StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically fill my tank when I get to around 180 miles on my trip meter, though I've occasionally stretched it to 200 miles. My current MPG is usually 45-50. Has anyone ever seen how far they can go before the tank runs completely dry?

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
Don't ever wanna run dry, but with similar mileage and MPG I typically have another 1.5 gallons left. Reasonable safe to assume to have 250/270 miles before totally dry.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think you mean Total gallon X mpg = range.

everybody might not be aware that the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel that it sits in. so if you are getting down to the bottom of the tank you can run out of cooling medium and the fuel pump can over heat. and they are expensive.

I am more careful about going too far ever since the time when I planned to gas up at Crown King AZ and the electric power was out. I rode until I completely ran out of gas and had to push the bike several miles.

A couple times I have gassed up and found that I had used a lot more gas than normal. A strong head wind can eat a lot of gas.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do you take it down to both flashing squares? How much fuel does it hold after 180? I get 250 easily and it takes about 4.6 gallons. I ride pretty gently so 53 mpg.or so unless it is cold out. I have not had it dry and was discouraged here to do that. Fuel cools the pump so I quit testing the limits. kfh000 2013 btw

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've only had the bike (2012 650) for 3 months and have stretched it to 230 but only because I forgot to refuel earlier.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel flowing through it. If the fuel is not flowing through it, the engine is not running.
And yes, I meant capacityXmpg=range.
I rode home one day after filling up. I didn't stop until I pulled into my garage. 247 miles. Turned the bike around the next morning to go to work and the bike wouldn't start. It was out of gas. My driveway points down hill.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I don't get running the tank down until you are almost/are out. Why do that? I watch my gauge and have a feel for range. I watch what is coming ahead on my route and figure if I can make it to a place where gas is available, using my Zumo. Seems like a useless exercise. Riding mountain trails is different though, and you better know where gas is available, or carry extra fuel in a can. Just my opinion though, others obviously vary.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I have managed to refill at around 3/4 of a tank with a projected range of 600k's, uphill as well. There are some wonderful winding roads around here which are really dangerous at high speeds, so long k's at mostly 80kph without making an effort to hypermile is possible.

I've managed that a few times on my 2012 but you have to be really smooth on the throttle and keep speeds down to do it.
440k's is more realistic (no matter what).

·
Registered
29 Posts
400km/250 miles is the MAX. This is with an accurate speedo. Stock speedo will read 5% more.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
50 miles per square was my rule of thumb. Why run it down? It gets lighter! To be honest I always felt it ran better full of fuel. I have a lot of superstitions like that. I think my car runs better after a car wash. Somehow smoother and quieter.

One of these:

and one of these:

And then you can know for sure! (HInt fill the MSR bottle with fuel before testing range(be sure to take it with you))

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The answer changes, depending on time of year, but, usually, the answer, for me, is about 275 miles. I fill up after the last bar has been blinking for 20-30 miles.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I usually fill around 250 maybe 260. The only time I ever get down to 200 is cold temperatures or prolonged highway speeds. And I was advised the last bar never stops blinking all the way to dry..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts