StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent trip with my daughter and son-in-law, a group of ravens vandalized our bikes, tearing our seats and pulling stuff off our bikes. My son-in-law and I both have V-stroms and both of our bikes ended up with the rubber cap over the Adjust button (on the dash) missing. I ordered new caps and then found out that there's a micro-switch that goes underneath it and apparently cannot be ordered separately and is only available from Suzuki as part of the dashboard.

Does anyone here know a part number or where I might find this switch?

If someone could take the rubber cap off theirs and take a photo of what the switch looks like, I'd be grateful. Maybe it's a common switch used for other purposes and I can source it somewhere. Kind of sucks not having it as I can't reset my time or trip odometers.

Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Does it just require the button be pushed or is a conductive disc missing ?

I keep all my old remote controls and they can be a good source of those discs.

You can also buy conductive paint, you would need to make your own probe to get the depth.

On car remotes I use neoprene rubber, it can be pushed in the hole and it stays there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got the rubber switch from Suzuki -- it's just a rubber cap that covers the switch (which apparently is built into the dashboard and cannot be ordered separately).

Does it just require the button be pushed or is a conductive disc missing ?

I keep all my old remote controls and they can be a good source of those discs.

You can also buy conductive paint, you would need to make your own probe to get the depth.

On car remotes I use neoprene rubber, it can be pushed in the hole and it stays there.
I've tried using a small screwdriver to push the "switch" inside the hole but it does nothing. You may be correct about a conductive disc but I've absolutely no knowledge of such things. Is there some way in which I can test to see if this is the issue?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a hassle! You didn't offer them some bread and a new shiny thing, so they took their revenge. Smart buggers they are.
This may be the most random vehicle vandalism/damage I’ve ever heard of. To @StuckOnEarth , sorry that this happened, but I will admit that I did laugh a little. 😄🙃
lol. There's a whole long kind of comical story about this incident. It happened in Prince Rupert, BC on a trip we did last summer. Oddly enough, we ran into someone who told us that this is not the first time that ravens have done this to bikes in Prince Rupert - ravens are a big problem there - they're even pulling shingles off of peoples roofs to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars in damage. Ravens/crows - they're like the bikers of the bird world - it's not wise to underestimate them.

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
752 Posts
lol. There's a whole long kind of comical story about this incident. It happened in Prince Rupert, BC on a trip we did last summer. Oddly enough, we ran into someone who told us that this is not the first time that ravens have done this to bikes in Prince Rupert - ravens are a big problem there - they're even pulling shingles off of peoples roofs to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars in damage. Ravens/crows - they're like the bikers of the bird world - it's not wise to underestimate them.
Wow, that’s kind of unsettling. Someone should learn their language and tell them to just sit around and play cards with their bird cousins, the rooks. :LOL:

·
Registered
2013 650
84 Posts
Wish I had an answer for you brother. I have looked around and if that #3 button (👆) is just a cover then you might be screwed. Perhaps the parts guy at a dealer could better tell you.

maybe a fancy computer tech guy like they have in the movies could rig something for you?
eBay has a used speedometer unit for $250 right now. You could take what you need and re-list it. I dunno, just spitballing here.

If you do figure out a solution please update this post to help future victims.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts