StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'll be picking up my '14 DL1000 soon. I run mid-grade ethanol free gas in my Victory, and regular ethanol free in my Suzuki S50. The specs for the Strom call for premium. Has anyone run mid-grade on their bikes? What can I expect for gas mileage? Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use mostly premium, but I've occasionally run mid-grade and even regular in the past, and could not notice any difference in performance or mileage. I don't know if it would make a difference if I were to run mid-grade ALL the time though; especially because here in Canada only some premium fuels are ethanol-free...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wouldn't stress too much about it. I run premium and unfortunately it has Ethanol in it, however I ride year round so it doesn't have time to sit and "sweat". I run Ethanol free in most of the other bikes & small engines that will sit. If you are worried about the octane, you can get an octane booster for your Ethanol free fuel and have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
529 Posts
This has been brought up in other threads before. In many countries and areas where the Vstrom travels, there is no premium. Suzuki wouldn't make an adv bike that couldn't travel in these parts.
My V2 has had at least 30 tanks of regular run through it, will no issues. All higher octane does, is prevent knocking. As long as you are not experiencing any knocking, it's perfectly safe.
My buddy that owns a 12 S10 has only run regular through his bike for 145,000 miles. Bike also calls for premium fuel. Bike still runs perfect. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
i have experimented with different grades and haven't noticed any difference. I have settled on running mid-grade (89) consistently now.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I didn't know you could buy ethanol free gas. Is it available in the USA?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Higher elevations effectively reduce compression pressure. The intake air is at a lower pressure to begin with so the combustion chamber pressure is lower too. You can run lower octane above 5000 feet. Fuel stations in such higher areas typically have 85 octane regular and 88 octane mid grade.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hank122 - Google ethanol free gas stations. There are lists for every state. You can also add or delete stations if you locate a new one, or if a listed station is closed.

Reactions: Hank122

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm not sure why this is even an issue unless of course premium is not available. Here in Ca. the difference between mid-grade and premium is $.10. If you ride 10,000 miles per year and average 40 mpg you would use 250 gallons per year saving $25...meh!!

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
I'm not sure why this is even an issue unless of course premium is not available. Here in Ca. the difference between mid-grade and premium is $.10. If you ride 10,000 miles per year and average 40 mpg you would use 250 gallons per year saving $25...meh!!
Here in Ontario, Canada it's about .15 a litre more for premium. That's $.60 Canadian more for a US Gallon or about $.43 US$ more per us gallon.

I also have used Premium in my bike up until now and ride more than 25,000 miles per year.

..Tom

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here in Ontario, Canada it's about .15 a litre more for premium. That's $.60 Canadian more for a US Gallon or about $.43 US$ more per us gallon.

I also have used Premium in my bike up until now and ride more than 25,000 miles per year.

..Tom
So if the jump from mid-grade to premium is $.15 per litre, which is about 4 times the price difference here, a person riding 10,000 miles per year would spend $106 more on fuel, 5,000 mi. would be $53 and 20,000 mi., like you ride, would be $212. I guess my point is, see if it's "worth" it to you to use mid-grade. Personally, I don't think it matters which grade is used, but I do always use top tier gasoline.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here is something to think about. Does the dispenser you use have one hose that dispenses all the grades of gasoline? If it does and the person before you used a lower octane fuel, you may not ever get your Premium.
This is a concern for people that purchase small amounts of fuel. I often fill my tank even though I have only put 100 -150 miles on the bike. A fuel inspector took samples of Premium after a Regular Unleaded sale and it took nearly 2 gallons of quart sized samples to finally test as Premium.
It would seem that it should be less than 2 gallons, but remember that all the fuel from the fuel nozzle, fuel hose, internal dispenser piping and the metering unit is all the fuel that was actually dispensed by the sale before yours.
So if you really want that Premium your paying for, pull in behind a high performance vehicle or look for a station with those old dispensers that have nozzles for each grade. One problem with that is that most of the better fuel brands have newer equipment and have gotten rid of those old dispensers that had a separate nozzle for each grade.
I use Regular Unleaded in my 2008 DL1000. When I fill up my CRF450x it is usually on a trailer and I put a few gallons into my pickup to make sure it really is Premium before putting it in the high performance bikes.

Reactions: Nail34

·
Registered
502 Posts
Rob, honestly, I never thought of that!! Maybe I'll just put the first 2 gallons in with the window washer water or put it in the car on the other side of the gas pump and give him a 5% discount, OCD is a terrible disease!! I'm also a Type A so there's no way I have the patience to wait for a premium using car. Now just what am I going to do, he said wringing his hands...hmmm.
See what you started!!

·
Vendor
5,426 Posts
Yep, did a little reading. 89 octane will do at higher elevations as well.

I had to go back in my mind to where I got this idea that higher elevations required higher octane. It was "going to mountains" while camping. However that was pulling a camper on steep hills with an older truck. It was the combination of the load and the vehicle originally being designed for higher octane that drove my misconception.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Hardly anyone runs 89, if any gas is to be old or possibly have moisture in it.......89 would be it. 87 or premimum for me, heck just run 87 and add some octane boost if it concerns you.

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
Hardly anyone runs 89, if any gas is to be old or possibly have moisture in it.......89 would be it. 87 or premimum for me, heck just run 87 and add some octane boost if it concerns you.
I think (but could be wrong!) that the 89 you get in most pumps would be a blend of 87 and 91 (or 93.)

..Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts