StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I figure someone here may have encountered something similar...

My speedo gauge shows some bubbling/puddling of the paint on the card (is that the right term for the printed portion?)

It is limited to the area where the two screw pass through, and extends just about 1/4 inch around both screw heads. It looks like heat damage, but I don't know what might have gotten that hot in that location. Gauges work fine, back light works fine, motorcycle works fine.

Air flow might have been altered with a Madstad and Givi windscreem but these mods are pretty common, right?

Any thoughts? Should I worry, or just shrug and ride?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Givi shields come with a warning that this might happen. You need to park the bike so that the sun is not directing rays through the shield towards the gauge cluster. The shield acts like a magnifying glass with the rays concentrated on your gauge cluster.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Yes, and according to GreyWolf and others, the problem is that sunlight reflecting off the back of the screen (i.e. the bike is facing away from the sun) gets focused onto the dash.
I don't think that is necessarily the same problem, but if so there might be something useful here: http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,9010.0.html

Edit ot add: if you need to replace, might as well get corrected ones: http://www.raceratb.com/austin/car/buyGauges.htm (I have no relationship with this product, but plan on purchasing, myself, eventualy.)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
My solution;

(Thanks to a cool Daughter-in-law)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks

I think I've been reassured it's simply heat from the sun, and doesn't pose a threat to my bike's continued good health.

I'll try keeping out of sun from the wrong angle, but maybe replacement gauge faces would simply suffer the same fate?

Thanks for all your ideas.

Paul

·
Registered
576 Posts
Tint/Paint

I'm thinking of painting or tinting just the lower section of my Givi shield. Anyone had any luck with this?

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
I wonder if that would work.... The only time I really look though it is when I'm offroading..

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I don't know, but I am still thinking this is a manufacturing defect - crappy paint. I actually melted my dash with the Givi screen and stored it outside in NC and leave it outside at work in the sun almost every day for over a year here in FL. The gauge faces are pristine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts