StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in the market for new tires this winter/early spring time (i.e. tax return time) and am looking for some info on where to get the metzeler tourances?

I would prefer it be in the PDX area just to save myself some sales tax. Or would it be better just to order the tires online and then find somewhere to swap them out for me?:confused:

I already know I want the tourances, I just need to figure out the best way to get them on my bike :thumbup:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:mrgreen:

On another note, I will have a front and rear factory trail wing set that I would be willing to give away free to any stromtrooper. I wouldn't mount them on a bike again as they have served there time, but in case any one needs tires for something??

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Any dealer should be able to get them for you, of course. But they'll cost more than getting them online. On the other hand, they'll charge less to install them if you buy from them than if you bring them in from somewhere else. You kinda need to call around and find out what the costs will be. When I did my last tire change, I bought online and took the bike and the new tires to Beaverton Motorcycles to install. I think I paid $45 per tire for the install, but saved enough on the tire price to make up for it. I remember that a few years ago, D&S in Beaverton was often recommended as a good place to get tires done.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Chapparal was cheapest around X mas. Free shipping. 2 days to kentucky.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Check out Pro Caliber in Vancouver. They have great tire prices and reasonable install prices. With the amount of dealerships going under these days, I prefer to patronize locally.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So with the long awaited tax return I finally bought my tires!

I called up Pro Caliber here in Portland (used to be Portland Motorcycle) and got there price quote. I ended up buying them :thumbup:

I got the front for ~$119 and the rear for ~$144, which is cheaper than I've seen most places online!

Also they charged $29 per tire to bring in the wheels and tires off the bike, or $40 for the front and $44 for the rear if you bring the bike in. So since it's only $26 I figured I'll save myself the work.

Also ordered a new air filter, and 4 spark plugs. (I'll be doing that myself :yesnod:)

They were great and easy to work with, and willing to drop the price on everything to be competitive with the internet pricing. :mrgreen:

Overall I recommend going there if you guys need parts!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Really, Portland Motorcycle is now Pro-Caliber? That could only be a good thing. Might even make it worth going cross town for once in a while.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really, Portland Motorcycle is now Pro-Caliber? That could only be a good thing. Might even make it worth going cross town for once in a while.
Yup. Portland Motorcycle went bankrupt and out of business. So Pro Caliber bought the building and licenses.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I got mine from Motorcycle Superstore. No tax or shipping charges. They provided a list of local installers and shipped directly to the one I chose. It was all very slick. The process, not the tires.

Tourance Front Tire
Color- --, Size- 110/80VR-19
SKU#98817 Approved $133.99 1 .
Tourance Rear Tire
Color- --, Size- 150/70R-17
SKU#44250 Approved $162.99

Grand Total:
$296.98

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got mine from Motorcycle Superstore. No tax or shipping charges. They provided a list of local installers and shipped directly to the one I chose. It was all very slick. The process, not the tires.

Tourance Front Tire
Color- --, Size- 110/80VR-19
SKU#98817 Approved $133.99 1 .
Tourance Rear Tire
Color- --, Size- 150/70R-17
SKU#44250 Approved $162.99

Grand Total:
$296.98
That was my original plan. But when I heard Pro Calibers price I got excited since its even cheaper then Motorcycle Superstore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bent Lever in Vancouver

Next time call Bent Lever in Vancouver, a mile or two from Pro Caliber. They can get the same tires, from the same place, will sell them for less, and will install them for less. Nice small shop, easy to deal with. Just my experience.

Now, about Portland MC becoming Pro Caliber - when I stopped at Portland MC over the weekend it was totally empty, locked up, with a piece of paper in the window advertising Pro Caliber in Vancouver. The advertisement didn't say anything about Pro Caliber buying the PMC licenses or anything, just to try Pro Caliber over in Vancouver.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next time call Bent Lever in Vancouver, a mile or two from Pro Caliber. They can get the same tires, from the same place, will sell them for less, and will install them for less. Nice small shop, easy to deal with. Just my experience.

Now, about Portland MC becoming Pro Caliber - when I stopped at Portland MC over the weekend it was totally empty, locked up, with a piece of paper in the window advertising Pro Caliber in Vancouver. The advertisement didn't say anything about Pro Caliber buying the PMC licenses or anything, just to try Pro Caliber over in Vancouver.
I'll have to look into bent lever next time. Wish you would have found my this thread a couple weeks ago! Maybe I'll still call them for a price quote.

As far as Pro Caliber and Portland MC are concerned, what I said earlier was information given to me by the parts guy I talked to while ordering my parts. I'll have to investigate further. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It turns out pro caliber hasn't moved into the old portland mc building. It didn't sounds like they had immediate plans to do so soon either.

Had some issues with the service department, but they eventually worked me once I told them I would take my business else where. New tires are on and I'm happy!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The dealers get wholesale price levels from the big distributors based on their volume of purchases. My local small indie shop can make money matching the Superstore price due to this discount. It is always worth asking the local shop to match the mail order pricing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts