StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
IK,R? My 2002 Triumph Sprint 955i got 50+ mpg at 70+ mph with luggage and my fat ass on it. AND 118 hp! However, it was fully-faired, didn't have a catalytic converter or ABS, wanted ethyl gas, had a reputation for sketchy wiring, and made me hunch over to the point that my left arm finally lost half of its strength due to a neck problem. Actually, it was that last item that made me switch to the Strom so that I could get my body into a comfortable position. Also the Strom goes slower than the Sprint, whose power made me risk my life several times. Now I don't do that as often.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
1,190 Posts
It's amazing what you can wring out of these motorcycles for fuel economy when driven gently. Of course, you have to drive them gently.

I have connective tissue issues. And arthritis. And neck problems. etc, etc etc. As much fun as it would be to go hot dogging again on a bike with wads of horsepower, I find that the VStrom is a crazy amount of fun for 60'ish horsepower and the seating position is better than my very cushy Toyota Tacoma or my wife's Mazda 3.

When I gave up motorcycles 20 years ago, it was the Suzuki TL1000-R that did it. I was pretty sure I could not ride it responsibly, so I threw in the towel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Out on my 1050 v strom yesterday & stuck in slow 60mph traffic on the motorway ( this is normal in the uk 😀 ) when i got to the biker cafe i had 74 mpg (imperial ) on the bike ...but...even with speedo error & everything else taken into consideration its good for a big engine 👍
Temperature Vehicle Measuring instrument Automotive tire Font
Temperature Vehicle Measuring instrument Automotive tire Font

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I've been averaging about 64 MPG for the last 13 years/100K miles. Lots of secondary roads, 6th gear cruising 50 MPH-ish, not much traffic, traffic lights, or stop & go.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was averaging around 44mpg on my 2018 1000XT. Mounted a Shark slip on exhaust and now getting right at 50mpg. Was quite pleasantly surprised. I ride quite a bit of mtn roads, so not sure I'll ever average 60mpg on a ride of any distance

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I could get that kind of MPG on a Grom let alone anything bigger. I've never been too concerned with MPG for me it fuel range and my fix is displacement! 50L capacity gets me the range I want of course its painful when I fill up and it costs $65 to fill up a motorcycle.

·
Administrator
14,823 Posts
You should not let the Bike just Idle in the garage you need to get out and ride(y);)
Mileage would be extremely bad it you did that.

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,756 Posts
My 2012 DL 650 has large flat side cases, engine guards, highway pegs, larger screen and deflectors. Running to and from the rally I averaged about 41 mpg. That is with a lot of 75+ mph cruising. Not too good. Don't care about the mileage, just hate stopping every 150 miles or so for gas. Kills your time.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
From a Lite Sport airplane ad "Speed without range is like no speed at all". I have to really try to get into the 50s with the 650 Vstrom. Recently acquired a 2021 V85TT, claimed 56 mpg on a 400 mile knockabout in the NC mts last weekend.
Cloud Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts