StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to need to replace my tires on my bike. Since I am 99% on road, and I will be taking a 4500 mile cross country trip in May, I figured I would go with a street oriented tire. Seems like the Michelin Pilot Road 4 is highly recommended . (I currently have a Dunlop TR91 in the front and a Battlewing in rear)

I saw they make 3 versions: PR4, GT, and Trail. I know I have to run the Trail version in the front because of the size. Should I run a Trail in the rear or should I look to run the regular PR4 in the back?

Also, IS this the best tire for my application? I want to make sure I get decent mileage and I saw on Revzilla (regarding the Trails) some people were complaining they wear out quickly. If not, what are ideas for a road focused tire that would be better?

Thank you

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,422 Posts
I have run them. The front "trail" version will last a very long time. The rear "trail" version went around 6000 miles, which is less than I got from the PR3 under the same conditions. They are good in the rain, but I don't know that they are so much better to be a real factor. I would definitely go with the regular ( not GT or Trail ) on the rear if I went with them.

I prefer the handling of the Bridgestone T-30 over the PR4. Simply feel more secure and precise. The PR4 can feel very squirmy under hard braking. I have tried to break loose the rear tire on wet roads ( at low speeds ) with the T-30 and they just stick. At under $220 per set delivered I cannot see the value in the Michelins. It seems they get nearly the same mileage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have trail front and regular rear.
Front will last another season, maybe two, but it will be old and will be replaced no matter how will it look like.

Rear lasted one season.
16000km, of that:
3000km with pillion.
6000km with pillion and all camping (1-2 weeks) gear.
7000km alone.

Out of 16000 km I had like 7000 on highways (motorways, whatever you call them) mostly on camping trips so 2up with lugagge. All the rest was local roads, so a lot of turns and corners.

I do not consider myself aggressive or fast rider.

That is NOT a tire to be used on dirt roads. Yes, a little, over work zones, but primary use is asphalt. It is great in rain (even with temps around 0°C was no problem).

Overall, it went on my bike again, so for me it is good.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm not a car tire advocate but I always said that if I ever decide to go cross country on a long trip I would have to give it a good consideration. Others may chime in.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear trail lasting only 6k isn't going to be an option for me. With my trip being 4500 miles alone, I don't want to have to buy another tire right when I return. 10k miles is better (not great but better) From what I see here and on another thread I found, it sounds like the regular is better. Per Michelin's website, the Trail lacks the hard center compound the regular one does. I rarely ride two up so that should reduce some wear. However I do usually have side bags with gear in them but not much (probably 20llbs).

I went ahead and ordered a Trail front and standard rear.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I ran the PR4's on a Suzuki Katana and loved them. They did alright on easy dirt roads even on the Katana. Fantastic in the rain!
I put the Metzeler Tourance tires on the Vee but have only ridden a couple thousand miles. So far so good.
I think you will like the PR4's.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pick up my Pr4's today. Its a 20+ mile ride home from the shop. I'll report back on my findings

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I went from the original Trailwings (10,000 miles) to a set of PR4s (12,0000 miles) to a set of Battlewings (13,000 miles) and currently have 2,000 miles on a new set or Battlewings. I liked the PR4s but for the price difference I found the Battlewings to be a great tire and suits my riding habits.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have put about 30 mile son the new tires so far, so I can't say much as I am still breaking them in. I will say the ride is a lot better than before. The bikes turns in easier and is quitter at 80+. Only time will tell, but so far, I like them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts