StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought my first motorcycle and it's a V-Strom 650 and put Metzler roadtec 01s on. I notice the dl650 tire recommendation seems pretty low. I bought the bike for sport touring paved mountain roads. Could anyone recommend tire pressure for Metzler Roadtec 01 on this bike. I weigh 200 lbs and will have the luggage loaded up for weekend trips and a big long journey to Whitehorse this Summer.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
As per the Metzeler Tire Specifications Catalog-Fitment Chart, the recommended tire pressures for the DL650-Roadtec 01-All years:
Front 2.25 Bar or 32.6 psi, Rear 2.80 Bar or 40.6 psi.

Specific weight loads not mentioned in Metzeler's info.
My '14 DL1000 doesnt differentiate tire pressures according to weight load.
I keep my Bridgestone BattleWings at the recommended 36F and 42R regardless of load. Some add psi according to load, but I only do that if shown on the frame decal or in the owner's manual.
This is what Metzeler shows in regards to tire pressures:
TYRE PRESSURE
Always inflate the tyre to the correct pressure. Be sure to check cold inflation pressure frequently, i.e. once a week. Although most motorcyclists love to work on their bikes, they seldom remember to check tyre pressures.
Correct tyre pressure, however, is critical for safe handling. Overinflation or extreme tyre pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the contact of the tyre with the road. Underinflation or too little air pressure will result in poor handling and the bike will be inclined to “wander”. Improper and insufficient tyre pressure will also cause rapid tyre wear, an increase in fuel consumption, lower top speed, and provide less control. Remember to check the inflation pressure of your tyres weekly. You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle. Use METZELER’s information only as reference. Attention: When the recommended pressure has been changed for use off-road (race track, off-road), it must be reset to the correct value before riding on the street.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As per the Metzeler Tire Specifications Catalog-Fitment Chart, the recommended tire pressures for the DL650-Roadtec 01-All years:
Front 2.25 Bar or 32.6 psi, Rear 2.80 Bar or 40.6 psi.

Specific weight loads not mentioned in Metzeler's info.
My '14 DL1000 doesnt differentiate tire pressures according to weight load.
I keep my Bridgestone BattleWings at the recommended 36F and 42R regardless of load. Some add psi according to load, but I only do that if shown on the frame decal or in the owner's manual.
This is what Metzeler shows in regards to tire pressures:
TYRE PRESSURE
Always inflate the tyre to the correct pressure. Be sure to check cold inflation pressure frequently, i.e. once a week. Although most motorcyclists love to work on their bikes, they seldom remember to check tyre pressures.
Correct tyre pressure, however, is critical for safe handling. Overinflation or extreme tyre pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the contact of the tyre with the road. Underinflation or too little air pressure will result in poor handling and the bike will be inclined to “wander”. Improper and insufficient tyre pressure will also cause rapid tyre wear, an increase in fuel consumption, lower top speed, and provide less control. Remember to check the inflation pressure of your tyres weekly. You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle. Use METZELER’s information only as reference. Attention: When the recommended pressure has been changed for use off-road (race track, off-road), it must be reset to the correct value before riding on the street.

I was looking everywhere for this information from Metzler could you post a link? Also I have to say that's a lot lower the. I exoexted, especially in the front. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Stick with recommended - tires heat up and pressure rises as much as 5 psi.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
36F/42R should be just fine. From dismounting and mounting the Bridgestone BattleWings, I can tell you 1st-hand that these tire carcasses are damn stiff, much more so than the sport and supersport bike tires I'm used to mounting.
I'm about 225-230, 6'1", and have had my 3-piece+ tankbag luggage loaded, and at no time did I feel the need for more tire pressure. Ive had zero cupping, and even wear across the tire tread.

Rocky, here's the link you requested: https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/home Open the link, scroll down to the blue box at the bottom of the page. In the left column at the bottom are the words "Technical Data Book." Click on that, it's all there. I have it saved to my files.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
36F/42R should be just fine. From dismounting and mounting the Bridgestone BattleWings, I can tell you 1st-hand that these tire carcasses are damn stiff, much more so than the sport and supersport bike tires I'm used to mounting.
I'm about 225-230, 6'1", and have had my 3-piece+ tankbag luggage loaded, and at no time did I feel the need for more tire pressure. Ive had zero cupping, and even wear across the tire tread.

Rocky, here's the link you requested: https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/home Open the link, scroll down to the blue box at the bottom of the page. In the left column at the bottom are the words "Technical Data Book." Click on that, it's all there. I have it saved to my files.

Thanks, I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
36/42 is what I've used in various bikes for years regardless of the tires.
The ADV tires call for a bit less. When you get into the dirt, many lower the pressure to provide better traction.
It's not rocket science but tires will wear well at the suggested pressure.
Some long distance riders bump the pressure for the road tires even more to get a bit more mileage out of the tires.
Either that or they were pumping sand when they told me that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts