StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't be the only rider with an electric jacket, but I'm at a loss as to where or how to install a powerlet BMW-style outlet near the middle of the bike. Currently, I've been threading a power cable out from under the seat, but I'm getting tired of that arrangement.

Have any of you install a panel mount outlet? Where? Or mount the outlet on a bracket? Any suggestions for locations that have worked well for y'all would be great!

My grateful thanks in advance!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Woofy, I just got done installing a "midships" power socket on my 650. Some disagree with me, but I've enjoyed it. Here's the thread:

http://stromtrooper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577

Or, you can see it- I work at Amazon on Beacon Hill, and will be in Cap Hill with some other moto geeks for dinner, you're welcome to join us :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made a bracket and installed my heat controller using the 2 bolts at
top front of gas tank.
I also have a 2 X 5 in. aluminum bracket installed on top of handlebar clamps and covered with velcro. Very useful for garage door
opener, also for route sheet holder. Plenty of clearance for both
even with bars at full lock.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a bracket and installed my heat controller using the 2 bolts at
top front of gas tank.
I also have a 2 X 5 in. aluminum bracket installed on top of handlebar clamps and covered with velcro. Very useful for garage door
opener, also for route sheet holder. Plenty of clearance for both
even with bars at full lock.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woofy said:
I can't be the only rider with an electric jacket, but I'm at a loss as to where or how to install a powerlet BMW-style outlet near the middle of the bike. Currently, I've been threading a power cable out from under the seat, but I'm getting tired of that arrangement.

Have any of you install a panel mount outlet? Where? Or mount the outlet on a bracket? Any suggestions for locations that have worked well for y'all would be great!

My grateful thanks in advance!
I mounted a BMW style socket in the black plastic vent thingy in the lower part of the tank shroud/fairing piece/whatever the part is that has the big V-Strom letters stuck to it. Just fits, out of the way, not noticable.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put my John deere socket, power for GPS and cig lighter all on the black plastic rim in front of the gas tank. They look a lot cheaper to replace than the Faux gas tank panels.

Bobb

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I ported a 12v power outlet ( Cigarette Lighter) From Radio Shack for $6.50 right at the front of the triple trees upper @ the drilled screw that holds the metal loom encircling the throttle cables. I used a home made thin metal strip to attach to both the power outlet and the other end to the screw hold on the triple tree clamp... I only had to extend the wiring
(2 wires) attached at the battery about 12 inches. works great for my Magellan GPS.

Hope that helps and makes it easy

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Tedder!

What's the chances of getting my paws on one or two of those groovy handlebar mount powerlet outlets? Thanks a MEGA-ton in advance!

Also, I see you had Rich do your saddle. Good choice! I won't have a bike that doesn't have one of his saddles on it, anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts