StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just ordered a set of these tyres for my 'Strom. Should be fitted next week.

I'd like to hear from people who have them fitted to their 2014 and later 1000s.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Gen 1 owners are not worthy to give their opinion.:frown2:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
Gen 1 owners are not worthy to give their opinion.:frown2:

He wouldn't like what I had to say about the rear ones anyway......:frown2:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Shouldn't make any real world difference, but pretty pricey tires for the mileage they get imho.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You can give your opinion. But as I don't own a Gen 1, how relevant will it be?
Thanks!
I'm on my second set of rears and first on the front and other than the cost I can't say anything too negative about them. I have never felt more confident in the rain and never felt more confident in the rain while riding the 'Tail of the Dragon'. The wear is offset by a harder compound in the center of the tire for long highway rides however I spend most of my rubber in the NC mountains so I get full use of the tire.
Long term front, I'm getting a little unique cupping regarding the sipes even tho I keep the pressure up and use Ride-On as a ballancer. The front tire is now louder than new but also close to it's end of life.
I chose to spend my money on the PR4's because of my riding style which is 99% pavement on fast-pace mountian twisties. If your style is different and your % of time is greater off pavement then you may find a better combo for your bike.

Reactions: RazzleH

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
I'll bite! I'm wearing one on my Vee right now.
PR3's gave me 8500 miles on the rear tire. Had new PR3's front and rear to start. At 8500, I installed the PR4 rear, the PR3 front was doing really good. At 5500 miles the PR4 was toast. Same exact bike and pretty much the same riding. Others have seen this. Front PR3 was still good after two rears. The rear "Trail" series has a softer compound in the center than the non-Trail version. Yes, they are a good rain tire. But I have had no issues with the T-30 Bridgestones in the rain either.
I carefully looked at the carcass of the Trail and the non-Trail versions. I had a non trail for my RT to compare. I cannot see where the Trail was any sturdier. I would buy the non Trail version to get the extra mileage.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
PR3's gave me 8500 miles on the rear tire. Had new PR3's front and rear to start. At 8500, I installed the PR4 rear, the PR3 front was doing really good. At 5500 miles the PR4 was toast. Same exact bike and pretty much the same riding. Others have seen this. Front PR3 was still good after two rears. The rear "Trail" series has a softer compound in the center than the non-Trail version. Yes, they are a good rain tire. But I have had no issues with the T-30 Bridgestones in the rain either.
I carefully looked at the carcass of the Trail and the non-Trail versions. I had a non trail for my RT to compare. I cannot see where the Trail was any sturdier. I would buy the non Trail version to get the extra mileage.
I remember you putting endless highway miles on your bikes. I would probably consider a different tire if I were riding like that. May even go to the dark side ;) lol

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I would buy the non Trail version to get the extra mileage.
That is what I did. IIRC, the Trail compound along the center strip is medium, whereas the non-trail center strip is a hard compound. But it's narrow and on lean, the sides are a soft compound. I got 11,000 out of my PR3 rear Trail, so I was pretty happy with that. On the 650. I sold my bike with the PR4 on it, but I was thinking it might not go as far based on how it looked at the time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments, folks.

I've run Pilot Roads on my bikes for some ten years or more now (Honda Blackbirds). So, I'm unfamiliar with how the "trail" versions perform.

In any case, they have to be better than what the bike currently has, some form of Metzler which are worn.

Some of the mileage claims here look rather high. 8,000 from one person. Is that miles or kilometres? Best that I've gotten out of the PRs on the 'Bird was around 7,000 km or around 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The PR4 road version on the rear of my 650 was changed in September 2016 at 15,556km.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got a bit over 5,200 on a PR4 trail on a K6 Vee. 99% on road. 85% curvy roads. Almost no rain. Liked the ride, but for the mileage, there are cheaper tires that are just as good. Working on a Bridgestone T 30 now. Like it so far.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update. Have the Trails on the bike. First thing that I noticed was how it was more responsive to throwing the bike, left to right (and vice versa). The original rear Metzler was almost "square" given the original owner did a lot of freeway miles.

Gripwise, it's been OK. I've not ridden in the wet, yet, but if it's anything like the Pilot Roads on the old 'Bird they should be fine.

They cost me around $500 AUD fitted and balanced.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Has anyone compared the Anakee 3 to the RP 4?
That's like comparing a hamburger to a ham sandwich. Both fill your belly. Otherwise, they're very different.

If you want to do some light duty off pavement riding, the Anakee 3 is one of many good choices. If you ride almost nothing but pavement and want a great rain tire, get the Pilot Road 4.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts