StromTrooper banner

Messed rear brake / abs with tire replacement --- help!

3541 Views 23 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Houstrom46*
Hi All,

Ive installed a few days ago the Michelin anake wilds, and ive noticed that now the rear ABS engages too early, almost instantly. No abs light is on.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

What have I've fucked up?

馃槗

Edit - i want to test the brake without the abs working, where do i find the abs fuse on a 2014 1000?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Did you remove the ABS sensor before removing the wheel ?

They are easily damaged if you don't but I would expect a fault ligh on if that is the issue.

Are you sure it is early,

I would expect less traction from your new tires so the wheel will lock up easier.

As the tire beds in that should improve a little but a knoby tire will lock easier on a hard surface than a tire with a less aggressive tread.

Reactions: Motor7 and Gert

Registered
Not sure on how you are testing the rear brake ABS timing while on a swingarm stand? As far as I know, the ABS should only cut in when it detects a noticeable difference in the rate while the front and rear wheels are spinning.

Premium Member
Sounds like the caliper bracket is not in the slot. Bike off and in neutral, get it rolling backwards and hit the rear brake, then go forward and hit it...if it clunks, it's not in the slot, and you will have to pull the axle to fix it.

Rolex is right, always remove the ABS pick up sensor when taking off the wheels, or damage can occur.

Registered
Don't know about your ABS light but is that a decal or tank pad? Where did you get it? Pretty cool, haven't seen one like that before.

Reactions: PlugnPlay

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you remove the ABS sensor before removing the wheel ?

They are easily damaged if you don't but I would expect a fault ligh on if that is the issue.

Are you sure it is early,

I would expect less traction from your new tires so the wheel will lock up easier.

As the tire beds in that should improve a little but a knoby tire will lock easier on a hard surface than a tire with a less aggressive tread.
So going to be honest here - No I didn't - and yes I wiggled it a bit to put back the wheel, removed the ABS sensor and it looks visually perfect without a scratch - also I really doubt you can break it without getting ABS warning light on , so not sure what is up.

The rear test should be - is the wheel actually locks for the ABS to engage - that way I will know its working as designed - how can I disable the ABS - what fuse is it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the caliper bracket is not in the slot. Bike off and in neutral, get it rolling backwards and hit the rear brake, then go forward and hit it...if it clunks, it's not in the slot, and you will have to pull the axle to fix it.

Rolex is right, always remove the ABS pick up sensor when taking off the wheels, or damage can occur.
Interesting - rolling the wheel on the stand and pressing the brake doesn't make a sound - looks solid - BUT WITH THIS SAID - i assume it might cause the feeling i have

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK UPDATE - Just tested the bike without the ABS - and guess what - the rear wheel locks like instantly - meaning the ABS is working as expected.
now to the other questions - how my new Michelin Anakes wild have so much less grip than my STOCK OEM 6K miles on them tires. Why would it lock so quicky meaning loosing grip?

Registered
OK UPDATE - Just tested the bike without the ABS - and guess what - the rear wheel locks like instantly - meaning the ABS is working as expected.
now to the other questions - how my new Michelin Anakes wild have so much less grip than my STOCK OEM 6K miles on them tires. Why would it lock so quicky meaning loosing grip?
are the new tires scrubbed in yet?

if not go do a couple hundred cautious miles

Registered
I鈥檝e got Shinko 705s on mine and when the rear ABS engages, it鈥檚 like I鈥榤 on ice. Almost zero braking effect. Quite frankly, I don鈥檛 see how the rear ABS on our bikes is any better than just locking it up.

Registered
You can also adjust the rear brake lever down some. (Adjustment is at the back of the lever, bottom of the rod that goes to the master cylinder). That MIGHT give you a bit more finesse on the rear brake.

Registered
When I first installed the Anakee Wilds on my 2018 DL1000, I had to turn off the traction control until they got broken in a bit. That lumpiness of the tread seemed to confuse the system; the indicator light was flashing on and off, especially at the "1" setting. Never had any traction issues with the tires, not even in the rain or on steel deck bridges. They were amazing on the MABDR.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts