StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 650 Adventure, Redlines at 10,000. The motor spins up fast and like to rev when I run it. What would the maximum safe sustained engine RPM be for interstate running regardless of MPH. This is all new to me, My Harley would run at 3500 all day and redlined at 5900. Engine is almost broke in and will be hitting the interstate soon.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
2013 650 Adventure, Redlines at 10,000. The motor spins up fast and like to rev when I run it. What would the maximum safe sustained engine RPM be for interstate running regardless of MPH. This is all new to me, My Harley would run at 3500 all day and redlined at 5900. Engine is almost broke in and will be hitting the interstate soon.
Don't worry, it's a completely different animal, you can cruise all day at 90 mph and it doesn't mind revving high.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
It lives and thrives above 4500, so that is where it likes to be and was designed to run.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A good percentage of the miles on my '07 were done at 6000rpm, a true 75mph, in western states. 8000rpm day after day is probably done easily though it will use a lot of fuel to push aside the atmosphere and blow a lot of oil out the breathers.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,349 Posts
Put some duct tape over the tachometer.

What you don't know won't hurt you!

Our '04 has spent several tankfuls of fuel at over 6000 rpm continuous. It doesn't even blow oil into the air box doing that rpm for hours on end.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
The rule of thumb used to be that two third of red line should be maximum cruising rpm. That would be 6600 rpms on the Glee. I think it was just a guideline and not scientifically decided.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The rule of thumb used to be that two third of red line should be maximum cruising rpm. That would be 6600 rpms on the Glee. I think it was just a guideline and not scientifically decided.
I received the same advise many years ago by a very skilled and highly respected mechanic.
I've stuck to it since and have not experienced anything or seen/hear any evidence to make me change that practices.

·
Registered
43 Posts
6600 RPM in 6th puts me over 100mph most likely. My 2013 wee averages 5500 RPM on the freeway and Im cruising at ~77mph. Ive been to just over 6k RPM, and cruising at 6600 would be nuts to me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
high speed

Look at it this way over 75 mph you will be looking at a ticket for sure with the exception of a couple of states. So the Wee strom will easily do that all day everyday.

Respectfully, Doug

·
Administrator
13,567 Posts
A few years ago on my 2006 DL650 I had get-home-itis when I was in Utah. I made it home in 2.5 days.. about 3,200 km or about 2,000 miles. Out west I normally went around 90 mph (speed limit was 80 mph.) I think that had me revving at about 7,000 rpm. The bike had about 115,500 miles at when I left Utah.

It ran smooth as ever, in spite of the temperatures being around 100°F, and needed a top-up of oil at the end of each day.

These things LOVE to rev!

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
6600 RPM in 6th puts me over 100mph most likely. My 2013 wee averages 5500 RPM on the freeway and Im cruising at ~77mph. Ive been to just over 6k RPM, and cruising at 6600 would be nuts to me.
Don't believe the speedo, it's optimistic. 6600 is around 85mph, actual.

·
38,048 Posts
6600 RPM in 6th puts me over 100mph most likely. My 2013 wee averages 5500 RPM on the freeway and Im cruising at ~77mph.
Remember the speedo is optimistic. 6000rpm on a Wee or Glee is an indicated 82mph and a real 75mph. 6600rpm would be an indicated 89.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Remember the speedo is optimistic. 6000rpm on a Wee or Glee is an indicated 82mph and a real 75mph. 6600rpm would be an indicated 89.
Thanks for the info. This is my first new bike (all my others have been used older models). Ive been reading up the threads for fixing the speedo and have seen both the SpeedoDRD and SpeedoHealer. Which would you recommend for ease of install and value? Leaning towards the SpeedoDRD, but not sure.

My bike has a 4year warranty, so I dont want to go and screw that up by installing a 16t up front, though that would probably be the way Id go.

·
38,048 Posts
A 16T front will not hurt the warranty. Any problem would have to be caused by the sprocket to do that. I chose the SpeedoDRD because it is smaller and less expensive than the speedo healer.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats about what I have figured out, It don't appear to matter. At 4500 RPM I can hardly tell the motor is running, 6 to 7 k all day on the highway. Me and this bike are getting to know each other. Gonna be fun!

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is my first new bike (all my others have been used older models). Ive been reading up the threads for fixing the speedo and have seen both the SpeedoDRD and SpeedoHealer. Which would you recommend for ease of install and value? Leaning towards the SpeedoDRD, but not sure.

My bike has a 4year warranty, so I dont want to go and screw that up by installing a 16t up front, though that would probably be the way Id go.
There is no 4 year warranty. You might have a 4 year Protection Plan or whatever they call your prepaid repair contract. You need to read the fine print in that contract. It probably says nothing about mods like a sprocket change, but read it to be sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is one of those threads I wish I had caught back when you originally posted it. I am always thinking about hp, weight, rpm, redlines, etc. I wasn't great at math in school but I love figuring out all aspects of various degrees of engine speed and output and so forth. It is hard to fathom that 6,000 rpm is 100 turns per second. The redline on my 2013 Vstrom 650 is 10k, or 166.6 turns per second with pistons and rods flying around in the engine case. it used to really bug me running engines at such a high rpm coming from a cruiser. But, having now owned several bikes of all kinds I'm more comfortable not thinking about the physics of it all and just going with whatever the bike (engine) allows. The engineering department allows for a margin of error on all bikes. If this bike redlines at 10k, it probably won't show signs of stress until 12k which the computer will not let you reach. I was surprised to learn my vespa would sit at 6k when accelerating and, if I held the throttle it would go up from there.
While I prefer the thumpy-thump of my Suzuki DR650 (single cylinder), the vstrom engine came from the sv650 which is a go fast bike. The real "meat" of the hp and torque is above 5k and 7k is when you start to hear that terrific intake growl. As long as I'm not looking of optimum mpg (anything below say 4k and 5k) this engine cannot be destroyed. Keep the oil changed, perform all service work and you can wring its neck all day long.
I recently went from my home in Vero Beach to Yeehaw junction, down 441 to Okeechobee and back over to Fort Pierce for lunch. I was not below 6k rpm the whole trip (indicated 84mph and a real 80mph). At times I was in 4th and 5th at 9k. There really isn't much left in hp or torque after that but I can tell you the bike was TOTALLY happy to perform like this. Also, when up in the mountains, we will typically ride 200 miles per day in the twisties. I keep it around 6k in any gear so that engine braking and engine response is ready at any time. Ride it like a young woman and treat it like your wife of 40 years (oil changes, etc.) and the bike/ engine will only ask for more.

·
Registered
15,249 Posts
When I took a Keith Code Super Bike School a zillion years ago, he said change gears at red line. So, if you wanna go like stink do that and watch your mirrors. Otherwise the bike will run all day at a bit less than red line. But, where can you do dat legally?
What are you really asking? If you like the engine to sing, down shift and pass people then go back to 6th and cruise.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I come from a long line of Harleys too and I'll tell you this high-revving little beast took some getting used to, but now I let 'er rip. 7-8000, even 9000 won't hurt it a bit. Problem is when I get back on the Harley, I find myself winding it out a but too much, but it's happy 4-5000 rpm, near it's redline too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My first multi cylinder bike a dohc Honda 750 would foul the plugs if I rode much below 2,000 rpm, in looking into I found that if I keep it below redline, and I keep up with regular maintenance that sustained high rpm running is totally within the design specs for the engine.

I have also noticed an increase in oil consumption at higher rpms,

So I check my oil regularly.

On most modern well cared for bikes the engine will outlast the chassis and electrical systems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts