StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock front Bridgestone tire now has 14,600 and is starting to show wear and needs replacing soon. The rear was replaced awhile ago with a (now somewhat old) Michelin Pilot Road 2 and I have liked it a lot. I ready to pull out the wallet and buy the new Pilot Road 3 front tire but I can not find it in stock, anywhere. :headbang: Does anyone have a good website, or favorite store, or know-someone-who-knows-someone?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
They keep changing the availability date. The last one I heard was next September but that could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They keep changing the availability date. The last one I heard was next September but that could be totally wrong.
Man, I've been searching high-and-low trying to find a Michelin Pilot Road 3 front tire for my Wee. No luck whatsoever. Nobody has them. Period. They're gone. I am really in a pickle here so I will most likely get a simple (and very capable) Bridgestone Battlewing 110/80R19 for the front to pair up with my 'still good' Michelin Pilot Road 2 rear tire.

I am pretty certain there is no problem with running the new Battlewing front tire with a slightly older (but still very good) Michelin Pilot Road 2 rear, correct? My MPR2 rear is a 100 percent pure street tire and the new Battlewing is a 80/20 tire. - I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious here. - Thoughts?

·
38,103 Posts
I'd try it. Lot's of folks have run mixed tires and I have yet to hear of a problem.

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
Just get a 2......the verdict is still out on the 3's.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Get a PR for the front off ebay if you can find one...I run one in the front and a PR2 in the back, works great. Got a front off the bay for $90 shipped a few weeks ago. Leftover stock.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
My goto is Dennis Kirk

You also have live inventiry so you know they do or do not before anything else

and

Amazon.com which will scan many sources for you

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'd stay away from the PR3's

There was a guy that had a severe tire failure and carcass seperation on the FZ6 forum. The thread has been pulled or I'd referance it (pending lawsuit).

The rear tire chunked severely so it was changed out. The front tire came undone a couple of weeks later and he ended up going through the back window of his gf's SUV at a intersection. The pic's were quite ugly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
PR 3 failures...

I'm a road only Wee rider and I wanted to run PR 3s also. I ended up with the new Continental Road Attack IIs and they are AMAZING!!!

They support our 19 inch front hoop.

Great tire.

As to the PR 3 failures, yeah, there are a few reports and photos out there of catastrophic tread failure on 100 degree days.

Michelin had the same problem with the first generation Pilot Power dual compound tires.

Get the Continental Road Attack 2s, I LOVE mine.

Cheers.:fineprint:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As to the PR 3 failures, yeah, there are a few reports and photos out there of catastrophic tread failure on 100 degree days.
Yes, I've used the magic of the internet and come across quite a few testimonials of PR3 failures. Dunno what to believe really, but I do know that NO ONE has them in stock right now and perhaps that is a little telling of something... perhaps Michelin has halted production.

Anyways, I got a brand new Bridgestone Battlewing on the way right now from a website we are all familiar with. This Motorcycle Store really is Super. :hurray: Will be delivered tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a SAFE and enjoyable holiday weekend.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just put on the Conti Road Attack ll, so far only 100 miles but it feels great. I was using the Road Attack #1 but I like the ll better, the front feels better than it ever has.
The ll is made in Germany and tread is a little different. At first it looks the same but looking at it closer I noticed they left off some small cuts in the side of the tread. Probably not the best tire for touring miles but great in the twisties.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes, I've used the magic of the internet and come across quite a few testimonials of PR3 failures. Dunno what to believe really, but I do know that NO ONE has them in stock right now and perhaps that is a little telling of something... perhaps Michelin has halted production.
I have only found one PR 3 failure originally on the FZ6 forum but repeated on several others.
A few people do not believe his story but it has a true feel to me.

However, one is a very small number of failures.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Just tried searching again for MRP3 and still no luck. Glad I did not wait for it and ended up getting a Battlewing instead. Seems solid so far.

Anyways, I wonder what's going on with this tire not being in stores? How long do tire manufactures usually take to 'make more tires'? - I'd imagine some assembly line worker yelling into the back room - "Hey Frank, we need more Road Pilot 3s"

If all the stores are sold out of them, (which they are) than Michilen should be smart enough to whip up another batch. I was anxious to try this tire.

My $0.02

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm guessing it's a production problem. Heck it may even be vaporwear as nobody was expecting that tire in that size.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road III has claimed shipping from Competition Accessories. We'll see shortly.
I don't think they are available from anyone in N.America......not even manufactured.

I ended up buying Conti TA's again.....great tire for grip, but the dreaded front end wobble is downright scary on my 1000, which has about 2500miles on them now.

If I let go of the bars at about 35MPH, the bike will go into a full tank slapper.....much more violent that the wobble ever was on my 650 last season.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I recently bought a strom with well worn TAs, and they run smoothly. They're balanced with Dyna Beads; I don't know if that makes a difference. I'd get TAs again based on these, and I know their reputation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts