StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently riding a Suzuki C50T, but it just doesn't "fit" I don't think, so now I'm looking at potentially switching to a V-Strom. I found a used V-Strom that I think I could get into pretty easily, but the problem is that I am awful when it comes to determine if a vehicle is worth the price.

It's an '05 with about 13,500 miles and asking price is about $4,200. Is this a decent price for such a bike? Am I going to have an issue with the number of miles? It seems high to me, but that's just because I bought my C50 new and now only have 4,000.

Anything to look for with the bike while on the showroom floor? I'm mechanically challenged, so don't get too complex.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News summer price guide says $4270 for an 05 650. I'm assuming you are looking at a 650. The mileage is fine. It's less than 5k a year, which I consider low for a vstrom. I just sold my 08 BMW R1200RT with 24k on it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
These things absorb miles very well. It may be time for a valve lash check and possibly the chain but if it has had regular maintenance done it should be a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I plan to test ride the used one on Saturday, then if I'm still liking it, think about new or used. First things first though...wait for Saturday.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It's a heck of a lot better than any cruiser if you can get on it. These are the "Humvees" of the bike world, on road or moderate off road, they do it all. But keep in mind they don't blow the doors off a full sport bike, nor do they eat motocrossers, but you don't take a 'Busa off road. They seem to be pretty much bullet proof, the only real problems seem to be from people trying to get more power and not knowing exactly how to go about it. I like mine (DL 1000) way more than any other bike I've ever had, plus you don't have to take all day to polish chrome---you just ride it!!!!!!! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
221 Posts
At 13,500 miles, a Wee is just about broken in right!
+1 to that. Mine's just ticked over 20000km, runs sweet. Plus great mileage, 55.6 US MPG average over 20000km (Had a rainy day, spent it with excel)

·
Registered
239 Posts
mileage

I have put on 10k miles on my 07 Wee in just over a year:). Like the above posts, an 05 with those miles is pretty good. Check the chain, tires, and body work for signs of drops, ect. Take a look at the sight glass and note the color of the oil. Does it have any farkles added? Take a buddy that can help you check the bike over. If the bike speaks to you, you can't go wrong with a Wee:cool: Good luck!

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you do get a Strom I predict you will be riding it a lot more than you did the cruiser. It is the jack of all motorcycle trades--just run it and don't worry about it. You will soon be introduced to 'handling'! What a concept!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Volusia to DL650 via Goldwing

I wish I went your route.

I bought a new Volusia (renamed later to C50) back in 03, rode it for 36K miles and liked the ride, but I thought it was too noisy and wanted to get something more refined for longer trips. I then bought a used Goldwing (05 GL1800).

After 10K miles thought the GL was too heavy and bulky for my taste so I sold it without much of a loss (because I bought it used). I went to a dl650 and it has been great! I wish I did what you are doing now an completely skipped over the Goldwing!

In summary:

Volusia - too small
Goldwing - too big
DL650 - Just Right!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
132 Posts
In summary:

Volusia - too small
Goldwing - too big
DL650 - Just Right!
Heh, you should change your board name to Goldilocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts