StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding down from SLC to surf and SCUBA and run for a week... anyone interested in some mealtime banter or a ride? I might take a full day and head up to The Rock Store, Mulholland twists, etc (very early morning launch).

Actually staying in Vegas for a night on the way, so dinner in Vegas on the 13th is possible as well...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm not a canyon carver but the Palomar Mtn Road loop is close and will cure your crave for corners.

The Palomar Mountain Loop | California Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

Also - Hwy 94 State Route 94, California - a great motorcycle road

I live about a mile from the "A" and can extend that 94 loop N of I-8 up to Julian, thru Ramona and back if you're interested.

Sounds like you may already know SD but willing to play tour guide/ride, eat.

Of course the weekdays are best - especially on Palomar.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
I 2nd+ the Palomar over the Rock store. Mullholand is a highly traveled road with lotsa LEO's. It's a residential thoroughfare.
Palomar during the week is quiet. Close by is Montezuma's grade into Borrego Springs. Make a blast down there for a Veggy Burrito at Jilberto's!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Good extension of that route. Forgot about Montezuma. Incredible views and eats at the bottom. Could extend that down S2 and up Banner Grade to Julian for apple pie. Hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info, gents, thanks...

The Palomar route sounds like a viable option and a great ride. I will know closer to the trip what day I am leaving open for a ride and will see if any of you are available. If the ride from Salt Lake City is "enough" (750 miles) for a few days I might consider a Thursday ride. My priority is 1~ water (scuba/surf), 2~ food 3~ running 4~ riding... Might be wrong priority for some but being a landlocked beachbum I have to quench the need first and formost.

I do know SD pretty well and have established an "eating ritual", of sorts. But I am always open to a meetup where ever someone might recommend. My days are to be filled with waterbattles of sorts so I will have an appetite! Filippi's is always on my list... The PB Shore House is not unattended either... (best omlets I have ever had, though it might have something to do with the view) So toss a few culinary invites my way and let's indulge! HINT: Seafood can never be wrong!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could certainly go for a nice thick shark steak, or some form of sea life bathed in butter, just don't crowd my plate with hush puppies or any other nonsense!

Between now and then let's get in touch to see if a meet up is do-able. I come from a long line of people who like to eat! I wouldn't want to let them down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That sounds like a great route! I'm new here, just got a new Strom as an upgrade from a KLR. But I'd love to join you guys on a weekday ride.
New here......but I just have to ask, since I am trying to decide between a V-Strom vs. a KLR 650.......IS the V-Strom an "upgrade" over the KLR?......or is it a mostly street vs. dirt sort of decision?

Thanks for any insights....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put the KLR-idea into a shoebox as soon as I rode the Strom... I love the idea of getting somewhere comfortably and then still being able to do a little dirt road navigation. I felt like I would be so tired from a long KLR ride that I wouldn't enjoy the destination... keep in mind I'm talking hundreds of miles from home destinations. If I were just jaunting around my area and wanted to do more serious offloading I would have considered the KLR because of its better off road reputation.

I used to ride motocross, so I know dirt... but now I just want to visit it, not live in it. Like most, 90% street - 10% dirt. This Strom is my favorite bike I've ever owned.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Stromartist,
don't forget to post what day you want to try to go play road riding instead of Surfing. We could meet at Pala Mission on Hwy76? Or some other decent jumping off point.

·
Registered
57 Posts
New here......but I just have to ask, since I am trying to decide between a V-Strom vs. a KLR 650.......IS the V-Strom an "upgrade" over the KLR?......or is it a mostly street vs. dirt sort of decision?

Thanks for any insights....
I think the Vstrom is a huge upgrade over the KLR. It's just a more refined bike all around. I felt like when I went camping or to offroad areas, the KLR was limited by it's weight. So I ended up sticking to trails/areas that the Vstrom could easily do also. The difference was that I suffered with a poor ride on road/fwy.

The KLR felt heavier too, the Vstrom is actually heavier, but it doesn't feel like it. The KLR is very top heavy, the Vstrom feels like the weight is lower.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll post closer to my launch date and will have a better idea of my scuba schedule. I would love to take a canyon/coast ride with a few locals... Glad you're out there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK! I'm hitting the road on Saturday morning... might stop over in LV for the night, or slide straight on through, we'll see as the day progresses. I have no problem with a 12 hour ride, but might do some sight seeing along the way and lose the highway for a bit!

I am leaving Wednesday WIDE open for a ride and meet up, hopefully that works for those that have warmly welcomed me for food and a ride. I won't be using any computers or even a smartphone (I am not a big fan of technology!) so let's maybe set up a meeting place/time HERE, and then any changes or other adjustments by phone!

Notacop, I'll pm you with a phone #.

Chris

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, just checked out the Palomar route!!! This is my preference! Gotta see first hand... Though I read that Mother's isn't open Mon-Wed (?) but the ride loks great!

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Palomar is nice but getting there from Long Beach is boring as it gets. I have a couple alternatives North in the San Gabriel mountains. Morning ride, lunche and back to the beach for the afternoon. You'll have you phone with you, no?
Glendora mountain road is about as good as Palomar without being so far away.
What is your base camp while you are here?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aaah, the ride up from SD is a stretch. I usually base outta Newport Beach, but this trip is a San Diego hub, and after the ride I think I'd rather be closer to "home". (I've got another 12 hour ride two days later so 3+ extra hours will make a dent in my ass-to-seat ratio I think.) The Palomar seems to fit pretty well with a half day ride.

I will be coming out to the 2013 Vstrom West Rally in July, can we fit it in then? Or better yet, are you attending?

C

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like a nice casual-speed Palomar tour is the verdict! TrophyHunter recommends we meet up at the Chevron, 215 E Via Rancho Pkwy, Escondido... Via Rancho & I-15... at 9:00 am. I'm looking forward to a safe and twisted ride. See you there

Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts