1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
I had ME880's on my cruiser before and really liked them. They had good traction in rain too. No idea about longevity though, i sold that bike for my Vee. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set.

I currently have Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires and these are great. Very sticky. I doubt they will last long though.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My OEM Trail Wings were done at 8K miles. Replaced them with a set of Tourance EXP. Like you, my first rear EXP was toast at 7K miles and the second rear EXP will be done at that mileage as well. The front EXP has lasted through both the rears and at 14K miles will be ready for replacement. I have a set of Metzler ME880s sitting in my dining room, just waiting to be installed. I ran the 880s on all my cruisers before the Vee and loved them; longevity was more than adequate and I loved how they handled the curves. I anticipate nothing but the same out of these tires on the Vee.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
ME880's are known to get some pretty high mileages. They have a much deeper tread depth to start with than most mc tires. They are a stiff sidewall tire so ride is a bit firm. They grip well, never had any issues at all with them holding on asphalt wet or dry. I did take them off before they were worn out. They became the most noisy tire I have ever had on a bike! When the square off some they are ok in a straight line, but the moment you lean slightly the noise is quite noticeable. With the cost of them now I would not buy another set.

·
Administrator
13,673 Posts
Do you run the EXp or non-exp? I get around 13,000 miles on my rear non-exp and run it at around 41psi. (Fronts roughly double the rear.)

IIRC, the 880 doesn't come in exactly the right size but is pretty close. I believe Greywolf runs them.

..Tom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you run the EXp or non-exp? I get around 13,000 miles on my rear non-exp and run it at around 41psi. (Fronts roughly double the rear.)

IIRC, the 880 doesn't come in exactly the right size but is pretty close. I believe Greywolf runs them.

..Tom
NON EXP. Mileage this time around will be just at 7k bye the time I replace. Low from my previous experience. I gonna order the 880 and give them a shot. Many thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought another Tourance from Southwest Moto Tires.

Found out I can't run the Tourance front w a 880 rear. Radial / bias ply ??

Sport Tour had better price but charged for shipping giving SW the advantage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I considered the 880 route, and may still do so one day. From the research I have done, it's the longest lasting tire we can get for the Strom. Here are the 880 sizes that fit the Strom: Front-110/90/19 Rear-160/70/17

My issue though is the 880 is considerably more expensive than other tire options. At least considering a lot of our tire options go on sale certain times of the year and I have never seen the 880 go on sale.

I do a lot of miles each year, so having tires last a long time is important. More so than performance quite honestly.

I ran a few Tourance rears and loved them. Probably got around 9-10K miles. I am now running a Pilot Road 2 and get about 11-12K miles on the rear. It's a street tire, so don't consider it if you plan to do any dirt.

I plan to run the Pilot Road 2 in the future as well. It is the perfect blend of performance and longevity for my needs.

·
Registered
816 Posts

..Tom
Me too. I average around 13,000mi (21,000km) out of my non-exp rear Tourances and also run it at 41psi on my Vee. I'm happy with the Tourance so haven't tried an 880, and have no reason to switch.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Good results here with an EXP front (great grip) and regular Tourance rear...10K and still a little life left. The front and rear wore pretty evenly.

Currently running Michelin Pilot Road 3. I like them a lot so far for street and very good dirt roads and don't yet have mileage life info.

·
Administrator
13,673 Posts
What would you pair up front with the me880 on rear since it's a bias tire.
Will it work ok with a bias rear and radial front?
I've never done it but everything I have read (including a poster earlier i nthis thread) says its not an issue on a Motorcycle. (It's quite different with cars but forces there act in different ways.)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

..Tom
I ran the EXP front and rear (40/42 respectively). By 7,000 miles, the rear was into the tread wear indicators. I'm expecting 14,000 miles from the front tire and 7,000 miles from the second rear as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's been a while, 10,000 miles since i put 880's on front and rear... but I believe both were bias as the shop made me sign a waiver. The back was a 160. I'm sure texas has different asphalt (to go with the climate), as up here in the rain they were slippery. I got 10k out of the back and still had a good bit of life left in it, I just got tired of the back kicking loose on paint lines. I'm still running the front (half tread) until I decide what replacement I want to go with my ct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
last year I tried the ME880 front / Tourance rear, though it was on a 17" front wheel. Long story short, while traveling with my wife we had a crash at 50+ mph in the rain. While crossing a water puddle, the front wheel started to feel "vague" and lost the line of the bike. We fell on our right side resulting in my wife's broken elbow and our gear trashed. So for me there's no more 880 until I become a sun-shining-only rider. Best of lucks with your decision.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have been mixing radials and bias since I bought my Vee,no problems at all.I also run darkside with a bias knobby on front!!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
242 Posts
F.W.I.W.Dept file entry....
I have currently the Annakee 2's on mine now.
Installed 12,364 miles ago. I run 41f, 43r pressures. i likely have 60+ lbs. extra weight on it most of the time & I'm ready to go @ 219lbs.
I ride smoothly, but quite agressively.(No Chicken strips here folks!).
After reading this post I went out and measured tread at the center of the tire.... Results??? 3/32's front & 6/32's rear. (I do a front before a rear on all of my bikes for some reason).
Demerits? Yea Buddy!!! They sound like a Co-Op bias ply mud tread tire in any position other than straight up on the highway.
Overall handeling is all I could expect wet or dry (in spite of the noise),good on graded dirt, gravel & livable in shallow sand, and I am quite impressed with the treadwear so far.
In another 2~4,000 miles I will likely go to a PR-3 on front & a PR-3 Trail Or another H rated Annakee 2 on the rear.
I wonder why I seem to be the only person around that gets this kind of milage out of premium dual sport tires? I am also running the o.e. chain & sprockets w/ only 2 adjustments in over 20k miles.....
Am I some sort of a Mutant or what???
:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts