StromTrooper banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just got my bike last week, put 200 miles on it. I noticed the same thing, can't rev above 5000 unless I try really hard. did yours get better?
Not the person you asked to, but I also get a lot of vibrations below 3k rpm on lower gears, but surprisingly not in high gears like 4-6.

The engine becomes quite smooth past 3k under normal/small load (not accelerating hard). This coincides with the recommended gear shifts at appropriate speeds written in the owner manual (e.g. shift to 3rd gear at 54 kmh).

The engine/motorcycle also shakes quite a bit under heavy load (i.e. hard acceleration) in the lower gears (2-4) between 2k and 4k rpm I'd say.

I have never gone above 5k yet as I tend to shift quite early, but it's definitely smooth above 4k.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
673 Posts
Just got my bike last week, put 200 miles on it. I noticed the same thing, can't rev above 5000 unless I try really hard. did yours get better?
I think you have a different problem than Sexyman. What he is saying is that, since his bike is new, you're not supposed to rev it above 4,500 RPM. It can rev up far higher than that (super easy) but he won't rev it past that b/c it could hurt the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you have a different problem than Sexyman. What he is saying is that, since his bike is new, you're not supposed to rev it above 4,500 RPM. It can rev up far higher than that (super easy) but he won't rev it past that b/c it could hurt the engine.
ah. misunderstood his message. I think I'm still not used to the throttle response on DL1050. I have a MT09. throttle is heavy and a little twist can push it to 6, 7k RPM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not the person you asked to, but I also get a lot of vibrations below 3k rpm on lower gears, but surprisingly not in high gears like 4-6.

The engine becomes quite smooth past 3k under normal/small load (not accelerating hard). This coincides with the recommended gear shifts at appropriate speeds written in the owner manual (e.g. shift to 3rd gear at 54 kmh).

The engine/motorcycle also shakes quite a bit under heavy load (i.e. hard acceleration) in the lower gears (2-4) between 2k and 4k rpm I'd say.

I have never gone above 5k yet as I tend to shift quite early, but it's definitely smooth above 4k.
I shift at 5000 rpm.. 3rd gear at 60mph, which is close to 100kmh.. is it considered too hard?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I shift at 5000 rpm.. 3rd gear at 60mph, which is close to 100kmh.. is it considered too hard?
For a big V twin like the Dl1050 I would say that it's fine if you really want to accelerate, but otherwise there is not much reason to rev that high.

I drive a bit like a truck driver so don't ask me for the proper shifting points, I'll always keep it within 2500-3500 when I'm just cruising.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For a big V twin like the Dl1050 I would say that it's fine if you really want to accelerate, but otherwise there is not much reason to rev that high.

I drive a bit like a truck driver so don't ask me for the proper shifting points, I'll always keep it within 2500-3500 when I'm just cruising.
I live in California. Here people cruise at 85 or even 90 mph on freeway, at least in southern califiornia. I think i'm pushing it too hard since it's a new bike. Im too used to my MT09. but you were right, it's an adventure, not a naked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Given the dyno charts of the MT09, I'd say it's equally useless to rev it high.
That's totally fine if that's your riding style and you like it this way. You can drive the same way with the Vstrom if you like :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I live in California. Here people cruise at 85 or even 90 mph on freeway, at least in southern califiornia. I think i'm pushing it too hard since it's a new bike. Im too used to my MT09. but you were right, it's an adventure, not a naked.
If your bike is brand new, I would follow the break in procedure pretty closely.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I ran my bike for 362klm and when I stopped for fuel The tank took 17.8 litres.
The fuel gauge was flashing empty from 300 klm so there is a good reserve allowance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
No. Mines been worse. I'm at 3700 km on bike. Past break in.

So, I've been doing real mileage rather than Suzuki mileage. The 8% Suzuki mile, out is real and my real mileage has been closer to 6.5 on average. With wind.

I'm getting no where near 5l.

I've been averaging 105km/HR. Real speed.

Doing tank to tank. The mpg on bike is way off computer wise. Isn't far off busa which is 1400cc. 3 hours I get on tank, that's fumes. Yes I run side bags. Nothing but flats for hours on prairies.

On a side note. 2020 bike is in shop due to vibrations on operating range. Two mechanics have noticed it but still seeing if normal. I doubt it. Been running my 04 650 strom. So smooth. How's a 14 year old bike smoother and more efficient? Hard to believe.

·
Administrator
14,141 Posts

So, I've been doing real mileage rather than Suzuki mileage. The 8% Suzuki mile, out is real and my real mileage has been closer to 6.5 on average. With wind.

Doing tank to tank. The mpg on bike is way off computer wise. Isn't far off busa which is 1400cc. 3 hours I get on tank, that's fumes. Yes I run side bags. Nothing but flats for hours on prairies.
Unless you have changed sprockets and have a Strom that gets speed reading from the sprocket area your ODO is off about 2% even though your speedo is off about 8%. Exact amount depends on tires size, tire wear, air pressure and load on the bike.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Unless you have changed sprockets and have a Strom that gets speed reading from the sprocket area your ODO is off about 2% even though your speedo is off about 8%. Exact amount depends on tires size, tire wear, air pressure and load on the bike.
108 on dash=100 real km

I'd be down for it being accurate. 8% seems like a lot.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
It has been the norm for a long time now in cars and bikes that odometers are very accurate while speedometers are usually 5-10% optimistic. Otherwise there would be law suits hand over fist about warranty mileage fraud.

·
Registered
673 Posts
And with the advent of widespread GPS, people are now getting picky about the speedo too.

·
Registered
21 Posts

On a side note. 2020 bike is in shop due to vibrations on operating range. Two mechanics have noticed it but still seeing if normal. I doubt it. Been running my 04 650 strom. So smooth. How's a 14 year old bike smoother and more efficient? Hard to believe.
There is definitely something off with your bike, consumption wise... Side bags sure don't help in the aerodynamics department, but I really don't think it would add another 1-2 L / 100 km to your mileage.

I have no side bags, but I keep the original shield in the highest position at all times. At a constant speed of 80-100 kmh (gps speed, with cruise control in 4-5th gear) on flat straight roads, with absence of wind, I get maybe 3.7-4 L / 100 km average.

At the posted speed limit of 120 kmh (128 kmh on the speedometer, 6th gear at 4800 rpm, cruise control), I get closer to 4.8-5 L / 100 km.

Vibrations are present when I keep the bike below 3k rpm at constant speed, and below 3.7k rpm when accelerating. Otherwise it's very smooth (not as smooth as the V4 of my previous VFR800, but it's really nice still).

21 - 39 of 39 Posts