StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Guy locally that crashed his 2012. From the pics it seems mostly cosmetic. I know for sure that it will need a new tank, and pretty much all plastic and signals on the right hand side. I plan on having a shop look at it, but for my initial look today what are some non obvious things I should look for that could be damaged?

Sent from my phone...there will be spelling errors!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Bent forks are often a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
What kind of Title..........clear, salvage, ????
Not sure about the Carolina's, but Alabama is a biotch to get a Salvage Title changed over to "Rebuilt" (to get a tag for the roads)........check with your DMV first (if the title is not "clear").....each state is different.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get all the details tonight.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Salvage title and cracks in the frame, motor etc is what I'd look for.

How well does it run? Check for major $$$ problems.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
If the wreckee did not have insurance and is selling the wreck himself, there may be no title problem. He can transfer good title to you, you fix the bike, and the title stays clean. If his insurance company declared the bike a total loss, then it will get the salvage title. Different states have different requirements for getting the bike back on the road. In some states a clean title can be issued after inspection--other states have a salvage-rebuilt title. After more L2's get wrecked, there might be a clean frame with title available for sale, and you can transfer all the parts to that frame to end up with a bike with clean title.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike was a total write off. Oh well if it sounds too good to be true..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Are you saying it was totaled? Most vehicles that are not fixed by the insurance company are totaled and sold as salvage title. At times the owner will have the option of buying the wreck at an agreed price thus saving the ins. co. money to auction. Also the shop that does the estimate can sometimes be a player too or some in.s cos. sell to a middleman such that deals in wrecks and/or parts.
Totaled doesn't always mean it isn't repairable, just that for whatever reason they are not going to do the restore. Past that point it gets down to the nitty gritty details & best left to those that know the business. I'm interested in the bike & further details about actual damage & if it will be auctioned or how it is being disposed of. PM me if you know more,thanks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forks were bent, all plastic destroyed, multiple cracks in engine, seat ruined.. I deleted his email but if I can find it I'll pm the pics to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks but I've heard enough to lose interest. Engine cracks indicate either impact on engine or frame twisting. Bent forks a bit easier to take but not good either. I test rode one this week & then got back on my BMW R1150R to ride home. Was much lighter feel to bikes handling as in a bit more tossable. Nice shifting! w/o the BMW clunkiness. Bit less power but enough to get some jollies up & seemed. Lacked some ride comfort as with my bike as in long day touring, sort of like comparing a big sports car to a smaller one on highway manners & stability.I thought the wheels had a cheap look to them based on the finish not the castings, just my opinion. Bike had poor shop prep as controls & mirrors loose. Overall a great bike. I was quoted $7,800 plus tax, no destination fee mentioned. We'll see, I might wait for a used 2012 Wee...:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Forks were bent, all plastic destroyed, multiple cracks in engine, seat ruined
What are you sure was still good on it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts