StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few pics from today from my two - three month Mexico and Central America trip. Left Creel, Chihuahua at 34 deg and finished up at Urique at the bottom of Copper Canyon at 85 degrees today;. Will attempt Batopilas also at the bottom of the Canyon tomorrow. Four hours of dirt roads tomorrow to get there. Today was about 22 miles of dirt, but very steep. Señorita DL650 running smooth. Have Dunlop Trailmax on her so have a bit more confidence with all these steep dirt roads.
Also, here's a link to my blog.

Plant Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grass

Sky World Tree Paint Asphalt

Mountain Natural landscape Slope Air travel Terrain

Sky Plant Cloud Automotive tire Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Looks fantastic. Hope to see more and with accounts of the local flavour.

·
Premium Member
2018 DL650, 2018 GL1800 Tour DCT, 2015 Corvette Z51 Stingray
27 Posts
A few more pics from today, which unfortunately involved a get off on a really rough road between Urique and Batopilas in Copper Canyon, Chihuahua, Mexico. But so goes life. Going to take a day off here in Batopilas tomorrow though. Haha
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Recreation Luggage and bags Personal protective equipment
Outerwear Plant People in nature Grass Leisure
Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blog update. Copper Canyon to Santa Maria del Oro today. 305 miles. A bit of a scare this morning when bike kept dying in gear. Found a loose wire from the side stand that must have gotten separated when I had to take my skid plate off to repair the damage from my get off in Copper Canyon, Chihuahua a couple days ago. Whew!! Durango tomorrow. South south south I go.

Sky Tire Mountain Plant Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Blog update. Copper Canyon to Santa Maria del Oro today. 305 miles. A bit of a scare this morning when bike kept dying in gear. Found a loose wire from the side stand that must have gotten separated when I had to take my skid plate off to repair the damage from my get off in Copper Canyon, Chihuahua a couple days ago. Whew!! Durango tomorrow. South south south I go.

View attachment 297016
Beautiful, must have been a great feeling of relief when you noticed that wire

·
Registered
16 Posts
Amazing Photos my friend. Let me know when you'll be rideing near Mexico city zone, perhaps I could join you on a stage near from here.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amazing Photos my friend. Let me know when you'll be rideing near Mexico city zone, perhaps I could join you on a stage near from here.
Vives en C.M?

·
Premium Member
2018 DL650, 2018 GL1800 Tour DCT, 2015 Corvette Z51 Stingray
27 Posts
Near the airport my friend, also like Vettes and track days! hehe, not a proudly owner of a Vette but sometimes hitting the track with my Mopar :cool:
What type of Mopar? I had a Plymouth Duster in the '70s, but unfortunately only with a slant 6.
I was a pilot with United Airlines. I'm retired. I used to fly into the Mexico City airport. Very challenging due to the mountains and the altitude. I'll let you know if my travels take me close to Mexico City.
__
Que tipo de Mopar?? Tuve un Plymouth Duster in los 1970s. Pero desafortunadamente solo con "a slant six".
Era pilote con United Airlines. Estoy jubilado. Volaba al aeropueto en C.M. Muy retador debido a las montañas y el altitud.
Te permitaré saber si mis viajes continuan por C.M.

·
Registered
2011 ktm 530 2012 dl650 2014 dl1000 2015 ktm 300
60 Posts
Incredible journey, your out there doing it, I'm jealous. Looks like your having a great adventure. Your vstrom looks setup and ready for anything. Have a good ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What type of Mopar? I had a Plymouth Duster in the '70s, but unfortunately only with a slant 6.
I was a pilot with United Airlines. I'm retired. I used to fly into the Mexico City airport. Very challenging due to the mountains and the altitude. I'll let you know if my travels take me close to Mexico City.
__
Que tipo de Mopar?? Tuve un Plymouth Duster in los 1970s. Pero desafortunadamente solo con "a slant six".
Era pilote con United Airlines. Estoy jubilado. Volaba al aeropueto en C.M. Muy retador debido a las montañas y el altitud.
Te permitaré saber si mis viajes continuan por C.M.
Tengo un Aspen 1977 tambien con un slant 6, pero está desarmado, la idea es transformarlo en una pequeña maquina de track days. Y un Challenger del 2012 para asuntos mas serios. 🙃
Curioso, yo soy ingeniero aeronautico, pero no me dedico a la aeronáutica, mas bien a lo automotriz. A veces uso MS Flight Simulator y juego a aterrizar en MMMX.

Claro, si pasas por aqui quiza podamos coincidir. Saludos amigo!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did the Copper Canyon on college spring break 1992 with a friend, all by bus and hitchhike. I remember frozen puddles in the street in Creel then 80 degrees later that day at the bottom of the barranca. At that time the bus went down one day and up the next and we arrived on the off day so we hitched a ride on the back of a pickup truck. It was a long trip down being bounced around in the bed of the truck. Dirt road the whole way. The trip back up on the bus was harrowing as the bus driver had to do multipoint turns on several of the switchbacks.
The town at the bottom, Batopilas, had one small guest house and no restaurants at the time. What a cool trip, I’ll remember it forever. I’m sure you’re finding it as fascinating as we did. Will be curious to hear from you what it’s like now, 30 years later. Enjoy !!!

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tengo un Aspen 1977 tambien con un slant 6, pero está desarmado, la idea es transformarlo en una pequeña maquina de track days. Y un Challenger del 2012 para asuntos mas serios. 🙃
Curioso, yo soy ingeniero aeronautico, pero no me dedico a la aeronáutica, mas bien a lo automotriz. A veces uso MS Flight Simulator y juego a aterrizar en MMMX.

Claro, si pasas por aqui quiza podamos coincidir. Saludos amigo!!!!
Muy interesante! No sabía que hay track days en Mexico. Que genial! Lo siento, pero si vives en CM, tengo miedo manejar la moto a dentro ciudades grandes. Demasiado peligroso. 😢

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did the Copper Canyon on college spring break 1992 with a friend, all by bus and hitchhike. I remember frozen puddles in the street in Creel then 80 degrees later that day at the bottom of the barranca. At that time the bus went down one day and up the next and we arrived on the off day so we hitched a ride on the back of a pickup truck. It was a long trip down being bounced around in the bed of the truck. Dirt road the whole way. The trip back up on the bus was harrowing as the bus driver had to do multipoint turns on several of the switchbacks.
The town at the bottom, Batopilas, had one small guest house and no restaurants at the time. What a cool trip, I’ll remember it forever. I’m sure you’re finding it as fascinating as we did. Will be curious to hear from you what it’s like now, 30 years later. Enjoy !!!
It’s changed a lot. Still very remote, but Bato. has several hotels and a nice small restaurant called Caroline’s.

Reactions: daveindenver
1 - 20 of 31 Posts