StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my ownership of the Vee I have run Tourance tires and K76's (Heideneau) (front and rear). I stayed away from Michelin tires believing that you paid for the "name" not necessarily tire quality and durability. Then in 2017 I was reviewing various tires (prices, durability and stability under load). In this particular forum they were discussing the pros and cons of the anakee 3's with one poster simply stating "just try it" and I did.

In the summer of 2017 I was preparing for a cross Canada trip from Nova scotia to British Columbia. Minimum mileage 10,000 km. I had done the trip before but had to change the rear tire (tourance) in Ottawa on the return trip. This time I decided to use a K76 (heidenau ) on the front and a Anakee 3 on the rear. Pressure 36 front and 41 rear. Weight on the bike including my self and camping gear was slightly over 400 lbs. For the purist it's ok to mix bias ply with radials. In an attempt to extend tire durability my max speed was 100km/hr even in 110 km/hr zones (4 lane roads).

I was lucky in that it was sunny for the 17 days with head winds headed west and back winds headed east. So the wind factor more or less cancelled out.

The roads were, in general, in good condition with construction zones here & there. Max speed limit in Ontario ( hwy 17) ranged from 50 km to 90 km with a lot of hills. Average temp was above 25 C with the humidex being above 30 C.

Taking off and stopping were neither fast nor slow and largely depended on the traffic around me.

On the return trip (nearing Ottawa) the tires were in excellent shape with plenty of tread so I traveled the last 1200km at 110 to 120 km/hr.

For the tires: The front K76 acted as expected with little wear. The anakee 3 after 10,000 km had plenty of tread left.

I am now at 12000 km with the tires and the Anakee 3 has 5 mm of tread left (center) .

At this point I am being aggresive with the bike in an attempt to determine why the bike refuses to accelerate past 5000 rpm in 5th gear (probably fuel pump blockage).

In conclusion I am very happy with the rear anakee 3,; good mileage & dependable. It is now my go to tire for long trips and heavy weight. I fully expect to get 15000 km on the rear tire once I fix the bike. The front K76 is also a good tire, and when the tire begins to scallop simply turn it 180.

Brian

·
Registered
257 Posts
If I go down to Atlanta at the end of the month I need to change my tires, this info is quite helpful. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I put them on my 2006 DL1000 and have put roughly 6000 km on them. They handle great and, since I live on the wet west coast (No so much this summer!) I've been very happy with how they handle rainy conditions.

The only time I've felt any slippage was when I was on the road early at the start of a rain storm after a good month or more without rain. At that point it literally looked like someone had spilled dish soap or laundry detergent everywhere because there was foam all over the roads.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
One of the best tires if not the best I ever had on my 650. Very good on dry, wet and gravel as well. Got over 22000 km out of the set. Surprisingly rear one was in better shape then the front one. Just 2 days ago I installed Michelin Road Pilot 4 on the rear. It performs superb. Let's see how long it is gone last tough.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
My tires are nearly due and the local motorcycle tire place has Michelin on sale. I think this time Anakee 3's it is.

Just made an appointment for 10 am tomorrow.

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm on my second set of Anakee 3's and I've been completely happy with them in all conditions.
My first set lasted around 14,000 miles (yes miles) and still had a bit of life left, though they were squared off quite a bit. The mechanic at the dealer was shocked but he knew I wasn't joking because he had installed them in the first place. He was also surprised to find two plugs in them that had worn off on the outside to the point you couldn't see them at all.
One thing I really like about them is they do very well in sand. We can drive on the beaches on the East coast of Florida and the large surface area of the tread pattern allow it to stay on top instead of digging in like most other tires I see on the sand.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Mine are being installed right now.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I just ran the new Anakee 3's in this afternoon about 100 miles or so and nearly had a furry encounter. Front and rear cameras are always on.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I really like the Anakee so far after only 200 miles. They track nicely on the twisties. They do sing a bit at a lower frequency - especially the rear I think. More than the stock Bridgestone's and maybe a bit less than TKC70's. Most noticeable at about 40 mph.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ugh, those tires have tempted me since they first came out... Budget-wise they didn't make sense to me because of their lifespan.
Reading this review, i might test them next year after all.

Did you have to be uber gentle to get 12000kms?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ugh, those tires have tempted me since they first came out... Budget-wise they didn't make sense to me because of their lifespan.

I got 12,000+ Miles from a set of A3's. These were not easy miles for tires, these are just amazing tires.

Budget-wise I dont see a better value, more so considering i pay for someone to change and balance my tires...

Reactions: JackinCT

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Don't buy this 20L Givi tank bag. I love it! Once you get one you can never go back to anything smaller. lol There are tons of folks who found how great they are. I bought all of my Givi stuff straight form Italy at roughly 60% of Revzilla prices with shipping included. Less than 7 days to my door Fed-Ex.

I even eat my lunch on it sometimes.

That $172 price is ridiculous IMO.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs308-tanklock-tankbag?gclid=CjwKCAjw3rfOBRBJEiwAam-GsEgYknMAm4x6a0F7MnwuZOXfOlJo9IaCsSZzdhTR7YzntebDYbhrWRoCHQIQAvD_BwE

I will try some well groomed Ozark fire roads this weekend now that I have about 250 miles on the new Anakee 3's. Excellent so far. On the mileage one BMW rider said he got over 12,000+ miles out of his (on the rear) in my area. I thought that pretty good.

off topic that's the biggest freaking tank bag I've ever seen you sleep in that thing or what.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't buy this 20L Givi tank bag. I love it! Once you get one you can never go back to anything smaller. lol There are tons of folks who found how great they are. I bought all of my Givi stuff straight form Italy at roughly 60% of Revzilla prices with shipping included. Less than 7 days to my door Fed-Ex.
I have the 15L version and its growing on me quickly. That one just looks huge.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I don't even know its there. It is perfect for detailed maps even with a GPS. I dulled the shiny surface of the plastic map cover because it had some glare at high noon. Took me five minutes with some fine steel wool.

I have the 15L version and its growing on me quickly. That one just looks huge.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Not really, depends on the total weight of bike & passenger(s), road surface type , hills and headwind. I was completely surprised, in my case, of the mileage.

As a side note the problem with my bike turned out to be a plugged fuel filter. I was gentle enough on the bike ie did not rev it over 4500 rpm, that I didn't notice the the fuel starvation. A dirty test revealed 50 ml on 3 ignition activation's. Doing the filter bypass.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I usually buy tires from denniskirk.com. The information on their website says the Anakee 3 is not DOT approved for road use. I'm thinking this can't be correct. ???

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Brand Michelin
Sub-Brand Anakee III
The D.O.T 5014

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I used 2 sets on my Vee and am on my sixth set on two Teneres. My favorite. My only complaint is the fronts wear out on me around 6,500 miles while the rears will go 12,000 miles. The Tenere has 100 hp and strong brakes and I use them both.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I'm over 15000 km on the rear Anakee 3 with 3 mm of thread left (in the middle). The last 3ooo km has been hard on the tire as I "had fun" testing the new fuel filter setup.

All in all quite happy

1 - 20 of 40 Posts