StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are a high mileage street rider/comuter this is a great tire. The dual compound Pilot 3 has been a popular tire for 17" sport tourers for some time. FINALLY, Michelin is making it in sizes that fit our bikes. I have got about 500 mi on a set on the Vee, and the bike has never been more stable or handled better on the road. (It no longer wags crossing longitudinal freeway grooves like the Anakees). They are pricey, but should hold up well due to the dual compound. I will follow up with a wear appraisal in a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
These have been _the_ tire of choice on the Tiger 1050 forum for some time.
Please update as you put miles on!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I went to the pr-3 street a while back. Great tire, but the rear only lasted 6,000 miles. The front is still very good with only a little cupping at 8,000 mi. I have now gone with a pr-3 trail version to try to get a little more longevity.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have almost 8k on my set. Great tires. No cupping at all. Very stable and excellent grip in the rain. Saving up some cash for my next set. Only have about 500 miles left on the rear. Yea i know the front can last longer but i like to replace em in sets.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have 2K on mine and it looks to have very little wear. Should last longer than the 5800 the stock tire did

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I have almost 8k on my set. Great tires. No cupping at all. Very stable and excellent grip in the rain. Saving up some cash for my next set. Only have about 500 miles left on the rear. Yea i know the front can last longer but i like to replace em in sets.
Only 8K on the rear? Different owners get different mileage of course but that seems low. I have 5,700 on the factory Bridgestones and could easily get 8K out of the rear. BUT...I am going on a trip to WV with my Son and I just ordered a set of Pilot Road 3 Trails to mount up. Probably looking at 4K miles in a week and don't want to run out of rubber! I was just about ready to order the Anakee 3's, but I simply don't ride in off road conditions enough to justify them. I really like the looks, but I don't want anywhere near a mudhole, muddy ruts, etc. I think I will be pleased with the Road 3's but I sure expect more than 8K out of the rear!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Only 8K on the rear? Different owners get different mileage of course but that seems low. I have 5,700 on the factory Bridgestones and could easily get 8K out of the rear. BUT...I am going on a trip to WV with my Son and I just ordered a set of Pilot Road 3 Trails to mount up. Probably looking at 4K miles in a week and don't want to run out of rubber! I was just about ready to order the Anakee 3's, but I simply don't ride in off road conditions enough to justify them. I really like the looks, but I don't want anywhere near a mudhole, muddy ruts, etc. I think I will be pleased with the Road 3's but I sure expect more than 8K out of the rear!
My tires never last too long. Im a hefty guy at 240lbs and i ride like a bat outta hell most of the time. 8k is actually good life for me. I had 7k on the factory tires and they had plenty of tread left but the front started to cup so i replaced them.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
My tires never last too long. Im a hefty guy at 240lbs and i ride like a bat outta hell most of the time.
Plus hot road surfaces and perhaps abrasive aggregate in some regions used to make the paving material. Tire life is very individual.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got ~800 miles on mine and I love them, it was raining when I picked up the bike when they were installed, though I was super cautions with inputs, I never felt a slip.

Curious about the "Trail" aspect of these, they look like a street tire, has anybody got any dirt/gravel experiences they'd like to share...?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've got ~800 miles on mine and I love them, it was raining when I picked up the bike when they were installed, though I was super cautions with inputs, I never felt a slip.

Curious about the "Trail" aspect of these, they look like a street tire, has anybody got any dirt/gravel experiences they'd like to share...?
They are a street tire. The trails just have harder rubber compound in the center so they last longer.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If you are a high mileage street rider/comuter this is a great tire. The dual compound Pilot 3 has been a popular tire for 17" sport tourers for some time. FINALLY, Michelin is making it in sizes that fit our bikes. I have got about 500 mi on a set on the Vee, and the bike has never been more stable or handled better on the road. (It no longer wags crossing longitudinal freeway grooves like the Anakees). They are pricey, but should hold up well due to the dual compound. I will follow up with a wear appraisal in a few thousand miles.
I have a set waiting for me at my dealer.
What size front did you get? The 110/80 was the only one I could find. I suppose it will do ok.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a set waiting for me at my dealer.
What size front did you get? The 110/80 was the only one I could find. I suppose it will do ok.
I'm thinking it (front) only comes in one size that fits our bike

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 10 day trip planned the first of September (Dragon, Cherohala, etc. again). Probably about a 2500 mile trip by the time I get there and back. I still have the original tires on my '12 Glee but have ordered the PR3's since they seem to be the tires that get the best reviews for those of us who are more the commuter / tourer types.

I have 11,000 miles on the originals (yes I'm old and easy). I plan to leave the originals on until the end of August, I have another weekend trip or two before the 10 day trip and some commuting left in them so I expect to get them to about 12,000 miles. They still look pretty decent. Based on experience, stories, conjecture, would the PR3's do better, worse, or about the same mileage-wise

·
Registered
618 Posts
Based on experience, stories, conjecture, would the PR3's do better, worse, or about the same mileage-wise
From the way you ride, i would say pretty close to the same amount of life, maybe a little less because it is a stickier compound. I got way less out of mine but i dont ride gentle...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a Pilot Road 3 trail on the front, and have put about 16,000Km + on it. It hasn't cupped and has been fine in rain. No issues with tar snakes or rough pavement. Only a few short runs on gravel, so really no experience but seemed okay. I would guess it is 50% to 60% worn. Paired with a Metzler 880 rear, it rides like it is on a rail on pavement. No noise.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Just got back from a 3400 mile trip, that puts about 3700 miles on the new set of PR3 trails. From peg dragging on the Dragon to tank after tank of of 75 mph+ highway travel to wet gravel roads that turned to wet dirt roads ( which is where I turned around and went back!) I got to really test these out. Absolutely the best rain tire I have had. I was to the point of trying to get them to slip on turn exits in heavy rain and never felt it once!

Front tire shows almost no "wear" and appears to not be trying to cup or feather much at all. Could go a LOT of miles at this rate.

Rear tire shows more wear than I was hoping it might. Only time will tell how long it goes, but there is noticeable wear in the center and obvious feathering on the edges where the big grooves are. The best price I could find was around $335. Right now the rear may not show the cost to be worth it. I would have gone with the Anakee 3's if the rear wear is similar. The Bridgestone BT-023's on my Sons bike are at 7300 miles and while the rear is about gone, they were $220 a set!

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
regular PR3 and the PR3 Trail (rear) are two different tires. the PR3 Trail is the best tire for mileage. i got 11.5k to the top of the wear indicators from the last PR3 trail. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I just got back from doing 700 miles two-up on my new PR3 Trails. We had a couple of good rains so I got a good feel of how they handled wet.
They gave me a lot of confidence in the corners while on the Dragon and although I always get nervous when it rains they quickly reassured me.
I ride 99% pavement so they are a great improvement over the stock rubber.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got around 5100 miles on my PR3 trail rear. I think I'll be lucky to get 6500-7000 miles out it... The other day I got caught in brief rain shower and either there was some serious oil that came to the top or that particular type of pavement is slicker than greased owl shit on ice cause I just barely touched the back brake and it locked up big time and got a little sideways. Let up on the brake and it straightened out... Got on the brake gently again and another lock up with the rear trying to come around the other side... Kinda caught me off guard and got the tinker pumpin

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am on my second set of PR3's on my CBF1000.
Love them, especially in the wet!
I have pretty much made up my mind to return to the fold with the new 2014 V1000. I hope Michelin makes the trail version for it.
Had an 08 Wee prior to the CBF and really liked it.
The CBF is nice, but a little cramped for me.
Hopefully Suzuki will have one at the upcoming motorcycle shows here in the Toronto area. If it is comfy I might buy one even without a test ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts