be lucky to get 300 miles. As eye.surgeon said make it about time not miles, 8-10 hours will be plenty.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
How many miles can you reasonably run per day on a trip and still enjoy life?

I'm leaning toward 400-600 depending on the road/weather for extended days. I don't want to over do it and end up making it a test of will ya know?

I know peeps do a ton more on 1-2 day trips but i'm thinking about sustained riding. Say 7+ days in a row.

I know there are ton of guys running long trips on here so I'm curious what you aim for when doing routes.
A 400 mile day for several days is easily done and still enjoyable. A 600 mile day for several days will wear on you...rather quickly. Remember too, it's not really about how fast/long you go. What will kill your progress is how fast/long you stop. If you take 30 minutes for a pee-break several times a day, your day's progress is shot in the foot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
250 to 350 makes a nice run. if your on the road by 8am you have time for lunch at that out of the way café on the roadside, you can say hey whats that and actually stop and look, and still make it to the town you want to set up camp in and set your tent before it gets completely dark. Worst case scenario is that you make up to much time and you can take a side ride somewhere.

I have been on rides where we had a tight mileage schedule, and when it gets blown all hell you loose hotel/camp rev. people stressed about getting home late, they start over riding themselves to make up time, which is never good. Its just TOO MUCH like work.

Its a vacation right? Plan ahead take your time and see everything in between A and B not just B.

I am planing a trip to Prudhoe AK it will take my friend and I about 30 days. Yah its a long time but if all I wanted was to ride hard, be stressed out, and see some cold water and dirt I could do that anywhere. Adventure isn't the destination its the trip.

If you need more time take smaller distance trips I have a friend that has seen every state on his bike but he trailers it to each state and then rides around, he even rents storage places and leaves his bike flys home and comes back in a month or 2 just to pick up riding again. Like he says "life's short, but if you live like there's no tomorrow you might be right".

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Just did a 3,000 mile trip with only about 700 on the interstate. 300 was not enough, 500 was to much. Got kinda brain dead after 400, not a good thing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I guess it depends on the area too... Riding in the northeast or southern califonia is going to be different than places like Nevada or Utah.

500 miles in the southwest is about right for me in the southwest. That would be staying at motels. Camping would drop the mileage down a bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did this in one day last Saturday:

Esplanada Cir, El Paso, TX 79932 to 602 Summerglen Dr, College Station, TX 77840 - Google Maps

It was the last leg of a 5 day trip. I was ready to get home, so just kept going. Had to take extended breaks becaus of the heat. 109 degrees F in some places along the route. Total trip was 2,700 miles. I felt fine after that day and never felt too tired, but ended up sleeping like 12 hours that night. So, it was probably too much with the heat and such. Averaged about 480 miles per day for the rest of the trip. Didn't really pay that much attention to time or destination goals. Just road until someone in the group said they wanted to stop for the night and then found a place to stay in the next town.

All I can give for advice is be flexible and pay attention to your mental and physical state. Don't be afraid to cut a day short because you have had enough. Much better to be late or have to change your plans than have a wreck because you ignored the signs that you had enough for that day.

Ride safe!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Depends on the roads! I think that 8 to 10 hrs is plenty. I've done a more than a few 500 mile days and was still pretty good, but by then I'm usually glad to be off the bike.

·
Registered
290 Posts
How many miles is really quite subjective.. As mentioned, flatland vs twisty mountains throw a curve ball in coming up with an accurate answer.. I normally ride til it gets close to dinner time, stop to get a hotel and then find a place to eat. It seems like I am normally back to the room between 8-9pm.. Ive done the 1000 miles days but have also ridden all day and only racked up 500..

·
Registered
399 Posts
600 miles in a ten hour day is about average for me. Make sure you take plenty of breaks every two to three hours. It gets a bit tiring in the more serious weather. High winds will tend to wear you down a bit.

I remember coming off of two days of riding through extreme wind in the midwest and having some pretty nasty wind burn on my face and neck (and I was wearing a full face).

Earplugs and as good an ergonomic setup as you can manage make the long day bearable (the seat that works for you and highway pegs and of course the right windshield bracket combo).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts