StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I like how sloppy that news station is: Michigan Repeals Helmet Ban. Who's the lame editor? :confused:

They now have a choice, good for them on a basic level. As long as that freedom of choice doesn't have any negative impact on me, I could care less what anyone else does.

·
Registered
48 Posts
was really nice when I went to the grand canyon and other nearby national parks to not have to wear a helmet between tourism stops. often I wasn't travelling faster than I would have been on my mountain bike. I did get a nice sunburn though. any main roads though I put the helmet on. choice was nice.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
There wasn't a single DOT helmet in that video, so they haven't been wearing helmets anyway. /sheesh

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
(Unkind, but all too true)

Pete
..........that's also what non-riders say about riders.

I wonder how you'd feel if someone you cared for died helmetless on a bike.
Would they still be a moron, whose departure would be a net gain for humanity?
Would their family be consoled knowing that they sacrificed themselves for the betterment of mankind?
Are the thousands of otherwise succesful people who have children and businesses who's only fault is succumbing to "lifestyle" motorcycling a drag upon civilzation, whose death is in the least inconsequential?

Or is it the people who can only see a complex issue involving personal freedoms in the most simplistic of terms the ones worthy of our collective disregard?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Good for them!
Is there anyone here that dumb they would ride without a helmet?
Yes, I've done it plenty of times.

My father has openly stated that he'll never wear a helmet again now that he is retired and doesn't have to travel to Mass anymore.
often I wasn't travelling faster than I would have been on my mountain bike.
Are you implying your ride a bicycle WITHOUT a helmet. That's dangerous, don'tcha know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nanny, please save me

..........that's also what non-riders say about riders.

I wonder how you'd feel if someone you cared for died helmetless on a bike.
Would they still be a moron, whose departure would be a net gain for humanity?
Would their family be consoled knowing that they sacrificed themselves for the betterment of mankind?
Are the thousands of otherwise succesful people who have children and businesses who's only fault is succumbing to "lifestyle" motorcycling a drag upon civilzation, whose death is in the least inconsequential?

Or is it the people who can only see a complex issue involving personal freedoms in the most simplistic of terms the ones worthy of our collective disregard?
If you choose to ride without a helmet then that is your choice. If you are forced to ride with a helmet then that is a Nanny State.

Laws which protect people from other's actions are good laws. Laws which protect people from themselves are bad laws.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I always wear a helmet and still would if I were riding in a no helmet law state. If someone else chooses not to, then thats their right to do so. However, I thilnk any state that repeals their motorcycle helmet laws should automatically repeal and SEATBELT laws as well. Only fair to cars drivers that want to go without a seatbelt.

·
Registered
780 Posts
As a Michigan resident I will continue to always wear my helmet as will my passenger.
Also it will provide a projectile to launch at the Norton when it doesn't want to start as was the case yesterday upon leaving my sister's house...........:furious:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Motorcycle Helmet Use and Head and Facial Injuries

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811208.pdf

Helmets are no guarantee that you won't become a vegetable, but I'll take the improved odds against it happening and wear the lid.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
If you choose to ride without a helmet then that is your choice. If you are forced to ride with a helmet then that is a Nanny State.

Laws which protect people from other's actions are good laws. Laws which protect people from themselves are bad laws.
I know this is your first post, I'll be gentle:

It appears, dear Sir, that my point was lost on you.

Please take a look at post #2, particularly the title.

My post is a response to that.

If you are responding to my post, please reconsider your response.

If not, please disregard this.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Agreed. 123
How ironic it would be to have one's life saved from initial impact by a front airbag only to be thrown from the vehicle in a subsequent rollover.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Living in a Nanny Nation I applaud Michigan for making a change based on state residents wishes. It would never happen here in Canada - the provincial and federal governments know whats best for us so 'shut up and carry on'!

I see in the article the insurance companies have already chimed in with their fear mongering about rising auto insurance rates for all drivers, not just motorcycles. Unfortunately they have the power to arbitrarily just do the increases now that they have 'named' a reason.

Good luck to you folks in Michigan and safe riding. Now its up to the population who ride to exercise their 'adult choice' wisely.

·
Registered
524 Posts
As a Michigan resident, you will NEVER see me without my helmet.
I ride a motorcycle. I accept the associated risks. I also accept responsibility to protect myself as best I can...ATGATT and good insurance.

Those that chose to not protect themselves, well that's ok. It's their choice. Just do not make me pay for their irresponsible actions!

·
Registered
515 Posts
..., haven't we been here before? Sure glad we, for now, still live in a country (or state) where we have the freedom to "think out loud"...:beatnik:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Helmet Laws

Here in Australia, the wearing of helmets became compulsory some 25/30 years ago, against a campaign of 'Let those who ride decide.'
When I was young in the early '70s my girlfriend at that time had her brother killed when he dropped his bike in the street in which they lived. A simple spill but his head struck the concrete gutter. Such a simple accident and so much pain and anguish it caused. A tragedy so close will make you realize it could have been so easily avoided.
Western society as probably all societies, work so well when operating as a community. Working together. Sometimes some personal freedoms must be forgone in order that the community works successfully. In this country we have an excellent Medicare health system but the cost is huge but shared "equally" by the tax system. With the advent of compulsory wearing of helmets significant savings were made both in immediate and more importantly, ongoing care which is huge in both dollar and personnel terms. If helmet victims paid wholly for all of their care, well I suppose, let them ride the way they want but if the community thru either taxes or insurance premiums foot the bill well....wear your helmet.
I started riding long before the helmet laws were introduced and I did enjoy the feeling of air thru your hair (when I had a full head of hair) but only while in town as on the highway the helmet actually in a short time felt more comfortable.
If for no other reason remember, getting hurt.....HURTS!

Ride safe, somebody who loves you, wants you home tonight.

Saturn 5

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
I've got the helmet from the latest get off, last summer, hanging on the wall. There is a 4" crack in the back of the Scorpion 1000 helmet. The prior helmet was a Shoei 200, also sustained a crack in the shell.
Both of these crashes happened at about 55 mph. 1. on an on ramp to the freeway, got in the diesel and high sided. 2. back road highway, forced off the road by a cager and augured in the bar ditch.
Can happen to anyone. Y'all practice your freedom and wind in the hair, I'm still alive and riding because of an approved quality brain bucket.
Not to impugn your intelligence but if you ride without a helmet and you go dead, your family won't get any sympathy from me.
Yo' mama raised a dummy!

R

·
0 Posts
Why was this law changed?
Is this the result of intense and expensive lobbying?
As a general rule these regulations once on the books are as hard to move as the Andes.
What went on in the back rooms to make this happen?
Normally you only hear what the politicians want you to hear.
This has a smell of herring about it. I think they may use this apparent freedom to allow the insurance companies or health companies have certain freedoms with your bank accounts.
Nothing comes for free.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts