StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a girl I really like, but she's a little on the 'chunky' side. (God, I hope she doesn't read this forum!)

I'm curious as to the maximum weight I can safely carry on the Strom. She's all gung-ho about going riding with me. But I haven't had the gumption to ask her how much she weighs yet, but I would estimate at least 160. I'm 230. That's a total of 390. Add in a Givi top case filled with stuff and I'm sure we're close to 450 with riding gear on.

Am I going to crush the rear shock? Also, I'm assuming I should dial it all the way up to max preload. Where should I set the front pre-load to?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance for not telling me to find skinnier women!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Oh my Heavens. Tough question and darned if you don't and darned if you do. But you gotta be honest with her so try this suggestion. For safety's sake, you need to know her true weight( not a guesstimate ) so you can dial in the suspension properly and also know how much weight you have to handle when riding. You don't want to crash because of an unknown weight affecting the bike. I am sure the rear preload will be at the max regardless. Lotsa luck and duck if necessary. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My DL1000 with my 230lbs on, plus my wife's 150lbs, plus 3 GIVI luggage (E52, 2xE41) loaded with gear for a total of 460+ lbs on a 4100KMs trip = No problems. Lots of power, good handling, even at higway speeds.

Now, if you're on a Wee, you might have to downshift more but I honestly don't see a problem.

Cheers

V.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
453.5 lb over bare bike. http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/VStrom05B.pdf#search='dl650%20060' has the specs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can tell you with some certainty that you wont have an issue. I weight 245 and my wife is about 135. We've done several 600+ mile trips this summer loaded to the gills (saddlebags full, trunk full, and tank bag...full) No issues what so ever. Plenty of power and the bike handles very well slow or at speed.

M

·
0 Posts
My V doesn't miss a beat with my bulk (260lbs)+my kid (110lbs)+20lbs of gear. Riding with the wife on her Burgman 400 keeping speeds under 80mph sees me getting 45-50mpg average, even with this load. We've done numerous multi-day rides this summer and I can't image better machine for the job.
M

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I just realized there was no statement of 650 v. 1000. The 650 is actually rated to carry more weight. It has about the same gross weight rating while weighing less itself.

J

·
0 Posts
jacking up the preload will help a lot, but you're going to be close. if the relationship lasts, a suspension upgrade is in your future. that or a goldwing. :)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
greywolf said:
I just realized there was no statement of 650 v. 1000. The 650 is actually rated to carry more weight. It has about the same gross weight rating while weighing less itself.
By about 8 pounds! That's a really big bag of beef jerky :lol:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe that it has a maximum all up weight of 450 kg, thats 990 lb. This includes the bike, fuel, oil, water, extras, rider, passenger and luggage. So you should be fine.

I have ridden my previous bike (GS1200SS) fully laden, and at slightly over the maximum weight, on a very windy mountainous road. The bike handled it OK, but it felt a bit unstable on some of the corners when the road surface was less than smooth.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You'll be fine. Don't worry.

Want an overloaded bike? I once read on a scooter forum about a guy and his wife who went camping on a Honda Aero 80cc two-stroke. You've got to be kidding me! He was complaining about how slow and uncomfortable it was. Well, what do you think, chumley??!

If I was trying to pound nails with bananas, would I complain about the mess it was making? :lol:

Happy trails!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Please remember - if she does read this column, even my magical powers will not be enough to save you. :lol:

From my manual for my 06 DL650.

Dry weight = 418 lbs
Gross weight + bike, gas, gear farkles and rider / passenger = 926 lbs.

Up here in 51st state -1 imp gal ~ 8.2 lbs so 4.8 imp gal tank is additional 41 lbs.

My farkles (GIVi's & mounts, ctr stand, tank bag (loaded) add up to approx 52 lbs.

I'm 6-4" and 260 lbs (I carry a PERFT - Personal Extended Range Fuel Tank) aorund my middle and have lost about 32 lbs so far. If you do the math -you'll see I ride alone.! :(

Seriously though, the gross weight is a good indicator since it's not just weight, it's where the ctr of gravity is. Its a tall bike to begin with, throw me on top and one can only imagine where the COG really is. that's why I keep more or less to the limtis of speed and common sense - especailly over gravel and trails whihc I do some of.

Safe riding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
160 might be chunky if she's 5 foot even. My wife is 200ish, I'm 260. We're going to try 2 up this weekend. It's been a number of years, and a good number of personal pounds since I last rode 2 up. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
xrochester,

It's pretty hard to make an informed assessment. Please post pics of girl. :D

Shouldn't be a problem though. :)

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I had a damm amazon on the back of my Wee, I'm 5'7" 160 (on a good day) and she was like 5'9" with looong legs and outweighed me and the Strom had no problems hauling us around. You want to see over loaded, married couple on a small cruiser and they both weigh in excess of 250lbs. By small all I'll say is 850cc or less :oops:

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Me- 290
wife- 145
DL650- no problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jackpiner57 said:
xrochester,

It's pretty hard to make an informed assessment. Please post pics of girl. :D

Shouldn't be a problem though. :)
Actually, I did take some pics. Unfortunately though, they're not the kind I can share on this forum :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts