StromTrooper banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have decided to order some new tires for my Wee. After a lot of research and reading about all the different tires, I have decided on the Anakee 2's. I am very impressed with the Heidenau K60 Scout, but after carefully examining my riding plans, and being VERY realistic, I won't be traveling to Alaska soon and don't have any real off-road adventures planned. So, dispite my vanity, I have chosen the Anakee for mileage and value.

I wanted to include the following review which I shamelessly lifted from the Motorcycle Superstore product review area. The following review is probably the single biggest contributor to my final decision. I did find many other reveiws and recommendations that echoed this riders sympathy, but this first hand experience really convinced me and I thought that maybe some of you might like to read this too:

Alaskan Review

I LIVE in Alaska, not just ride up there on an adventure. I do 100 miles roundtrip daily during the riding months on my R1200GS. 100 miles roundtrip daily, sandpaper roads, 20% twisties, wet/frost/dry, 75mph bumper to bumper, 10 miles of loose dirt. The wear that I've had is on the toe soles of my riding boots, not on my tires, if you understand what I'm saying... riding with lean is my requirement. Have 12,ooo miles on these skins and figure that I have 5,000 miles left before replacement. I will not look for another tire.... Dick Larson.. Palmer Alaska

I currently have about 7,700 miles on my OEM trailwings and if I can get 10k-12K on a set of Anakee 2's, I'll be extremely pleased.

·
Registered
285 Posts
excellent tire i have about 10K on my rear and it is getting low.
excellent grip, they get noisy in the turns as they wear.
as mt dl is primarly a commuter i am going with the rp3's when
the anakees wear out.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I also just bought a set of A2s from Rocky Mountain which are in my shop and waiting for my Tourances to die. BTW, tourances did me well also, just needed a different shoe this time.

I shopped around a little. RMountain had the V rated A2s for $260 a set, to Louisville, KY.:hurray:

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Anakee 2

Liked them and did scrape some so they work for that

Not dead yet but my heavy wrist and VEE I doubt I will
get like 6000 on the rear.

I am going to leave the front and find some different rear
right now thinking PR2

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put an A2 on the rear at about 6000 miles, just turned 13,000 and hardly showing any wear! Will replace the front soon, I'm thinking an A2 as the replacement there! The A2 is a little noisy on the highway, but hey, it's an adventure touring bike! :thumbup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've got a front coming from RMATV for my upcoming Alaska trip. I hope it works as well as my current EXP with my CT rear.

·
Registered
664 Posts
richw, why would you go with the PR2s instead of the newer PR3? As long as you avoid the trail version, you get the same compound arrangement, and probably better wet weather grip.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I might look around for a dual compound with something like a real tread.

Do I believe Continental their claim that they "cure" the tires into
different wear areas. Their trail attack look better than Michelin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dumb question.. is there any reason at all for the V rated tires on the Wee? Hope this isn't a hijack...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dumb question.. is there any reason at all for the V rated tires on the Wee? Hope this isn't a hijack...
Nope, there isn't.

The only reason I can see is that other bikes like the Yamaha Super Tenere, Triumph Explorer, BMW 1200 GSA and others use the same size tire, and they need a bit more speed rating than we do.

My wee will shortly have a front tire that'll do 149, and a rear that'll do 168. I am pretty sure I won't be able to get it that fast without a rocket booster.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you're saying the H rating is fine for us?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the wee strom shuts off at 125, no need spending money on tires that are rated for higher speeds than that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What changes about the tire to give it a higher speed rating??

sidewall strength?

tread difference ?

I would like to know for curiosity sake.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Strictly speaking, a "faster" tire needs to be able to handle higher heat levels. The only info I can find is that it's legally required in some places to mount tires rated for "above the speed of the vehicle". V is safely above the speed the wee will go, as is H, frankly. I'm not sure there's any advantage to going bigger than that.

From what I was told when buying a mismatched set of speed ratings for tires (long story, has to do with the new trail PR3s), there's no difference BUT the speed rating in the tires. Not sure how, but that's the word I was given.

I don't know about the Vee, but I know the wee won't break 125, which would imply that the H-rated tires at 130 would be fine. Most of them seem to be V-rated all the same, so you should have little to worry about.

(Edit: AFAIK the wee won't break 111 or so on flat ground, in actual speed, as opposed to the funhouse mirror speedometer, so you should be WELL fine with 130-rated tires).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Anakee 2
...Not dead yet but my heavy wrist and VEE I doubt I will
get like 6000 on the rear.
I also have a V and have yet to get better than 6K from ANY rear tire. Next change I'm going with pure street either Michlen Roadtec Z6 or Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II. I have never put the same make/model tire on twice. If I can't get better then 6k going with a CT Achilles 205/50/17 which should get me about 20k.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I followed a linky to a sport touring magazine where NONE of their rear tires lasted more than 5 and most were dead at 3800

I guess that works then.

·
Registered
664 Posts
skyguy said:
Just make sure you pull that wheelie when you hit 150mph to save your front tire!
:green_lol::hurray:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.