StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't decide whether this should go here, or under Other Motorcycles. GW, please move it if appropriate.

I've decided there are probably more IBA rides in my future. That requires one of two things.

Option 1. -- $1,320
>> Order and have MCCruise installed (assuming I can find someone qualified to do so).

Option 2. -- $9,840 :yikes:
>> Wait until equity in the DL >= $0, then trade for an FJR.

What's the incremental cost associated with option 2?
(Total of payments for FJR - 36 months of payments for DL) +
Down payment on FJR =
(12000 - 6160) + 4000 = $9,840

Option 1 PROS: :yesnod:
1. Much less expensive than option 2.
2. The problem gets fixed now, not 18 months down the road.
3. I keep the svelte DL. No FJR weight penalty.

Option 2 PROS: :thumbup:
1. With ABS, shaft drive, better weather protection, more refinement, etc., the FJR is a more capable touring platform.
2. Minimized though the DL's fueling issues now are, the FJR should have none.

Option 1 is much less expensive, solves the problem now, and does not incur the FJR's additional weight. OTOH, the DL will still have no ABS, minimal weather protection, some fueling issues, and a chain.

Devil's advocate :devil_12: says: "You've never had ABS -- why do you need it now? And weather protection? You're going to get wet when it rains on either bike. The DL's fueling issues are now tolerable. Shaft drive? Modern chains require very little attention -- and they allow you to modify the bike's overall gearing relatively easily, something that's not really practical on shaft-driven bikes. Save your money. Go with option 1."

Option 2 puts us on a more capable, more refined mount. OTOH, it's a relatively pricey solution, the problem does not get fixed for 18 more months, and the FJR is considerably heavier than the DL.

Devil's advocate :devil_0: says, "Ahhh ...you can afford it. You've dealt with vibration your entire riding career; you can deal with it for 18 more months -- one riding season, really. The FJR should have NO fueling issues. And the extra weight is really only apparent when pushing the bike. Get what you really want. Go with option 2."

So... who wins this debate? Are there things I haven't thought of?

Please don't suggest any alternative that does not involve a true, automotive-style cruise control. I'm tired of numb/tingling hands. I have a Univeral Vista Cruise. It provides some relief, but it's a PITA unless you're always on a level road. Same with any other throttle lock. And the other CC alternatives (Audiovox, Rostra) appear to be inferior to (or at least, much more difficult to install than) the MCCruise product.

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The CCS100 and Rostra work fine except the CCS100 has trouble holding a speed much over 75mph. If you are going to have somebody else install it, what's the problem?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CCS100 and Rostra work fine except the CCS100 has trouble holding a speed much over 75mph. If you are going to have somebody else install it, what's the problem?
The expense associated with the MCCruise isn't really a big deal. And I'd rather have the installer intalling a product that's designed and built (or at least, customized) for the Vee, rather than a "generic" solution.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
If your really going to get into long distance touring, go w/ the FJR and buy a used cheap Wee down the road. While I love my new Glee, a true sport tourer she isn't. On the long rides and at highway speed, the extra weight is nice to have. Now if you still want access to gravel roads, upgrade the Wee.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Looks like you have had enough bikes to know there is more than one way to skin a cat. I too had vibration hand issues from the Vee but instead chose to address the underlying issues (clutch basket, A/F adjustments, etc) and now experience few problems in that area. Due to the early production Barkbusters, I also have no bar end weights, but have been using grip puppies. Cost was a fair amount of time, reasearch and about $600.
But if you're Jonesin for the FJR, get it and don't look back if it suits your needs better. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
My bad - I noticed you are on a Vee. That makes it a bit tougher choice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you can honestly afford an FJR, then $ should not be a consideration. That leaves weight, shaft drive vs. chain, fuel issues, and type of riding.

Weight--I think you get used to what you have. A lot of the police competitions prove that good riders with heavier bikes and higher centers of gravity than ours can still outride most folks on the street. If you get an FJR, then you will get used to the FJR weight at all speeds.

Shaft drive vs. chain--You have had a few bikes in the past. Have you ever changed out sprockets on any bike you've ever had? Even if you had, why would you do so on the V? Chain does have an advantage over shaft drive in this regard, but if you can't or won't take advantage of it, then it should not be a consideration. In that case, shaft drive wins.

Fuel issues--The FJR wins this one unless the V is now issue free, which it does not sound like it is.

Type of riding--If you get the FJR, offroad riding will be a thing of the past. It's size, weight, and the shaft drive itself will make that all but certain. Think realistically about how much long distance riding you will do. Many folks dream of it, plan for it, and never quite actually do it. If that isn't you, then the FJR again probably wins unless you just cannot live without offroad riding. That doesn't sound like the case though.

All things considered, I think you are closer to the FJR than the V.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you have had enough bikes to know there is more than one way to skin a cat. I too had vibration hand issues from the Vee but instead chose to address the underlying issues (clutch basket, A/F adjustments, etc) and now experience few problems in that area. Due to the early production Barkbusters, I also have no bar end weights, but have been using grip puppies. Cost was a fair amount of time, reasearch and about $600.
But if you're Jonesin for the FJR, get it and don't look back if it suits your needs better. :yesnod:
Truth be told, I can't recall owning a bike that didn't put my right hand to sleep (actually, the index and middle fingers, and thumb of my right hand) including an assortment of inline fours. I try not to grip tighter than necessary, I try to maintain a "neutral" wrist position ...nothing really works. It's not really the Vee, which definitely has some pretty smooth engine speed ranges (especially, 4000 to 4600 RPM or so on mine). "It's not you, it's me..."

I really do like the Vee, particularly now that I've got the PC-V and the fuel map tweaked. Yeah, it's a little tall for me, and the fueling still isn't perfect, but I really do enjoy it. It handles well, makes plenty of power for brisk two-up riding, and it's astonishingly comfortable. And at 525 lbs. wet, it's much lighter than anything else that would fit my needs.

Maybe I need to rent an FJR for a weekend...

But what if I like it? I mean, really like it... :headbang:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can honestly afford an FJR, then $ should not be a consideration. That leaves weight, shaft drive vs. chain, fuel issues, and type of riding.

Weight--I think you get used to what you have. A lot of the police competitions prove that good riders with heavier bikes and higher centers of gravity than ours can still outride most folks on the street. If you get an FJR, then you will get used to the FJR weight at all speeds.

Shaft drive vs. chain--You have had a few bikes in the past. Have you ever changed out sprockets on any bike you've ever had? Even if you had, why would you do so on the V? Chain does have an advantage over shaft drive in this regard, but if you can't or won't take advantage of it, then it should not be a consideration. In that case, shaft drive wins.

Fuel issues--The FJR wins this one unless the V is now issue free, which it does not sound like it is.

Type of riding--If you get the FJR, offroad riding will be a thing of the past. It's size, weight, and the shaft drive itself will make that all but certain. Think realistically about how much long distance riding you will do. Many folks dream of it, plan for it, and never quite actually do it. If that isn't you, then the FJR again probably wins unless you just cannot live without offroad riding. That doesn't sound like the case though.

All things considered, I think you are closer to the FJR than the V.
This sounds like wisdom to me. I have changed gearing on a chain-driven bike ...but only once, and that was probably 1976. The Vee's fueling is now acceptable, but not perfect; I have to use some caution below 4000 RPMs, and cannot blithely whack the throttle open below 3500 RPM without courting the ol' buck-and-snort. Pulling any load under 3000 RPM requires a delicate throttle hand.

Off road riding has thus far comprised about two, maybe three of the 3544 miles on the clock. I've got one SaddleSore 1000 under my belt, but even if I don't wind up doing much LD riding, which machine is better-suited to the 160-mile days in Colorado's mountains that are the bread and butter of my riding? Probably either.

Gee, I wish I could have both! (That I cannot afford...)

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
But what if I like it? I mean, really like it... :headbang:
I think you will really like it. I own an ST1300 and a Wee and they are both my favorite bike. :) Also on the Sport touring bike you can find pre=farkeled slightly used bikes pretty easily.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I doubt its really any better than say the audiovox for $200 delivered

Leaving you bags of money for seats etc. etc.

·
Registered
565 Posts
FWIW, I installed an Audiovox on my K7 Wee about 3 weeks ago (thanks to all who contributed to the descriptions and pictures of installations over the years - they're still being used!). I also installed a Rostra on my NT700 last year after looking at the McCruise. The installation on the Wee was much easier than the NT and an almost foolproof connection. I doubt that the McCruise - which really is a first rate product - is any more secure than the other two as far as Wee/Vee installation. Having a CC is great for long days on the slab.

That said, riding my Wee and NT are completely different experiences, and I have to believe that the Vee/FJR would show a similar and possibly greater difference; the NT is a heavier bike and much more protected from the wind and elements. That difference becomes more pronounced when I spend 12 - 15 hrs a day in the saddle. There must be a reason that the FJR featured so prominently in the top ten of the most recent IBR.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I would also consider how much of each kind of riding you will do, and then which bike will be the better all rounder for all your riding. One or two big rides per season? Keep the Vee. Gone every other weekend through the summer? Get the FJR or similar.As said, you could pick up a used Wee for the foothills.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Must be nice to own a bank. If I were looking for an LD bike right now I'd go for a well-broken-in ST1100/1300 or FJR. 50K miles or more on either would not trouble me a bit. This time of year prices on private owner used bikes are starting to drop and bargains can be had.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Must be nice to own a bank. If I were looking for an LD bike right now I'd go for a well-broken-in ST1100/1300 or FJR. 50K miles or more on either would not trouble me a bit. This time of year prices on private owner used bikes are starting to drop and bargains can be had.
Unfortunately, I do not own a bank. Also unfortunately, precious few well-broken-in ST1100/1300s or FJRs will have cruise control, which is really the entire point of this exercise.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
precious few well-broken-in ST1100/1300s or FJRs will have cruise control, which is really the entire point of this exercise.
A GL1500, then? Anything under 100K is just barely broken in. I think c/c was standard on anything but the base model. My '94 Aspencade had it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A GL1500, then? Anything under 100K is just barely broken in. I think c/c was standard on anything but the base model. My '94 Aspencade had it.
That's a thought, but it's the 112 extra pounds the FJR has relative to the Vee that really gives me pause about going that route. I don't have the GL's curb weight handy, but I know it would be much more.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since you don't own a bank and don't do you own work, listen up. The Rostra is a better performer than the McCruise and anybody used to working on bikes and can follow instructions can install one.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011-[-wee-strom-]/37860-rostra-cruise-control-fairing.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/mainten...onic-cruise-control-install-instructions.html
Something just feels a little off about going with a unit that the manufacturer specifically advises against using on a motorcycle, and will not support in that application. Just me, I guess, and I appreciate you trying to save me money. The more I think about it, the more I think I need to find a way to get some '13 FJR seat time -- tough to do, apparently; no one around here rents 'em -- and decide whether I want to be riding the Vee for the next several years, or wait 18 months, then trade for the Feejer.

·
38,103 Posts
I've put two CCS100s and one Rostra on V-Stroms. The question of support is all about the manufacturer not wanting to spend money to train support staff to help with relatively tiny customer base. It has nothing to do with the suitability of the devices. Support comes from people here and at VSRI who know the cruise controls and V-Stroms.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts