StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing the scoot this morning and noticed that the throttle-side front fender mounting hole had enlarged itself pretty substantially. It looks like the mounting bolt got extremely hot and simply melted the plastic. Actually, it looks likes a pretty decent bead from an arc welder.

Does anyone have any ideas what might have happened? And how I might prevent it from occurring again after I replace it?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'll guess chemical rather than heat. Brake fluid and Loctite come to mind. Of course, heat is often used to soften Loctite.

Did that jog your memory or was there a previous owner? If new, it could be a dealer setup issue too. An '11 should be under warranty if you didn't do something there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Pat.

Yeah, I considered Loctite, but then talked myself out of it. Because (a) I use it often, but sparingly - I'd have used maybe 2 - 3 drops here; and (b) I had no idea it would be so volatile. I don't specifically recall getting Loctite on the piece, but it makes sense.

I'll do some experimentation once I get the !!!$200!!!! replacement fender. Thanks again.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Never use a thread locker on a bolt that holds on plastic. The bolt isn't stressed enough to need it and Loctite is murder on plastic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts