StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to give a plug to my mechanic. His name is Keith and he used to be a head mechanic for Suzuki and currently just works from home. He has a full shop in his garage and is certified by Suzuki to do work for them out of his garage. If I recall correctly, he also still builds race bikes for Suzuki Canada.

He is located near Keele and St.Clair and does work for le$$ than the dealerships, but everything is done to Suzuki specs. He also works on many other types of bikes from BMW to Ducati. Most importantly, he is honest and straightforward.

If you are interested in his services, feel free to PM me and I will give you his contact information.

Cheers and safe stromming this season!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replied back yesterday with the info you were looking for - check your PM's otherwise I'll send it again.
Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mechanic

:biggrinjester:
I just wanted to give a plug to my mechanic. His name is Keith and he used to be a head mechanic for Suzuki and currently just works from home. He has a full shop in his garage and is certified by Suzuki to do work for them out of his garage. If I recall correctly, he also still builds race bikes for Suzuki Canada.

He is located near Keele and St.Clair and does work for le$$ than the dealerships, but everything is done to Suzuki specs. He also works on many other types of bikes from BMW to Ducati. Most importantly, he is honest and straightforward.

If you are interested in his services, feel free to PM me and I will give you his contact information.

Cheers and safe stromming this season!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that was a timely bump - I was just going to write something here about Keith.

Last week my stator got fried. I dropped my bike off to Keith and he ordered the new stator for me from Suzuki and was going to do some other work on my bike too. The stator came and it turns out that Suzuki Canada changed their suppliers of the stators and the new stators don't fit properly and the connectors don't match up either. Suzuki Canada did not know that there was this issue until he brought it to their attention. I guess the stators on these bikes do not fail too often.

My bike is my daily rider since I don't have a car anymore, so I needed it fixed soon. He called around his contacts in the US and found a supplier that could express ship the part to him right away. Part was received less than 48 hours later and all is good with me picking up my bike in a few hours from writing this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Juan,

Sent you a PM. Need Keith's info.

Need to get some service done on my Vstrom 650.

Sounds like he is close to me.

Thanks

Dave Munro.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dave (and all),

I did reply to you shortly after you sent it - not sure why you aren't seeing it, because it's still in my sent mail.

That said, please feel free to tell him Shane referred you to him and he will take good care of you.

You will find his contact info here.

Have a great riding season!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the number I will give him a call.

I will have to check how I set the notifications. I thought I would get an email when you sent me PM.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Another competent mechanic

I have visited Cyclewerx,

Welcome to Cyclewerx

at 1660 Bloor Street West. I like the work they did,
which was tire-related and not very complicated.

When I used their services, the chief executive of the place
was actually a mechanic, and turned wrenches all the time.

I rode with Juan on May 4, and I know his advice to be sound,
and of course much more recent and local than my opinion.

Keith

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keith - you're right - Tom at Cyclewerx is a really good guy and very competent mechanic as well. I refer many a rider to him as well. They also do quite well on older or vintage bikes.

Until I found the mechanic (Keith) who is the subject of this thread, I used to visit Tom and his crew at Cyclewerx a few times a year. I would often just pop in to bring them coffee's or something, because I work around the corner in High Park. It's been a while since I stopped in there to say Hello, so thanks for reminding me to do so!

One of the reasons I started using Keith's services is that he used to be a head mechanic for a Suzuki dealership and knows our bikes inside out. He does all the work to factory spec and probably works on V-Stroms more than any other brand/model of bike. His rates are also much cheaper than any shop can manage, because his overhead is so much less. His turn around time of getting work done is typically much faster than any reasonable busy shop can achieve as well. Most importantly, Keith is a really good guy and I always like to support good people.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Keith is an amazing guy. He replaced my '03 engine and Freya runs better than ever.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rest In Peace my brother

Hi all,

Keith passed away suddenly on Halloween night. This is a big loss for his family, friends and the moto community.
For the last few years, he worked out of his garage which had a complete and dedicated bike shop, where he worked on all kinds of bikes, but none more than our V-Stroms. I know that he breathed new life into my bike on those many occasions I abused it and he would never let it leave his place without making sure it was a safe bike for me or my wife to be on.

Before that, he was the head mechanic of Hillcrest Suzuki and before that Cycle World. Many current mechanics either apprenticed under or worked with him. He built race bikes for Suzuki and Honda, loved BMW's and also taught physics at Georgian College.
For years (and still) he raced and tech'd superbikes in the island circuit and routinely won, while having the grace to know that the locals needed to win races to give the home crowds something to cheer about.

Before coming to Canada, he was an engineer for Honda Japan for about 10 years. He would be tasked with testing out the newest sport bikes on the track to give feedback to the design engineers before letting the bikes go to mass production. And before that he was in the British Navy. And before that....

He leaves behind many children and grandchildren and an amazing wife. He knew he had a very blessed life.
Above all, he was a really good person and most definitely my brother from another mother. You will be missed.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Damn. This is so sad. He was a terrific person and a hell of a mechanic.

I'm going to miss him.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What a sad ending to a thread I just happened on for a read.
Sure sounds like we have lost another MotorCycle person.

Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sad to see how this thread ended, after I was looking for suggestions since I need to get my stator and R/R replaced, and while I could do it myself, I live in a condo and don't really have anywhere to work.

Not to steal thunder, but I've gotten a few things done at Flying Squirrel at Dundas & Carlaw, great guys who do good work for fair prices. Flying Squirrel Motorcycle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts