StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've started pulling apart the DL1000 2003 and draining the fluids so I can get the clutch basket done. After pouring the oil out of the catch into a container I inspected the left over residue. Now I know you can get a bit of metallic shimmer but this was more than that. There were several fragments/shavings in the bottom of the catch. Smaller than a finger nail clipping but still big enough to get that Oh Owe feeling. I'll be pulling the cover over the week end and get a better look but has anyone else with the chudder experienced this? It was vibrating pretty bad. Now so am I.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Is this the first time you have drained them all and are they steel bits? I know its a sick feeling from ten years of drag racing but sometimes not near as bad when you get in but sometimes big $$$$:surprise:.Good luck and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It's possible that the fragments came from the clutch assembly. That's why it chudders, more or less. It's unlikely that it's other moving parts though it does happen. Let us know what you find in there.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Had a all new 1978 GS1000 Suzuki .The chain drive fast one like V&H set new pro stock records with. Blew a clutch basket at red line and a chunk went through the rear of the motor in front of the spinning rear tire.:surprise: Hot oil ride and luck with me as went in grass and did not go over. Blew four more in two years! Some looked like a bomb had went off.So sick to open up each time.Machine shop made a 1100 basket fit after sold to a friend and it saw lots more strip use with that 1100 basket.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is this the catch under the rectangular oil screen, under the clutch basket?

Can't say for sure of course, but if the engine cover there has never been pulled and the screen never replaced/cleaned, it might just be residu from the manufacturing process. That's what the screen is for in the first place.

Quick test: are the bits steel or aluminium? You can tell with a magnet. Aluminium = probably good news, steel = probably bad news.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this the catch under the rectangular oil screen, under the clutch basket?

Can't say for sure of course, but if the engine cover there has never been pulled and the screen never replaced/cleaned, it might just be residu from the manufacturing process. That's what the screen is for in the first place.

Quick test: are the bits steel or aluminium? You can tell with a magnet. Aluminium = probably good news, steel = probably bad news.
It was the oil catch I put under the bike to drain the oil. I'll be pulling the cover tomorrow and will have a much better idea. I do what our family call "awfullizing" assuming the worst so to speak.....

Pretty sure they were aluminium but haven't taken a magnet to them yet. Once the cover is off I'll have a better idea as to how tools or crack a beer. Either way in for a penny in for a pound. Fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well boy is my face red! So like an idiot I left the drained oil sitting under the bike. When I was removing the crash bar I noticed the PO had cross threaded one of the bolts (most of you will already guess the the rest) Not wanting to forget I immediately got the tap and dye set and gently retapped the threads. I'm thinking the particles dropped from the back side of the hole onto the cover and slid into the oil. Duh. Talking to the wife about it and the "brain light" came on. I'll check thoroughly today when I pull the cover but it seems like the issue was well, me AGAIN. Cheers and thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Went through this on my SV when I got it. Aluminum from the clutch made the oil look metallic. Fingers from the clutch basket, plates rattling back and fourth wear the AL down.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is why you buy a Ducati. Well, this and the bike can play Jingle Bells as you bomb down the road (most Ducs have a dry clutch.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I 've had the same on my k2. After pulling out the side cover i saw the metal bits were sitting below the internal filter and they were many. I saw the clutch basket had a lot vertical scratches(!). Yes vertical, and i can not figure out how its is possible to have that kind of marks since the clutch is not moving in and out and there is nothing around to touch that surface! What i saw is that there is an other plug beside the drain plug, its an allen one and if you start draining the oil from that one , the first to come out are the particles that the internal filter catches. Still trying to understand how those scratches were made.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,187 Posts
I saw the clutch basket had a lot vertical scratches(!). Yes vertical, and i can not figure out how its is possible to have that kind of marks since the clutch is not moving in and out and there is nothing around to touch that surface!

Still trying to understand how those scratches were made.
Was this on the backside of the clutch basket? On the part of the aluminum basket that faces the riveted on steel gear?

These are usually not completely "vertical", but in a bit of an arc. If this is what you have, it will usually be caused by the wierd washer under the nut that holds the crankshaft gear onto the crank ( the gear that turns the clutch basket ). These can get bent, or the nut gets loose allowing them to move around. VERY common on SV 1000's, not so much on DL 1000's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was this on the backside of the clutch basket? On the part of the aluminum basket that faces the riveted on steel gear?

These are usually not completely "vertical", but in a bit of an arc. If this is what you have, it will usually be caused by the wierd washer under the nut that holds the crankshaft gear onto the crank ( the gear that turns the clutch basket ). These can get bent, or the nut gets loose allowing them to move around. VERY common on SV 1000's, not so much on DL 1000's.
They were at the outer side of the basket and completally vertical almost equally spreaded around it! Engine is still open at that side, so i will try to post a picture of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts