StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what would you say average milage on a given vee should be? are the looked at like cars with 12-15k being normal yearly mileage?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
For a vast majority of the riding population 2,000 miles a year is a lot. Start riding 5,000 to 10,000 and you are in the fractional percentage. Get into the 15,000+ mile per year and the percentage is probably not enough decimal places to be able to calculate.

Most of the unknowing public think motorcycles are worn out when they have 10,000 miles on them. I think this has a lot do with sport bike scene where most bikes are wrecked long before they have 1,000 miles on them so seeing one with 10x that has got to be worn out. The knowing public knows obviously that this is not the case and most modern motorcycle with relative reasonable care can go well beyond 100,000 miles.

Another factor as above with riding a 1000 or so miles a year after 3 or 4 years people get tired of what they have and want the latest and greatest so low mileage bikes get sold off to make room for what will be in the next 3 years another low mileage bike.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
As an example, my 2004 had about 40K on it when I bought it last year - which is around 2600 miles a year. Seemed like a reasonable amount of miles to me. I put on 8-12K a year, but it gets spread between multiple bikes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a vast majority of the riding population 2,000 miles a year is a lot. Start riding 5,000 to 10,000 and you are in the fractional percentage. Get into the 15,000+ mile per year and the percentage is probably not enough decimal places to be able to calculate.

Most of the unknowing public think motorcycles are worn out when they have 10,000 miles on them. I think this has a lot do with sport bike scene where most bikes are wrecked long before they have 1,000 miles on them so seeing one with 10x that has got to be worn out. The knowing public knows obviously that this is not the case and most modern motorcycle with relative reasonable care can go well beyond 100,000 miles.

Another factor as above with riding a 1000 or so miles a year after 3 or 4 years people get tired of what they have and want the latest and greatest so low mileage bikes get sold off to make room for what will be in the next 3 years another low mileage bike.
thankyou.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
My sport bike has 66K on it ;)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I had 80k + on my SV when I sold it last year. Have 50k + on my DL.

It hurts the resale value a lot but I don't care. 😁

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Depends on how it was looked after (service interval, how and where it was ridden and how long the bike stands unridden)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought a 2013 with 10,000 miles. In just 6 weeks of newbie riding along with my mentor riding friends I've added 4500...

The 1,250 per year average is getting recalculated now! With another planned weekend ride I'm sure to be over 5000 myself! I hear these run and run and run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts