StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to put down the cash and get a McCruise cruise control because it it was the only one specifically designed to work with the V2. The instruction manual seemed idiot proof with lots of photos and detailed instructions on every bolt and connection. All was going well until I got to the bottom of page 17.

The last step on Page 17 is about placing the Electronic Throttle Servo. It's a black cylinder about the size of a paint spray can. The instructions say to place it in the small storage compartment under the rear of the seat. That's where I ran it not the problem. My California V2 has a big fat vapor recovery canister in there and there's no room left for the servo. :frown2:

Does anyone have any idea where I can go from here? Is there an alternative placement for the servo? Is there an alternative placement for the Vapor Recovery Canister? I hat to admit it but I'm stuck.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Remove the Vapor Recovery Canister and all associated crap. Does Cali require an emissions inspection on motorcycles?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
You might have to make a bracket for it and hang it inside the fairing on the left or right side. Look at the Rostra install threads for possible locations.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't believe there's any kind of visual inspection for bikes in Cali. That doesn't mean the Kommisars in Sakramento won't deem it necessary in the future, but there would certainly be a wailing and gnashing of teeth in the cruiser crowd should that happen.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I did not like just how much room the servo took up in the storage compartment and had planned on finding a better place for it but that never happened.

Under the side near the seat key had some promise ?

In your photo it looks like the canister could be moved further to the right of the bike leaving enough room for the servo ?

I fitted my servo with cable ties not the supplied Velcro, could you do the same with both the canister and the servo ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies! And also thanks to Frank and Tony Guymer at McCruise who were incredibly helpful and responsive. As shown in the photos attached, I ended up rotating the Vapor Recovery Canister to one side. That left a space that happened to be exactly the right size for the Throttle Servo. I retained one screw and rotated the canister on that. I used one of the Velcro strips that came with the McCruise unit to fix down the rest of the canister. There really isn't much room left so it's not going to come loose any time soon.

I had to disassemble the tail assembly and remove the brake light to slide the servo in from the rear since there was no room to monkey the cable under the seat lock with the VRC in place. But that actually made adjusting the servo easier too.

I mounted the servo on the right instead of the left which is called out in the instructions. The reason was that it would give me a bit extra length to play with on the adjuster cable. I had to cut a small notch in the front of the compartment to do it, but what the heck, no one is going to see it. And since the canister pretty much filled the space before, I'm not really going to miss it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. They were all much appreciated.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Did you need a shoe horn to get it in there? Nice job!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. Once I rotated the vapor canister it fit like a glove. No extra room but no squeezing either.

Cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had no idea Kali required extra bs on newer model motorcycles. Silly.
Good job making it work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts