StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a front brake master cylender bleed screw? If there is I can't find it!

2011 Vstrom 650 abs

Sorry about my spelling!

:thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There is none.

·
Registered
392 Posts
bleed screw

No point in having a bleed screw on the master cylinder, take the cover loose and it bleeds itself. This assumes you're trying to bleed the brakes in reverse with a pump at the wheel, otherwise you're pushing fluid with the master, so you don't want to bleed at the master.

Bill H.

·
38,103 Posts
There is no need to loosen the cover to let air out. It's a bad idea in fact. It won't help the process and will speed the absorption of moisture into the fluid. There is a replacement banjo bolt available with a bleed screw to handle stubborn cases.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Wrap a rag around the banjo bolt, crack it open, and squeeze the lever, tighten the bolt when bubbles stop. Or push the brake pads & pistons all the way back into the caliper, then pump the lever until it is firm and the air might be out. Or strap the lever down to the grip and let it sit overnight. As always, be very careful of brake fluid drips that will remove paint.

·
Registered
392 Posts
brake fluid

While brake fluid is indeed hydroscopic (sucks water out of the air) it's not to the point that opening the cover while the brake fluid is bled will make any difference. The crush washers on the banjo bolts have a finite life span, tightening and loosening them repeadedly will cause them to leak. Also somewhat difficult to add more brake fluid without opening the cover ;)

Most manuals call for opening the cover on the brake to bleed the brakes, apparently the company that makes these things doesn't know how to work on them?

Bill H.

·
38,103 Posts
Most manuals call for opening the cover on the brake to bleed the brakes, apparently the company that makes these things doesn't know how to work on them?
The Suzuki manual specifies replacing the cover as soon as the fluid is topped off before starting the next round of bleeding. I do find that excessive. Cover off or on makes no difference as to the movement of air out of the line. The action required to allow an air bubble to escape on its own is to tie back the lever. That opens the passage of fluid between the line and the reservoir. Taking the cover off does not. Keeping the lever tied back overnight to let bubbles migrate is a good idea. Leaving the cover off overnight is a bad idea. That's what I was addressing.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
As noted above, there isn't but there is this: SVRacingParts.com
I did install the same banjo bleeder from Blair at SV Racing ($19.95 if I recall correctly?). It installs below the front brake master at the top of the brake line. Brake bleeding is tedious and so any tricks such as Mity Vac are welcome and for me the banjo bleeder did "seem" to speed up the bleeding process. There are many important steps in doing a proper bleed as others have noted in detail. I am not a mechanic but I did follow the advice of many who seem to be in the know and I follow directions diligently while I am learning.

The bottom line is a proper bleed takes practice. If the lever is mushy afterwards then your work isn't done. Zip tie the lever over night after a good bleed did work for me to stiffen the lever feel properly. When you get that firm feel combined with a good brake response on a test ride, then you know your hard work paid off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts