StromTrooper banner

Mice Deterrent(s)

4K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  phoenixsteve 
#1 ·
first time ever...freakin :furious:mouse has tried to take up residence under my seat....

So far I am using Moth Balls and a couple placed traps.....

Anybody else got a sure fire way to keep them at bay?

#2 ·
First year I "stored' my 2006 I had a nice Mouse Restaurant under my seat. I took out two handfulls of Sunflower Seed Shells but they didn't seem to touch the bike. The next frew years Mothballs seemed to work at keeping them away. After that I didn't bother actually storing it and dind't have any issue.

I have heard that the electric rodent repellants work well but havent tried them. We just built a new Pool House and there is stuff in there mice might like. My wife is says that the electric repellers work so we are getting them in there.

..Tom

#4 ·
Electronic pest repellents work as well as deer whistles, not at all.

#19 ·
Several years ago I saw a mouse run under my workbench stool(which I was sitting on)so I got some DeCon Wedge feeders and haven't seen a critter since. I put the feeders behind cabinets and under the workbench. I did find a dead one under my roll around tool cabinet since getting the DeCon, but that's the only one.

#8 ·
There is a five acre field with a cow shed that butts up to my property and every year in the late fall I get a run from the mice trying to find a warmer place to reside. As soon as I see the first mouse, a few well placed packets of D-Con in my shed, crawl space and out of the way corners in the garage takes care of the mouse invasion.

#17 ·
We use D-Con in the garage too. We've used it for years and we're down to a couple of wedges placed out in the early fall. They usually go mostly uneaten and no critter signs now.

#12 ·
I park under a carport iin the woods and have had issues during the winter even though I ride it at least twice a month in winter. I put a trap with peanut butter next to both tires (under the bike cover) and have not had an issue since I started that. I figure they are going to start climbing up by the tires so they'll see the trap.

I also place some under my Jeep near the tires and catch 6-10 over the winter normally. This year I thought to try to blow the leaves away from the carport sides so that mice would not have as much cover to get close.

#13 ·
I crank up my lift table and put poison out by the edges of the main garage door since one bad episode with rats. The time to be especially careful is after a ride in cold weather. Vermin are attracted to the bike's heat.

#16 ·
I use the kitty method also. Love the pic Randyo, beautiful cat. My bike stays in the basement in the wither time and I have 2 indoor/outdoor feline ninjas that love to sleep on my seat. House stays mouse free except for an occasional special forces mouse that gets in the attic. Snap traps take care of them.

#18 ·
I had a cat that was hit by a car about 5 years ago

earlier this year, we began to have a rodent problem and my GF and I discussed getting a cat, no freeking way am I going to pay for a cat, shelters want a $125 or more "donation" I was scouring CL for free cats (cats are not free if there is a "re-homing fee" then the next day, I find a stray cat diving in my dumpster and stalking chipmunks in my stone walls, perfect, we coaxed her into the house

best mouser I've ever seen, we barely feed her, maybe a half cup of dry food every other day, no need for litter box, she's outdoors more than indoors

#23 ·
Before I store my bike for the winter, I get a box of the cheapest and smelliest dryer sheets I can find. You know....the ones that make you gag when you catch a whiff? How people can put those in with their clean clothes is beyond me! Anyway, I stuff those all over the bike and under the seat before I cover her up with my bike cover and put her into hibernation. The barn I store my Wee in is Mouse Central but so far the stinky dryer sheets are doing the trick.

#25 ·
I take the seat off during the winter and tie wrapped a screen over the airbox intake snorkle which stays on year round.

#26 ·
I have a rural property and had a mouse problem, I also keep snakes at my home in Sydney, so I collected some of the skins and droppings and scattered them around my shed, this would work for up to 12 months.

My place is a 12v solar powered system and the native rats would chew the wires, I fitted a Megapulse Battery conditioner to help keep the second-hand batteries in good condition, I have not had a rat or mouse in the place since it was fitted ??

The Megapulse seems to do two jobs ???

#27 ·
We had a dog kennel with a lot of dry dog food stored, mice galore. We tried all kinds of traps, including industrial traps supplied by a pro exterminator. Eventually discovered the bucket trap (a variation on the one posted already):

Bend a coat hanger into a straight wire. Poke a hole in both ends of a can and and feed the wire thru the holes so the can is free to spin around. Rig that assembly to span the open end of a clean 5 gallon plastic bucket. Smear peanut butter the can. Lean something against the bucket as a ramp.

They climb up the ramp, fall in the bucket. The sides are too vertical, tall, and slippery for them to get out. You can catch and release (or whatever - maybe you have a pet snake), or put a few inches of water in the bucket so they drown after swimming to exhaustion.

First few days we'd catch 5 -15 mice in each bucket each night. Wife would drive them to the park a few miles away and dump them out on her way home...

It's just amazing how much better this low-tech, simple, free system worked then EVERYTHING else we tried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.