StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Commerce Insurance 'coverage selections page' in the mail and am taken aback by the total premium for one year of $586.00!

If you're in Massachusetts, too, is that what you're forking out for a year's coverage?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
That's outrageous, Austin. Check with Progressive. My premium was around $230. Maybe they think you're 18! :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I just got my Commerce Insurance 'coverage selections page' in the mail and am taken aback by the total premium for one year of $586.00!

If you're in Massachusetts, too, is that what you're forking out for a year's coverage?
I'm paying twice that, Aus, same company.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Take another look at your coverages and see what you are actually buying. In some cases you might be buying a coverage you don't need--if you have great health insurance, do you really need to buy it again on your vehicle policies?* If you never carry a passenger, do you need coverage for that? If you can afford to take a loss, don't buy that coverage. Increase your deductibles if you can afford it. If the bike is paid off and you can afford to replace it, drop the collision and comprehensive coverages. If the bike goes into storage for the winter, drop all coverages except comp during the storage period (check with your lender, though).

And, see if there is coverage that might be wise to add. If you have a fairly substantial net worth, take a look at umbrella liability coverage and get enough vehicle liability coverage just up to the minimum required for the umbrella policy...often $500k.

Can you qualify for any policy discounts--multiple policies with the same company, garaged vehicle, limited miles each year, MSF training, etc.

Try dialing for dollars. Call various insurance companies and ask about insuring either each item (home, car, bike, umbrella, etc.) or put them all together in a package. Amica is one that gets consistently high marks from the readers of "Consumer Reports"; USAA also, if you qualify. These may farm out the motorcycle coverage in certain states, but check the rates.

Vehicle insurance coverage definitions:
Car Insurance Coverage Definitions | CarInsurance.com
Car Insurance Coverage Options—Allstate

*The new health insurance coverages starting January 1 changes a lot of things. It might be cheaper to drop vehicle injury coverage and upgrade health insurance to a "Gold" or "Platinum" level plan--the info will be available October 1 on each state's health insurance Marketplace. We won't know until we check.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
As far as motorcycle specific coverage in Massachusetts, I know exactly what I'm buying and why. This doc does translate to other states, but was written by a Mass insurance agent who rides:

Motorcycle Coverage Info

·
Registered
210 Posts
I pay $167 from Commerce but have no collision or comprehensive or any speeding tickets. I do have almost all the limits at 100000/300000 including the optional stuff.

Oh yeah, I live in Western Ma. so our rates are lower than some.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANK YOU!!!! I really appreciate all of your input! I've been dealing with the same insurance broker for over thirty years and I'm beginning to think that they are NOT treating me as fairly as they can. Time to shop around for better home, car and business insurance, too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mass is crazy for insurance prices.
Part of it is where in the state you live, hell what town even matters. Just outisde of Boston, moved literally 4 miles further north & my rate nearly doubled. I got hit with "ghetto tax".

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
471 Posts
I saved $200.00 instantly by going from my local Ins agency to Harley Davidson Ins. My local agent had Progressive, Harley Davidson has Progressive Direct.....Just go on the HD website and click on HD Ins...I like the extra 200 in my pocket.........:thumbup:...............TD

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah I'm right in that range two, but I do have an accident and a speeding ticket on my record... Plus I get nailed for living in Worcester...

MA Insurance is the most convoluted mess I've ever seen. :headbang:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I saved $200.00 instantly by going from my local Ins agency to Harley Davidson Ins. My local agent had Progressive, Harley Davidson has Progressive Direct.....Just go on the HD website and click on HD Ins...I like the extra 200 in my pocket.........:thumbup:...............TD
I could get my insurance bill down by close to $1,000, but I wouldn't be covered for anything but state compulsory. In this state, you're actually buying half a dozen types of coverage on your policy.

Anybody really interested in understanding should sit down with their policy and the Insurance 101 document from Lister Insurance.

MA Insurance 101

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Tom

I think your high, I will check but believe I have the VEE with collision and a TW200 with 300k liability for under $400

Were you naughty ?

Also NEVA 14 I am looking at North Adams and could use help

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Tom

I think your high, I will check but believe I have the VEE with collision and a TW200 with 300k liability for under $400

Were you naughty ?

I live near Boston. Haven't had a speeding ticket since 2007.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rich,

I'm confident in saying that many of us who participated in NEVA 13 are willing to help out with the research and planning of NEVA 14. While I live a fair distance from North Adams, it certainly is within riding distance and will give me another reason to zoom out that way and motor around. What is it that you need help with? Maybe you should consider starting another thread entitled "NEVA 14" so your requests don't go unnoticed in this thread.

I'm sure a lot of the other guys'll agree that you're a 'jolly good fellow' and, if it wasn't for most of us closing in on geezerdom, we'd have hoisted you up on our shoulders, shouted "Hip hip hooray" and paraded you around the campground that final morning up in Wilmington. :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Baba

1 - 14 of 14 Posts