StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email about this a couple of days ago. Glad to see something like this on the eastern side fo the country.

Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route (MABDR)

Said to open in early 2018. Not sure what that means since it is a collection of existing roads. Maybe has to do with permissions. Anyway, I'll be checking into it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Oh yeah!:lurk5:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Looks interesting! I always wanted to do the Oregon Back Country Discovery route when I lived out west. (It was the first one I ever heard of, but could never get vacation lined up with $ and friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
If it uses the TPAT-V, its right in my back yard.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You know, people have talked about "rolling gatherings" that stayed in different places each night. I'll bet we could get divide this up into a segments and have a rolling gathering with some doing the dirt and some doing pavement. That would be a gathering for the history books.
Great Idea! I'd likely be in for this.

·
Vendor
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, sounds good to me.

I'm posting a note above my computer (a really big note) to remind me to check out the possibility of a rolling gathering for the MABCDR. If it looks do-able I'll try to figure out the duration of the ride, skill level required (probably an easy off pavement ride), likely stops, best timing, etc.

I'm emailing BCDR routes now.

Rick

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I'm genuinely excited by this. I went to their website, but as far as I can tell, the map for the route isn't available yet. I'm dying to get a hold of it, so I can start getting a .gpx file ready.....

·
Registered
402 Posts
I got an email about this a couple of days ago. Glad to see something like this on the eastern side fo the country.

Said to open in early 2018. Not sure what that means since it is a collection of existing roads. Maybe has to do with permissions. Anyway, I'll be checking into it.
Yea, BDRs are all public access. So, to clarify, they say to be RELEASED in early 2018.. Meaning their chosen routes, mapping files, distance between fuel, sections by difficulty, identified fuel stops, camping/ lodging, etc., along the route. You can download their GPS tracks and I would also purchase the specific Beutler BDR map ... Tons of necessary info. Some sections can be very challenging. They're not shy about including deep water crossings and rocky hill climbs, etc. Lots of planning necessary if you tackle the entire route, and they've done much of it for you!

I was contemplating doing the Idaho BDR on my former V2 and decided against it. The lack of ground clearance scared me off even with the Enduro Guardian skid plate. That's one of the reasons I got the DR650.

Enjoy the adventure!

·
Vendor
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is teh reply I got from the BDR discovery folks.

Hi Rick,

The MABDR free GPS tracks, Butler Map and Documentary Film will be released beginning of February 2018. We will also be organizing MABDR movie premiers across the country in dealerships and movie theaters.

I'm just not impressed with my local Suzuki dealership in Gastonia so if you have a moto club or a dealership that might want to host the movie event locally, let me know. The charlotte NC Suzuki dealership is pretty big and they might be interested. I guess I will check with them.

I suggested a webinar, but if anyone knows of a good dealership to host such an event go for it. I will also send a PM suggesting it as a good item for the eastern gathering this year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Butler Map

I ordered the map for this route. Plan on starting from Crawfords Campground in Murphy, NC. Still have to decide where to ride when I get to NY. Lots of choices.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
Hearing about this stuff I checked and one site suggested guys were trying to layout a route in Calif.
If backcountry paved roads are allowed it might involve criss crossing the sierras. If not it might be a lot of desert. It would be long too!
In any case each state should be interesting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts