StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some Bridgestone T30's which were in need of replacement .

Needing to travel up from Wellington NZ to New Plymouth for my sons National Ultimate Frisbee tournament I thought I'd have some fun and take the long way round .

I traveled over to Napier , thru the Gentle Annie ( huh not so gentle as in steep ) past Taihape onto Awakino & arrived at New Pymouth .

I've set my 2013 DL650 up as a road bike primarily with suspension upgraded and McCruise cruise control with a Speedohealer added so I know exactly where I'm at with my speed .

I'd heard good things about Michelin tires so I was pretty keen to try them .

Taking it easy for the first hundred kms to get them scrubbed in and me getting to know their feel for grip I have to report they perform very well .

The only point of concern was the air pressure the dealers had put in them initially - 44 psi front / 38 rear way too much .

After I reduced the pressure down to 38 and 31 they seemed more manageable .

These tires seem to really bite into the road and when I'm giving the bike some herbs for overtaking they responded fantastically .

The bikes going well too . I recall overtaking a truck & trailer on a straight & feeling like the bike wants to go up a gear , glanced at the speedo it reads 140 kms & I'm in 6th ( the speed limit in NZ is generally 100 kms ( 62 mph ) .

The little 650 can roar when it wants and I feel these tires offer pretty good grip .

On my return journey I traveled over to Opunake thru a beautiful canopy of native trees at Pukeiti onto Wanganui over the Paihatua track and back over the Remutaka Hill to Wellington a distance just short of 1200 kms ( 750 miles ) in 2 days .

I did meet with some rain on my journey as I traveled past Mt Ruapehu by National Park .

The tires were fine but this was before I reduced the air pressure so I reckon they'd be even better in the wet now .

Over the Remutaka Hill Road I caught up to someone riding a trike towing a wee trailer .

Their centre of gravity was real low and they were making good progress so I thought I'd tag along behind .

I've never traveled over that road so fast and the tires were confidence inspiring .

So to recap I really like Road Trail 5's

Reactions: HokiesRWee

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few photos

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
I swapped my Road 4s for Road 5s a little over a month ago. The squirming sensation of the 4s is gone with the 5s and the tires, finally, feel truly planted on the road surface. Twenty-odd miles on them and I was aggressively banking through corners with little issue. I have tested them in the wet, too, including a quick stop during a drizzle when car sliced across two lanes to make a left. Tires gripped fine, no sense of sliding or lack of traction.

Michelin should keep this one as-is. Lovely tires!

·
Registered
253 Posts
To the original poster: how would you compare the new Michelins to the T30s?
Am considering the T31s or A41s, and the 31s are supposed to be similar to the 30s. Good to get feedback from actual users.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
308 Posts
Road Pilot 4 Trails work for me

I have a set of Road Pilot Trail 4s on my 2003 DL1000. I love them, very planted feeling on all types of surfaces. I am running the standard air pressure recommended by Suzuki. I have about 2400 miles on these tires with little or no sign of wear.

:smile2:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi mpom .

Compared to the T30's I'd have to say they stick to the asphalt way better .

It's a feeling like their trying to mold to the road surface and when I accelerate they instantly bite and grip .

Real good for get up & go when passing .

And I feel way more confident when cornering ( & I'm no pro and haven't done racing ) .

Was pushing it in turns feeling good that I even considered backing off for fear of grinding the panniers , huh

And another aspect I forgot to mention was the rear tire seemed to grip so well that the ABS didn't trigger as often .

On the T30's the rear abs would often activate but this was hardly the case with the new tires so I had to try on gravel just to confirm it was still functioning .

I had no trouble riding gravel too

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks, sound like the 5s are a significant improvement over the 30s. Only thing in the way is the price premium, almost double ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes they are more expensive than some .

I don't put a price on safety when I'm travelling out in the boon-sticks .

And the forecast for when I was away was for possible severe rain plus we're heading into Winter .

And with the way the weather has been in New Zealand in the last 12 months , be prepared for anything , seems to be a global phenomenon

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just replaced my Bridgestone T31 rear tire (lasted about ~7000 miles) with Michelin Road 5 Trail tire. The T31's were getting a little squirely in the turns even before the tread was gone. I also started to get this weird "woowoowoo" sound for the first few miles starting out cold. I thought I had a bad wheel bearing. The T31 handled fine till EOL but nothing like the R5 tire and the weird sound is gone.

The R5 falls gracefully into a turn and the grip is amazing, really a great tire compared to the T31. I had Pilot Road 3's and 4's on my previous bike, a Gen1 Wee, and they handled great. The PR3 and PR4 are the predecessors of the R5, Michelin just dropped the "Pilot" monicker so this round I thought I'd try the R5 on my Gen2 L4 and I am glad I went back.

My rationale for the T31 was for cost savings and more miles. I paid $155+t for the T31 and $220+t for the R5 so the Michelins are more expensive and I will probably only get 5K miles out of them. Let's do some math! Assuming 9% sales tax and that the T31's got 7000 miles and that the R5 will get 5000 miles and since the $220 for the R5 included carry-in mount and balance so adding $30 fee to the cost of the T31 to make it a fair comparison -- I get that the T31 is ~35.2miles/$ and the R5 ~20.9miles/$ so the Michelins are about 1.7 times as expensive as the Bridgestones.

Despite the cost difference, I am just going to stick with the Michelins from now on, they are that good. I still have a T31 on the front which I will probably run for a while to get my money's worth but replace early with an R5 at some point. BTW, my use case is 90% twisties and 10% slabbing it (to get TO the twisties). I don't go off-road and wouldn't even think of crossing a creek unless the law was on my tail. I have done occasional fire-trails, dirt or gravel road, etc. to get to campsites or what-not but my 'Strom is essentially a street bike.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have a Road 5 Trail on the back of my Wee, a replacement for the PR4 that I wore out. It's a noice tyre all right. Really good feel to it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Road 5 Trails are some of the best tyres I have ever had on a road bike. I use them on my 1000 and am very happy with all aspects of them.

Tbh I don't understand the pressures quoted by the OP. Surely the pressures quoted are back to front ? On my 1000 I run 36 front and 38 rear riding solo.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Griff2 you're right , those numbers were way wrong , they should have been reversed .
I use a TPM & I don't think its accurate tempted to chuck it .
But what I do know is these tyres are unreal , totally transformed the bike with their road holding .

Reactions: Griff2

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put road 5 trails on my 2013 wee last weekend from the K60 scouts and it is an improvement. It was my first time ever changing a tire. The front tire would not seat correctly and I had to use a 5 gallon air cannon at 100PSI to seat the front tire, I would recommend buying the tires from the same shop as you intend to put them on, I wish I would have done this. I balanced the tires with the axel on jack stands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Road 5 Trails are some of the best tyres I have ever had on a road bike. I use them on my 1000 and am very happy with all aspects of them.

Tbh I don't understand the pressures quoted by the OP. Surely the pressures quoted are back to front ? On my 1000 I run 36 front and 38 rear riding solo.
My wee says to run 33 front and 36 in the back, my tires pressure gauges all read different values, same as the gas station air hose so I just try to get the tires as close to 33PSI front and 36PSI back as possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts