StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought there was a "big tire thread, only tire thread", but I couldn't find it, so I'll ask here.
I am currently running Metzler Tourance Next, very happy with them, but as it's almost tire time I am thinking of trying a set of Dunlop Trailsmart tires. I am reasonably sure any modern tire will be OK, but would appreciate any input on the Dunlops.
I ride almost all pavement, semi- aggressive in the corners. Maybe a well maintained dirt or gravel road once in a while.
Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had 1 set Trailmax, and 2 sets Trailsmart. Liked them a lot. Got around 13000 -14000km from them.
Only tarmac, just a few times on fine gravel road.
Good on wet roads.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have the stock Battle Wings on mine and I am a 90/10 guy. Very pleased with the performance both in the dry and wet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I really hated the Tourance Next, even on the street. They have that tall pointy profile that a lot of Metzlers have. Couldn't wait for them to wear out, so I could replace them. Except that they are no good in the mud, the original Tourance are a much prefered tire to me. Maybe give them a try? If you don't ride off pavement, why not go with a straight street tire like a PR4?

Here's a link to the tire forum.

Suspension and Tire Tech https://www.stromtrooper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I really hated the Tourance Next, even on the street. They have that tall pointy profile that a lot of Metzlers have. Couldn't wait for them to wear out, so I could replace them. Except that they are no good in the mud, the original Tourance are a much prefered tire to me. Maybe give them a try? If you don't ride off pavement, why not go with a straight street tire like a PR4?

Here's a link to the tire forum.

Suspension and Tire Tech https://www.stromtrooper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

I think the PR4 has been discontinued. Look at the Road 5 Trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have used Trailsmarts on my former Triumph 1200 Explorer and they were excellent tyres. Anakees had slowed the steering on that bike but the Trailsmarts restored the quick steering with good grip wet or dry. Tbh I would still be using them if I hadn't tried Michelin Road 5 Trails in the interim. Imho the Road 5's shade the Trailsmarts slightly and I am now very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm also looking at the Metzler Karoo Street. It appears to have a more off road tread design, but they call it "street". Anyone with any input on this one? (Maybe it will tempt me to explore a few trails.)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
recently rode with some friend from TN and one was on a 800GS with well worn TKC80 and even in the rain in extremely twisty tarmac he could walk away form all the other riders with confidence. He rode faster in the wet with worn big block knobbies than most people can in the dry with 100% street tires.

What I learned is it isn't so much the tire but the talent. Any modern tire is a good choice.

I just picked up a set of Shinko 705's for $143.00 shipped. They are a great tire especially for the money and if you change you own tires they are an even better value. Tires costing 2 to 4x as much as the 705's will probably last a little bit longer but not 2 to 4x longer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I’ve only had metzler tournance on my Aprilia capo and they are brilliant on it. Might try them on the strom since I’m due.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and ordered the Karoo Street. The tech support guy at denniskirk said they are an 80-20 tire, and the sidewall and tread plies are the same as the Tourance Next so I'm expecting street performance to be on par with the Tourance Next, with a little bit better on dirt and gravel. (The stock trail wings were very good on the street, but the front cupped badly by 6000 miles, so maybe the karoo won't be so bad in that area, having a 4 ply tread.)
I'll report back after I get a few miles on them. Pikes Peak end of August, so I should have plenty feedback.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, a bit late replying here since you bought the Karoo Street, I just replaced my Dunlop TrailSmart tires with 14,600 miles on them with a second set of the same. All pavement, commuter miles (110 miles round trip) daily on twisty and country two lane roads. Extremely happy with the wear pattern, grip throughout their life, and wet weather performance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've run the Metzler Tourance previously and found them to be acceptable, but can't help you with advice on the Dunlops. I can give a personal recommendation on the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2, though. Mounted them on a Versys 650 for a trip out west thru TX/NM/AZ/CO/UT and they performed very well both on- and off-road (dry conditions only!). Not the cheapest option but easy to mount (if you do your own) and gave great dry/wet grip and wore very well even at high-speed in temps as high as 108* across west TX.

https://ridermagazine.com/2015/08/04/pirelli-scorpion-trail-ii-motorcycle-tires-review/

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.
I'll be trying the Dunlops and the Pirellis sooner or later anyway. I seldom mount the same tires twice, as they are always coming out with a new or updated tire.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
The Trailsmarts were bar none one of my favorite tires to run, although a bit pricey IMHO. I am running Anakee III now and am quite smitten, the confidence they inspire is well.....inspiring.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The answer to these tire threads usually boils down to "try a set and see". And don't forget to report back to the mob.

The Karoo Street looks verrrrrrrrrrrrry innnnnteresting. I run the regular Karoo (Karoo Dirt?) on my KLR650 and absolutely LOVE them.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Karoos have arrived, probably a couple weeks before I mount them. The front tire looks to be a bit wider than the Tourance next, maybe @ 7/16" or 1/2", hard to measure without real calipers. Hope there are no clearance issues with the fender. Same tire size, 110/80R19. The tread is a bit blockier than photos would indicate.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Front is on. Sorry about the sideways photo.
Took a 45 mile round trip up my local mountain, and this tire hooks up great. Smooth, no wobble or noise at any speed. (I wont say how fast I went, but suffice it to say it was as fast as any vstrom 650 rider is likely to go.)
Naturally, being new and perfectly round it drops into corners very easily, but I expected that. It works well with the Tourance Next still on the rear. Since the T-Nxt and Karoo both have the same number and composition of plies in sidewall and tread it could be argued that they are a match, except for the tread design being different, which I didn't notice on pavement. I did take a small ride over some dirt, about 100 ft, just to test the ABS, and the Karoo in front seemed more stable than the T-Nxt in back, but I wasn't going very fast, just enough to activate the ABS.
With 4 to 5/32nds still left on the rear, I'll leave that on for the upcoming trip to Pikes Peak, and report back afterwards when I return and mount the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
My favorite Street tire is a Conti Trail Attack 2.
Superb handling & decent tread life.
Tourance is next for me, then the Avon 50 series (kind noisy tho…)
705's are the barn burner deal for the buck...
PR4's are a damn good street tire, excellent in the rain!
TKC 80's are the king for 50/50 tires, just don't expect more than 4k or so miles out of 'em.
Like always, just my opinion, your results may be different... :nerd:

Reactions: oldjeep
1 - 20 of 24 Posts