StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I am sure most of you have read through the V-Strom the info at the calsci site. Thre isa lot of useful information and tips, etc. there.

One thing talked about is modifying the seat by putting a bit of memory foam in it.

Has anyone here tried doing this? Did it significantly improve comfort? I might be able to get a chunk of high-density memory foam large enough to do the whole seat for pretty cheap (maybe free). Would it make sense to do the whole seat? Any reason not to?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It will make the seat fit your butt like a glove if thats what you want, but it makes moving around a little more difficult .

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Before I got my Gelseat I hacked up my stocker a little. Cut a (roughly) 6" square out of the middle of the seat and replaced it with some memory foam. I liked the results, just wish a. I had done the entire area, b. that I had used some firmer foam for a base and c. that I was better at "seatcovers". The results (for me) were a step in the right direction...Not the answer.

My $150 (delivered to my door) Gel seat has been in use for almost two years now and I'm still a "happy camper".

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hey "Compared to What?"(interesting handle):
Was that a 1K seat you played with or a Weestrom? I had pondered using memory foam, but haven't had the guts. I have a 650. Feedback from quite a few gel seat owners(and former owners) was that the front of the seat didn't fit with the tank, it had gap-osis. What's your experiance? That is the other way I was looking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Worked just OK for me

Did mine with 2 pcs of 1" thick Calsci memory foam - extra firm

It's a smidge better than the stock seat and a cheap mod, but not an end to the search for a seat comfortable for more than 1.5 hours.

For my somewhat skinny butt (175#, 5'10", 31" inseam), the VStrom seat is just too narrow in the butt cheek department at the rear of the rider seat, and a bit too wide at the front. Can't fix those problems with memory foam alone. Shape & contour are the issues.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Nachodaddy said:
Hey "Compared to What?"(interesting handle):
From the Les McCann, Eddie Harris song of the same name. . . (and the name of our Catamaran)

Nachodaddy said:
Was that a 1K seat you played with or a Weestrom?
Yes it was (Made the Stealer swap it as part of the "deal").

Nachodaddy said:
I had pondered using memory foam, but haven't had the guts. I have a 650. Feedback from quite a few gel seat owners(and former owners) was that the front of the seat didn't fit with the tank, it had gap-osis. What's your experiance? That is the other way I was looking.
No gap-itis on mine.......Not sure if you can tell from this picture but I'd have returned it if it didn't "look right" on the bike.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Memory foam?

I for one, don't want my seat reminding me of where my ass has been.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts