StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching but didn't find any threads, anyone compare gas mileage with squared off side bags like Trax vs rounded cases like Givi?

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Gas mileage has more to do with your right grip than anything else, and it's much worse at highway speeds with any luggage sticking out there. The further it sticks out, the worse it will be. Some of the bags out there make the bike 4 feet wide.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Gas mileage has more to do with your right grip than anything else, and it's much worse at highway speeds with any luggage sticking out there. The further it sticks out, the worse it will be. Some of the bags out there make the bike 4 feet wide.
What he said.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I had thought the somewhat rounded profile of the Givis would help, and I figured the wind would flow past my legs and right over the bags. I was wrong. On a recent drone on the interstate with the E45s on, I stuck my hand down just in front of one of the bags. The force of the wind on my hand was considerable. Guess that's why Givi gives you a maximum speed along with the weight limit.

The rounded profile might slow down some of the turbulence, but I bet it's not a huge difference.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
I agree with Tom, the faster you go, the worse yor milage will be regardless of what type of luggage

to many variables to do any real comparison, rounded bags may have a slightly better coefficient of drag, but every different size would have different frontal area

IMHO width of the luggage in more important than shape, as it adds to the frontal area

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
780 Posts
40" doesn't equal 4 feet but it does equal one huge ass.
40" is scary enough. My BMW is 34" I thought it was huge.

I can't even imagine 4 feet wide...that's just scary

Les

·
Registered
965 Posts
40" doesn't equal 4 feet but it does equal one huge ass.
40" is scary enough. My BMW is 34" I thought it was huge.

I can't even imagine 4 feet wide...that's just scary

Les
Mines 47 1/2 so pretty close to 48":D
I really like the top loading aluminum panniers but it does make the bike pretty wide. It's not scary but you need to be aware when weaving through traffic, parking lots, getting fuel etc.

I haven't did any long term tests regarding fuel mileage but I would guess that I lose a few miles per tank with the bags on.

Hope this helps.

Ken

·
Registered
239 Posts
MPG

My Wee has the OEM bags, they stick out there, but the shape is is fairly good aerodynamicly speaking:rolleyes: When I added the 23in CeeBailey windscreen I noticed a drop in my MPG, but that has returned with further break-in miles. I have not checked the MPG without the bags, I carry stuff, that is why I have the bags in the first place. Dave

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was worried about this too. However I got the the best observed mileage thus far with my square pelican luggage on. 61.5 mpg:eek:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I agree with Tom, the faster you go, the worse yor milage will be regardless of what type of luggage
I notice a real decrease in acceleration above 55 MPH with my Caribou side cases - even when empty.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The majority of the drag increase would be from the increased frontal area, though if I recall correctly, rounding the corners of a box will reduce drag coefficient by something on the order of 20% or so. If you want to avoid the drag of panniers, maybe consider a single topcase. Since it lives in the turbulent, separated air behind the rider, it doesn't add much drag at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently installed the givi top box and side cases.
This past weekend it was windy out and getting ready to rain.
I eased it up to 70 mph to see how it handled in the wind and did not even know that they were back there.
I think that the bike has to be a little faster without them, but I did not notice.:D

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not enough trunk space.

The majority of the drag increase would be from the increased frontal area, though if I recall correctly, rounding the corners of a box will reduce drag coefficient by something on the order of 20% or so. If you want to avoid the drag of panniers, maybe consider a single topcase. Since it lives in the turbulent, separated air behind the rider, it doesn't add much drag at all.
We plan on backpacking so I'm guessing that I'll need 2 large side cases and our backpacks tied across the back of the bike. I was just wondering with all the emphasis on mileage, if any strommer had done any comparison.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I don't, but thats the difference in 350cc:D
Don't make me come up there where the people talk funny and do some edjumakatin'.

Actually, when I'm loaded down on the slab, those extra cubes would be nice. But when I get hungry for down-low torque I'll hop on the chick bike in the garage, my wife's H-D Dyna.

To make this thread-relevant; my mileage does drop below 50 mpg on the interstate, also when I'm feeling frisky. Otherwise its a steady 50-54 with or without cases.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I had Shads (rounded) on my first Strom and now have Storms (squared) on my current Strom. I haven't noticed any difference in mileage, but at higher speeds the Storm luggage seem to be more stable.

I'm going by memory here;
The Shads were 44 inches wide.
The Storms are 36 inches wide.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
at higher speeds the Storm luggage seem to be more stable.
No question that riding behind a tractor trailer on the highway is much less exciting with loaded side bags. It's a remarkable difference.

As for the mileage question...I'm going to pretend I didn't see that one.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No question that riding behind a tractor trailer on the highway is much less exciting with loaded side bags. It's a remarkable difference.
That's interesting. I just put my fork brace on Sunday night and Monday's communing with the semis seemed more stable in the front end. Body took the same beating (as expected) but the forks seemed less wobbly. If cases would improve this situation, I may want to leave them for commuting. The trucks aren't on the road in the morning, but they are out and about on the ride home.

R.I.P.

(Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts