StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bit the bullet and had a Terry Adcox seat built this spring. It's a good seat, comfy, Terry and Debi are great to work with, yada yada...

BUT, I've run into a pretty big dealbreaker - my butt gets wet whenever I ride. See, I park in the street with no garage, and since I ride mostly every day, I don't usually cover the bike. (covering would mean at least one extra trip up/down the stairs to my apartment each time I want to ride.)

Now I expect a seat to be a little damp after a rain, but even when it's dry to the touch and hasn't rained in a few days, I can still end a ride with damp jeans. Right now I can wring out the seat like a sponge and get drips (and it hasn't rained in 3 days.)

I don't want to pile on Terry's seats here - I suspect that the other bucket seats with lots of stitching have similar permeability.

SO, what I want to know from the hive-mind here is this: has anyone successfully waterproofed a bucket-style seat so that it can be uncovered in the rain without absorbing loads of water? How did you do it?

Bonus question: I've got my seat off the bike and vertical sitting in the sun right now to dry. Any other tips for getting the water out of the inner foam?

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
See if Terry can make a seat cover, or you can invest in some Gor-Tex Aerostich riding pants. ;) Also if you have your panniers on the bike, why not just get a bike cover and then stuff in panniers after you take it off?

·
Administrator
13,821 Posts
I don't know if it actually waterproofs my Corbin seat or not but I use the Corbin leather cream on the seat. At work my bike sits outside on the centerstand (to save space.) When it rains I have a little puddle on my seat. I get the water off and hop on it and ride home.

It doesn't seem to me to get wet and water seems to bead up but I always wear my Goretex riding suit (Aerostitch Roadcrafter so it is possible I just don't notice it. I suspect that if the foam was really wet I would notice.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Beadrider might also get wet but easy to shake off and sits you above the wet seat. Ceramic beads are non- absorptive and improves the seat for distance riding plus much cooler.
There are some silicon water proofing sprays as well that should fill in the stitching.....ask Terry.

Reactions: Bajachief

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,440 Posts
I don't cover my Russell seats while riding in the rain. But the bike has a cover when parked outside. Never had an issue with water getting into the foam. Water is going to come in through the seams. Leaving the seat uncovered all the time is probably the difference. Consider trying SeamGrip sealer. This is what Aerostich sells for sealing zippers. I think it might be just the thing for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fearing the same, I opted for the Corbin without the extra stitching pattern. I have not had any water logging problems with the seat. I just condition it with a leather cleaner/conditioner after every ride in the rain. Try using the seam sealer, that should help.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
ebay is your friend

You should go to ebay and type in: motorcycle seat rain cover

There are lots of them, and that should take care of your problem.

Reactions: Vhawg and ocoas

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I use the half cover for my bike and it only covers the dash, tank and seat. Keeps all the important stuff dry. Oh and it's folds up very small and is inexpensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts