StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If things go well I may soon be the owner of a lightly used 2013 vstrom 650. I've been commuting about 25 miles each way daily mostly on highways with a 2007 ninja 250r and I've learned a lot. The poor 250 needs a rest.

Weekend before last a dealer close to me hosted a suzuki demo day where I rode a vstrom 650, an sv650 then a vstrom 1000. Next day I went back and rode the vstrom 650 again just to make sure. The new vstrom 650 fit me very well. Now I really loved the 1000 but absolutely don't love the big drop in mpg over the 650. Hopefully back soon...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good luck on that .

The 2013 DL650 is a very good bike , smooth engine with enough power to put a grin on your face when pushed hard .

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
welcome, how lucky you are to find a Suzuki demo day, that never seems to happen near me. good luck with the purchase, they are great bikes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I rode the same three models during the same weekend, plus a couple more. All were really great rides. I don't think you can go wrong on a V-Strom of either size. Where are you located? DD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We actually just sold our 2007 Ninja 250 (actually my wife's bike but I rode it a lot!!) Tons of fun per pound but you will really appreciate the Vstrom, especially on the freeway. I also won't miss having to pull and clean the carbs when those teeny tiny jets get all gummed up!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Welcome.

Since you are buying from a dealer, check to see that the stator recall has been done. I think by law a dealer, unlike a private owner, must do it before selling. They get paid by the factory for the work, so don't let 'em add to the price because of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah wasn't a dealer but a private transaction.

Went this afternoon. Things okay but.....nasty nasty rattle about 5400rpm. Rode it a quick 3 times to narrow it down. Thankfully the guy's son found mention of givi crash bars rattling at about 5400rpm, so I just decided to buy it. Took it home then dropped one side of the crash bars and the rattle is gone!

So yeah it's nice...under 3k miles, givi crash bars, handlebar risers (totally awesome) and center stand!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday I had ridden an nc700x as there are tons of 2015 floor models still out there. Brand new 5k out the door before taxes, a used one with upgrades and 385 miles for 4200. Bike was okay but could not figure out how to make it accelerate, the type of acceleration needed to pass some lamer going 35 in a 45 in traffic. Flicking the throttle? Nothing. Quick drop gear and throttle? Nope. How about dropping 2 gears? Nada.

Braking was frankly atrocious, worse and cheaper feel than my 2007 ninja 250. I really had wanted to like that bike too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I test rode a nc700x last year. Liked it, but it just didn't feel like what I wanted. I don't remember it being all that slow, but then I didn't push it hard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for asking! Yeah it's a nice bike. I finally resolved a rattle where the crash bars join in front of the radiator and it's nice and quiet.

Parking, etc the little gray/silver ninja 250 could easily go unnoticed. Not so much now. For just commuting and running around it might be too nice and shiny of a bike. Just have to up my invisibility game!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts