StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vstrom 1050 XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned my instrument screen with a brand new micro fiber cloth and it left micro scratches all over the screen. they are only visible with the sun shining directly on the screen.
I am going to fit a SPEEDO ANGELS screen protector and I want to remove the scratches before fitting it.
Not wanting to make the problem worse, has anyone else tried to remove the scratches from their screens?
Any information appreciated.

Speedo Angels - Motorcycle Dashboard/Instrument Screen Protectors

·
Registered
269 Posts
I also fitted the Speedo Angels protector and found that the micro scratches on the screen are no longer visible.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
684 Posts
Optical plastic surfaces are pretty delicate. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis as an optometrist. The microfiber cloth is very forgiving and didn't scratch your instrument panel. But the dust on the panel is a perfect abrasive to produce those micro scratches. Doing a gentle wipe down with a microfiber cloth and any water based cleaner removes the scratchy dust. Then you can switch to a clean dry microfiber cloth for the last bit of cleaning. Never push hard.

The protector should minimize or eliminate the visible scratches.

Novus makes a nice kit that is great on helmet visors and any transparent or shiny plastic.

If you enjoy going the extra mile (yes, I have OCD) then use the fine scratch remover and then the polish clean and shine prior to installing the protector sheet.

I've had the kit for more than a decade and still haven't run out. Plenty of bang for the buck.

·
Administrator
14,155 Posts
Thank's Skinner, that's good to know.
I had the same results as Skinner. BTW I really like the Speedo Angel stuff. Only downside I have had it is riding much below freezing don't wipe or otherwise touch the screen protector. It can loose it's grip on the screen.

..Tom

·
Registered
826 Posts
Optical plastic surfaces are pretty delicate. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis as an optometrist. The microfiber cloth is very forgiving and didn't scratch your instrument panel. But the dust on the panel is a perfect abrasive to produce those micro scratches. Doing a gentle wipe down with a microfiber cloth and any water based cleaner removes the scratchy dust. Then you can switch to a clean dry microfiber cloth for the last bit of cleaning. Never push hard.

The protector should minimize or eliminate the visible scratches.

Novus makes a nice kit that is great on helmet visors and any transparent or shiny plastic.

If you enjoy going the extra mile (yes, I have OCD) then use the fine scratch remover and then the polish clean and shine prior to installing the protector sheet.

I've had the kit for more than a decade and still haven't run out. Plenty of bang for the buck.
Solar I used a similar plastic polish product on my glasses, and one of the lens protective coating started pilling off...big mistake to use anything like that on glasses.
Also can this Novus product be used on helmet visor and pinlock lenses on both sides ?

here a quick unrelated question, sorry OP:
Speaking of glasses and you being an expert in the field, what brand and type of lenses would you recommend for a pair of bifocals, and which coatings are worth the money?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I fitted the Speedo Angel protector as soon as I picked up the bike from the dealer knowing that there was a problem with scratches on this screen. Unfortunately the scratches stay with the bike for it's life, the glass lenses on previous models were much more forgiving.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Solar I used a similar plastic polish product on my glasses, and one of the lens protective coating started pilling off...big mistake to use anything like that on glasses.
Also can this Novus product be used on helmet visor and pinlock lenses on both sides ?

here a quick unrelated question, sorry OP:
Speaking of glasses and you being an expert in the field, what brand and type of lenses would you recommend for a pair of bifocals, and which coatings are worth the money?
Yes, Novus can be used on visors and windshields for sure. I have never examined a pinlock visor up close. If the tinted models put the tint in the material itself, then Novus is fine. If it has a coating of any kind, then you should approach with caution using any polish or scratch remover product. Try a bit on a tiny taped off spot and check the effects. Scratch remover can damage any coating.

On glasses, anti-glare helps a lot under dusk/dawn/night riding. The modern anti-glare coatings are reasonably durable, but they are only a few molecules thick. Don't buy anything without a scratch resistant coating. Note the word "resistant".....nothing makes a lens scratch proof. Same rules apply for cleaning glasses--never clean them dry. Never ever clean them dry on your shirt (or anything else.) Get some dish soap on the lens (no rubbing, just get it on the lens. Rubbing is the enemy since it pushes the abrasive dust around) Rinse with hot tap water. If they were really filthy, do it a second time and then gently dry with a microfiber cloth. Since the lens is warm and clean, it should literally take 2 or 3 gentle swipes and you're done.

Cheapo progressives (no-line bifocal) don't work very well. Varilux is nice, but any of the better name-brand versions work well. Lined bifocals don't have a brand and they all work the same if they are made in your prescription (so we're not talking about cheapo 10 dollar bifocals or readers here.)

The anti-blue tint can make a difference in eye strain if you use a computer more than a couple hours a day.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yes, Novus can be used on visors and windshields for sure. I have never examined a pinlock visor up close.

Get some dish soap on the lens (no rubbing, just get it on the lens.

The anti-blue tint can make a difference in eye strain if you use a computer more than a couple hours a day.
Thank you for your input Solar, yes I only use the lens spray cleaning kit and always try to first run some hot water first, I find the microfiber doesn't do a good job on my glasses, I use the lens cleaning cloths instead. No cheep Wallmart glasses for my prescription available, usually my pair (2 frames) of progressives is around $4-500 or so including scratch and anti glare coatings.

As far as using dish soap, I read some have hand moisturizer aloe Vera dissolved in the soap, so I try not to use it.

I would also like to add, Do Not use paper towels, kleenex or toilet papers they will scratch the lenses... and if you have expensive photo lenses, do a research before you touch them, they need different approach and tools in cleaning.

Back to the topic, sorry about side tracking.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thank you for your input Solar, yes I only use the lens spray cleaning kit and always try to first run some hot water first, I find the microfiber don't do a good job on my glasses, I use the lens cleaning cloths instead. No cheep Wallmart glasses for my prescription available, usually my pair (2 frames) of progressives is around $4-500 or so including scratch and anti glare coatings.

As far as using dish soap, I read some have hand moisturizer aloe Vera dissolved in the soap, so I try not to use it.

I would also like to add, Do Not use paper towels, kleenex or toilet papers they will scratch the lenses... and if you have expensive photo lenses, do a research before you touch them, they need different approach and tools in cleaning.

Back to the topic, sorry about side tracking.
Oh yeah, no paper of any kind, ever.
Plain dish soap, nothing with magic skin ingredients, etc etc etc.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
What? your supposed to clean besides riding in the rain. Who knew?
Guess I wont sign up for Concourse judging at the Eastern VStrom rally

·
Registered
2020 Vstrom 1050 XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update to my screen scratches.
Thanks to all who replied to my post.
My SPEEDO ANGELS screen protector arrived and prior to fitting it I tried to remove the scratches with Meguiar's Plastx which was the only product I found locally which claimed to remove fine scratches in plastic.
After using the Plastx I couldn't notice any difference so I went ahead and put the screen protector on.
I have the same results as Skinner and V-Tom and I am very happy as I can't see any of the scratches any more.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yes.
Novus #1 is safe to use on the Pinlock shields. I had the photo darkening lens, which has the photo coating sandwiched between the inner and outer lenses. I never used Novus #2 or #3 on the lens. I now have the Panovision photo darkening shield on my helmet and also get good results using Novus #1 on both sides. I start with a dampened microfiber cloth to remove bugs & dust, and carry one with me for a quick de-bugging of the lens while on a ride.
I'v used Novus #2 & #3 on the stock windscreen with limited results; those do ok on really minor scratches.
I always apply the product(s) to the microfiber cloth, not the surface itself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts