StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I am just about ready for new tires - still have the original TrailThings with 9800 miles on the bike.

What do folks think of Pilot Roads and/or Anakees? I am seriously looking at Michelins for the next tire set...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I replaced my first set of TW with the Pilot Road. I found the Pilot to be quieter and seemed smoother right off the cuff. It is super in the rain. But (isnt there always a but?).....the pilot gives verrrrry poor rear braking traction, it locks up very easily. I also found that during cornering, the tire would break loose under even mild acceleration and the back end of the bike felt like the tire was "folding over".
I was also very disappointed in the life span of the rear tire. At 6000km, it was basically worn out. Not what I expected from a 260.00 CDN tire that was touted as a long mileage tire.
So, unless you do an awful lot of riding in the rain, I would not recommend the Pilot Road on the Wee.
I have since installed Anakees on my 650, and hope they will provide longer life.
I have heard good things about the Tourance tire.

cheers

k5 in kanada

K

·
0 Posts
I have sold the Road in all sizes and have NEVER heard this complaint before.

And Roads have been used at our track days with wonderful results.

Everything you say sounds like low air pressure. What did you use?

S

·
0 Posts
I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but I had a less than desirable experience with the pilot roads. I had them installed on my FZ1 for a short time, and I found there grip on twisty roads to be unacceptable. They broke traction often. They are designed to be a high mileage tire, but they sacrifice grip by using a harder rubber compound.

I tend to be a fairly aggressive rider, So the grip on pilot roads may work well for folks who have a mellow riding style.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If you read my post, you will see you are not the lone desenter. I too found them to offer poor grip during cornering. And their claim to be a long laster is also incorrect.
I use my Wee for general riding, touring and the occasional "spirited" run. Even during semi-aggressive cornering, it felt unstable. Accelerating out of a corner (especially cement), my 650 would break the tire loose. I did not have this problem with the original TW's.
If I was in an area that had rain 50% of the time, I would keep the tire as it does work very well in the wet.

cheers

S

·
0 Posts
rcacs said:
If you read my post, you will see you are not the lone desenter. I too found them to offer poor grip during cornering.
Your right- I missed your post as I skimmed through the thread. I don't feel so lonely now. :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had them on my ZR for about 3000 miles and wasn't overly impressed. They tended to be very sensitive to uneven surfaces in the road and tended to hop around a lot more than the BT020's they replaced. I'm not sure about the wear because I traded the ZR.

K

·
0 Posts
The Road has a stiff casing, but a softer compound. It was designed as a higher mileage sport tire, not as a high mileage tire.

If you want high mileage, ride a ME880.

Most of the issues regarding what was written above seem to revolve around not getting heat into tire, thus it cannot work properly. The Roads compound is designed for excellent wet-weather feel and traction, with excellent dry manners.

The issue I do hear most about revolves around its stiff casing, which can give a harsher ride to a bike with a less than refined suspension.

I have had many DL1000 riders rave about the tire, as well as GS and Tiger riders. And one Capanord.

I think if you lowered the air pressure to 34 rear in a cold, wet climate you may see better rear traction.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Here in Manitoba it gets very hot in summer, so I dont think heat is the issue. The cornering performance I talk about is after riding for some miles, and the tires are warmed up. Fact of the matter is, the TW's I had previously were much better all around, with the exception of the mentioned rain performance.

cheers

S

·
0 Posts
I live in sunny California. I was using the Pilot Roads in the middle of summer and they still had poor grip. It was definitely not a heat issue. I have used the pilot powers, and they are a great tire. But I will never use the Pilot Roads again.

K

·
0 Posts
Well, this is a first then. I have sold thousands with never a complaint and nothing but praise, especially in wet weather.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Odd eh?
just passed along my observations of the tire, nothing more, nothing less.

cheers

K

·
0 Posts
It is.

Part of being a Michelin distributor is actually talking to Michelin. They always want to know about how their tires are doing on the road and any issues that we see arise.

This is one of them.

It doesn't sound like a bad batch issue since it seems it was different bikes at different times. The poor wet-weather performance is shocking as everything else I have dealt with is only praise in this department.

This includes everything from race track support to my teaching a MSF ERC with those tires on my old FZ-1.

My job is NOT to say " You're wrong! You don't know what you are talking about!" in the common internet forum anger post.

My job is to ask, discuss, help and hopefully resolve issues like this.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I think if you re-read the posts, nobody stated the tire was not good in the rain. On the contrary, it is the one thing that I found was very good about the tire.
Probably my biggest concern of all, was the very poor mileage life to it. I bought it as a sport touring tire and the advertisment of it being a tire with higher mileage (in comparrison to what I dont really know). I paid 260.00 CDN for it, and expected more than 6000 useful KM's.
Hope this helps.

cheers

·
Registered
192 Posts
I currently have Pilot roads on my Big Bore VFR, and I am not really impressed with them. The VFR has a stroker motor (840 cc 120 HP at wheel), and a fully sorted suspension. Previous tires were BT-010 then Pilot sports. The Sports were awsome once warmed up, but short lived ( 1900 miles and the rear was to the wear bars). While the Road is far superior in the wet there is no comparison in the dry. The Roads have a tendency to squirm around on hard corner exits, and if provoked will spin as well. However my riding style would spin the sports as well, on aggressive throttle inputs while laid over. Overall I would not put Roads on anything with serious sporting intentions, but they would probably work well on a Vstrom or perhaps an ST1300. I do know they reek on any type of dirt or gravel, however.
I will be going to Powers on teh VFR come spring, especially for track days.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Even though I was pretty disappointed in the Road, I havnt entirely given up on Michelins.
I installed a fresh set of Anakees on the Wee and hope that I can get at least the wear from them as I did the original TW's.
The Michelin Anakee is a pretty expensive skin up here in Canada, so I hope my money is well spent.

cheers

·
Registered
360 Posts
My limited experience hasn't turned me off of Michelins, either. The problems I experienced were in very specific circumstances and could have been due to improper mounting or whatever. I didn't have my ZR long enough to really look into the problem.

My experience with a new set of Tourances was much more irritating. I doubt if I will ever consider them again after reading about so many other people that experienced head shake problems with the Tourance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts